[Partial Conversion] DipSwitch - An Arcade-ish take on Doom!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dwim-pon

[Partial Conversion] DipSwitch - An Arcade-ish take on Doom!

Post by Dwim-pon »

About two years ago, I started learning DECORATE, ACS and UDMF to see if I could do silly stuff with it. After experimenting for a bit, I started working on a MASSIVELY overambitious project: A 5-stage partial conversion of Doom inspired by arcade games of yore, with revamped weapons, enemies and mechanics. Needless to say, I didn't go far: I pretty much finished the gameplay part, but mapping on such a scale was just too much for me. So I sat on it for a while, until I decided to retool it to make it work with the sole level I had completed, adding a bit more meat to it as well as a proper ending... ladies and gentlemen, I present to you DipSwitch!

(Only for GZDoom, requires doom2.wad) Map tested in GZDoom 4.5.0 and 4.10.0, no big problem noted! Jumping and freelook are both required.
Spoiler: What's DipSwitch?
It's the first time I release such a big project, so I'd love to get feedback on it! It's still pretty rough around the edges in some parts so I'm definitely planning to update it some more.
Thanks so much!
Last edited by Dwim-pon on Wed May 31, 2023 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dwim-pon

Re: [Partial Conversion] DipSwitch - An Arcade-ish take on Doom!

Post by Dwim-pon »

Released update 1.05!
Spoiler: Changelog
Edit: Quickly pushed version 1.06 because I forgot to set TITLEMAP to "fade to black" initially. Whoops!
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

This was an absolute joy to play through, though I am yet to find whatever secrets it holds!

Aside the Hell Knight issue (which according to the changelog has been fixed in the latest version), the only other problems I found were:
- In the final wave arena, in the second wave an imp spawned right on top of me and made me stuck for a second until a suicide bomber set me free with a bang.
- In the boss arena, I got stuck on a piece of debris and ate a few rockets.

Regardless I really enjoyed this mod!
It was a very fun little experience all around.
julmust
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by julmust »

Hey this was great fun!

I love the arcady feel, great work with the GUI and HUD. Also the checkpoint system works great to add to the feeling. Also the variation in gameplay and the level markers were very nice. Great work!
Dwim-pon

Post by Dwim-pon »

Thank you both, that's really nice! <3
Jarewill wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:57 am This was an absolute joy to play through, though I am yet to find whatever secrets it holds!

Aside the Hell Knight issue (which according to the changelog has been fixed in the latest version), the only other problems I found were:
- In the final wave arena, in the second wave an imp spawned right on top of me and made me stuck for a second until a suicide bomber set me free with a bang.
- In the boss arena, I got stuck on a piece of debris and ate a few rockets.

Regardless I really enjoyed this mod!
It was a very fun little experience all around.
The "stuck in a monster" bug has a very silly reason behind it - it's because enemies don't actually spawn during second waves! They're here from the start, just dormant, invisible and tagged as non-solid - I simply "wake" them up and spawn teleport puffs on them when the first wave is done. It's a very convenient solution for my purposes, but if you're EXACTLY where a monster is supposed to spawn it can lead to stuff like this. I'll try to find a better way to handle this to prevent this kinds of situations!

As for the boss arena debris getting you stuck, that's duly noted! I'll try to place them in a different place.
julmust
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by julmust »

The only thing I didn't understand was the point system, how does it work? Why do you redeem coins?

I was thinking about how to add to the arcady feel - you could ramp up the damage points of the weapons, and then spam 3x-4x the monsters to create a gibb-fest!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”