Slight site issues

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Slight site issues

Post by Gourry »

I've noticed now on firefox that after logging in that it says that the zdoom forum "connection not secure" for site info. It didn't do that before; would there be a way to fix this?

Not sure if this is the right forum section for this.

Edit: It seems to be working fine for now. Don't know how to do fix this on my end.
It goes "not secure" every time I update firefox, but after a couple of days; it 's fine again.
Last edited by Gourry on Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFADoomer

Re: Slight site issues

Post by AFADoomer »

I'm on firefox and don't get this message...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Also on Firefox; also not getting that message.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I see this on rare occasions; the first thing you should double check is whether the date and time settings on your computer or device are correct. Web security certificates have specific dates and times on them, and the first thing they check is whether your machine has roughly the same current time as the server. If they don't, you get errors. Some browsers will even throw a big scary splash page about how the certificate is invalid and you should turn back.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

wildweasel wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:36 am I see this on rare occasions; the first thing you should double check is whether the date and time settings on your computer or device are correct. Web security certificates have specific dates and times on them, and the first thing they check is whether your machine has roughly the same current time as the server. If they don't, you get errors. Some browsers will even throw a big scary splash page about how the certificate is invalid and you should turn back.
I see, I'll check that out.

It's been a few days since firefox update so it seems the problem fixed itself now.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

I've been having some trouble accessing the forums recently. When it happens, in Firefox the site keeps loading for about a minute or so, and then shows a blank screen (not even an error page); in Chrome, it just seems to load endlessly.

I first thought it was something to do with my PC, and after a reboot the problem indeed seemed to have gone away - but then it appeared again after a short while. Ultimately, it seems to be somewhat random, and since I haven't noticed it happen to any other website so far, I have to conclude it probably originates here, and not on my end, so I'd like to report it just in case.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Player701 »

I'm going to post here instead of in the news thread to avoid cluttering it unnecessarily.

A small update after the last report:
  1. I've found some other websites that also seem to be affected by this problem: Reddit and the OpenStreetMap tile server (tile.openstreetmap.org). Both of these are apparently hosted by Fastly, however, the ZDoom forums are not. It also looks as if whenever this issue starts manifesting, it affects all of these sites simultaneously.
  2. I also experience similar issues when attempting to browse the affected sites from other machines connected to my home network, but the symptoms are less severe: the sites do load, but it still takes much longer than usual (e.g. up to 30 seconds before the style sheets are visually applied).
So it might not be a server issue after all. Perhaps something in between is messing up HTTPS connections, as all requests to port 80 are still processed nearly instantaneously.

Not sure if the constant logouts are related to this: had one more happen to me today, even though I was using another browser and had cleared all cookies and login keys beforehand. And Graf said he was having them too, so this likely warrants a separate investigation.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I can't investigate a problem I don't have. It would require knowing what causes the problem and being able to reliably reproduce it. Without that, it is a shot in the dark at what is causing it and fixing problems that way is sure to lead to disaster - sorry I am not taking that risk, especially not with this site which thousands of others use every single day - the massive majority (>99%) of whom do not have this problem.

If it's your security or privacy settings, it may be worth reviewing those, and seeing if you can add an exception to this site. But let's be real here - for you, it's so much easier to throw the problem at me and say that it's my problem and that I have to just magically provide some solution for it out of thin-air, than it is for you to take an in-depth analysis at what is actually happening with things and settings on your end that I do not have access to - because thousands of people do not share this problem that you have - and I certainly don't want to break things for them just to fix one problem from one person, especially if I don't know what the problem is, it would risk breaking things without providing a real solution, that would be negligent and irresponsible.

If you can actually find the real cause of it, and let me know, then we can determine if any server-side fixes need to be made. But otherwise - I cannot help you.
Gourry

Post by Gourry »

Rachael wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:01 am I can't investigate a problem I don't have. It would require knowing what causes the problem and being able to reliably reproduce it. Without that, it is a shot in the dark at what is causing it and fixing problems that way is sure to lead to disaster - sorry I am not taking that risk, especially not with this site which thousands of others use every single day - the massive majority (>99%) of whom do not have this problem.

If it's your security or privacy settings, it may be worth reviewing those, and seeing if you can add an exception to this site. But let's be real here - for you, it's so much easier to throw the problem at me and say that it's my problem and that I have to just magically provide some solution for it out of thin-air, than it is for you to take an in-depth analysis at what is actually happening with things and settings on your end that I do not have access to - because thousands of people do not share this problem that you have - and I certainly don't want to break things for them just to fix one problem from one person, especially if I don't know what the problem is, it would risk breaking things without providing a real solution, that would be negligent and irresponsible.

If you can actually find the real cause of it, and let me know, then we can determine if any server-side fixes need to be made. But otherwise - I cannot help you.
Thank you for letting me know; I'll look into the suggestions for this from everyone.

Return to “Off-Topic”