SOLVED ??? How to Remove PolyObjects with 3D Models Attached ???

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Moebius

SOLVED ??? How to Remove PolyObjects with 3D Models Attached ???

Post by Moebius »

I have a doorway with two doors that open left/right. The door shapes are not rectangular. Using ZScript by 'boris' I have two 3D models attached to the PolyObjects. The doors work fine on their own.
After the Player goes through the doors and navigates to a point farther in the map, I want to replace the polyobject doors with an animated door sequence. The animated door sequence works fine on its own.
My plan was to remove the polyobject doors and then move the two ACTORS that are the animated sequence into the same place.
If nothing in in the 'space' the two ACTORS will move to the MAP SPOT and the animated sequence can be activated. However, Thing_Move won't move the ACTORS if the polyobject is still in the 'space'.
How do I remove the two door polyobject with 3D models attached?
1) I've tried removing the the PolyObject Start Point and Anchors. Also tried moving them to a MAP SPOT in a sector outside of the playable MAP.
2) I tried SetLineSpecial to change the Start Line of the polyobjects to nothing.
3) I tried lowering the ceiling of the PolyObject sectors to the floor. (This works for plain polyobject doors, but not if a 3D model is attached)
Any brilliant mappers out there that might have some suggestions?
Last edited by Moebius on Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moebius

Re: ??? How to Remove PolyObjects with 3D Models Attached ???

Post by Moebius »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l0mee2 ... sp=sharing

I made a little test map to show what I would like to happen.

1. Player can go through Door A all they want until they reach a point farther into the MAP.
2. When they get to that point I want the 3D model polyobject door to go away. It would then be like Door B opening.
3. The two animated ACTORs would then move to the empty Door opening. (Cross the yellow line)
4. The Player can now try to open the Door, but instead gets the animation.

Can't figure out how to remove the 3D model polyobject door. Animated ACTORs won't move unless the opening is clear of them.
usernameGoonAgain

Post by usernameGoonAgain »

I think with polyobject_start_line on two-side lines there are atleast two hacky-ways to get the polys to vanish.

1) Leave the polys where they are but remove their polydoor action specials and line block flags. They have no midtextures but the poly models seemingly can be hid by lowering the polyobject dummy sector vertically. No idea if this is legal and will work in future versions.

2) Although the polyobjects are set up to be doors you can do any other poly movement to them. Just move them out of sight. The sound effect in polyobject_start_line action needs to be handled some other way.

Test wads here, run as GZDoom.exe -file D3Door.pk3 testwad.wad:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3w2ez3m5i648 ... s.zip?dl=1
Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Thanks UNGA, I also posted this question on Doomworld and got a response. I was told you can't "remove" polyobjects from a MAP. Once constructed they will always exist. I knew the 3D models wouldn't move with the polyobject doors there so my mind was stuck on removing them, not moving them. You just have to move them out of the way. So I ended up using 4 Polyobj_Move to open the doors permanently and then the 3D models would move in to place.

Appreciate the help.

Return to “Mapping”