[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Re: [0.9.3] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Clipboard function is currently not working on my phone - the last mod in the order that's cut-off is Ultimate Custom Doom by m8f:

This is on GZDoom 4.8.2 on Delta Touch, Samsung S10+

Question: Do revived monsters from Revivification supposedly expire on their own like via a timer eventually? If not, I guess I'm way off base about my report and it can be ignored as I suppose that means something else is happening. :D Just to add, the death just happens after some time alongside revived monsters when no other action is happening.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:14 amQuestion: Do revived monsters from Revivification supposedly expire on their own like via a timer eventually? If not, I guess I'm way off base about my report and it can be ignored as I suppose that means something else is happening. :D Just to add, the death just happens after some time alongside revived monsters when no other action is happening.
From what I've read in changelogs, yeah, they're supposed to expire on their own; but only after being out of combat for an extended period.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

I did some testing, I was able to limit the unusual interaction to just deal with a specific monster from silentzora's Zagemod - the Blind Mech (variant of a Demon)

After successfully reviving the monster in question and the monster is culled from inactivity, I end up getting a near-lethal amount damage (or absolutely lethal at times) a few ticks after. I was able to reliably try it by just repeatedly spawning and killing a Blind Mech.

I checked the code for the monster and found this bit here:

Code: Select all

XDeath:
    	//TNT1 H 0 A_Jump(128,2)
	//TNT1 H 0 A_SetScale(-1,1)
	TNT1 A 0 A_Jump(232,2)
	TNT1 A 0 A_GiveToTarget("GibTaunt",1,AAPTR_DEFAULT)
    	CYFN I 0 A_SetMass(400)
	TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEX("GoreSpawner",0,0,7,0,0,0,0,SXF_UseBloodColor)
	CYFN A 0 A_SpawnItemEX("LesserLootSpawner",1)
	CYFN O 4 A_PlaySound("demon/gib",CHAN_AUTO)
	CYFN P 4
	CYFN Q 0 A_PlaySound("misc/gibbed",CHAN_AUTO)
	CYFN Q 4 A_NoBlocking
	CYFN RSTUV 4
	CYFN W -1 A_KillMaster
Those A_KillMaster functions I believe are for taunt activities but when the Blind Mech is revivified, I guess the player gets set as the master? :D Oddly enough, I can't replicate the same results in other variants of pinkies or monsters. The concept is used in a couple of monsters in there.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

How to increase the exp gain on weapons? Not sure if I need to slide to the left or right for it?
What is exp cost multiplier?
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Gourry wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:30 pm How to increase the exp gain on weapons? Not sure if I need to slide to the left or right for it?
It's exactly what the name says it is. A multiplier for the EXP cost to level up. Higher means you need more EXP to level up.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

Before I forget again. Make the hud has transparency options.
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

retronutcase wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:21 pm
Gourry wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:30 pm How to increase the exp gain on weapons? Not sure if I need to slide to the left or right for it?
It's exactly what the name says it is. A multiplier for the EXP cost to level up. Higher means you need more EXP to level up.
So it doesn't increase extra xp gain then?
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

The only options that are "XP cost multipliers" are the settings for melee and wimpy weapons; by default those level up faster to counterbalance the fact that they're harder/more dangerous to use (in addition to getting some unique upgrades). The actual mechanic is that the amount of XP needed to level up those weapons is reduced, so higher values == slower leveling for those weapons, with 1.0 being "no change from the default".

If you want to change the rate at which you level up for everything, you basically have two options:
- adjust the "XP gain from damage" and "XP gain from score" settings. High values == faster leveling. These are mostly for tuning the relationship between how much XP you get from killing things vs. how much XP you get from scoring points in mods like Reelism or LazyPoints, but you can also use them as just a general purpose XP gain rate setting.
- adjust the "base level up cost" value. This is how much XP it takes to reach level 1 (with XP for higher levels being multiples of that). Higher values == slower leveling. Default is 1200.
MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:20 pm I did some testing, I was able to limit the unusual interaction to just deal with a specific monster from silentzora's Zagemod - the Blind Mech (variant of a Demon)

After successfully reviving the monster in question and the monster is culled from inactivity, I end up getting a near-lethal amount damage (or absolutely lethal at times) a few ticks after. I was able to reliably try it by just repeatedly spawning and killing a Blind Mech.

[...]
Well, that's a charmingly weird bug. And yeah, Revivification sets the revived creatures to have the player as their master, as well as setting the +FRIENDLY flag on them. I'll see if it works with no master instead and if so, that's an easy fix.
Netheritor wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 pm Before I forget again. Make the hud has transparency options.
Will do.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Here are these upgrade ideas,
but I don't know if already in here, or they can work?
A auto rapid fire upgrade?
like some weapons you always have to click repeatedly to shoot,
so something like autofire upgrade? so you just hold to fire now.

Then maybe Spread shot fire upgrade for projectile weapons?
like for plasma guns or rockets.

Mostly these upgrade ideas are from Contra.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

In my opinion, auto shot can be tricky. There are multiple fire mode for a weapon. I just hope the modder can have code to detect fire mode and applying the upgrade.
For spread shot, the modder seems has difficulty about that.
ToxicFrog, maybe this idea can become the alternative of spread shot. Instead spreading the shot, do a multishot. Basically, instead firing a single pellet for a pistol, it fires 2 pellets at once. Now, I don't know if this upgrade should be in weapon or player though.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

You sure there is an issue with ashes afterglow? I played it and when upgrading weapon, the weapons doesn't go into lv 0. (ashes afterglow v1.05)
Xim

Post by Xim »

Netheritor wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:49 am You sure there is an issue with ashes afterglow? I played it and when upgrading weapon, the weapons doesn't go into lv 0. (ashes afterglow v1.05)
It works with the full version, but the standalone weapons version has the lvls reset on the upgraded weapons.
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

The BONSAIRC block that activates that mode might not activate in the standalone version -- it looks for ItemAthena to be defined and perhaps that isn't in the standalone version, which I didn't test it with.

Probably an easy fix? If I make it key off JunkerMusket instead I think it'll work for both versions.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I'm not sure what caused it or how to reproduce it, but I had a moment in Naku-Naru where I had 1 level in "Rapid Fire" on the Stoegar Coach Gun, and when I started a new level, the speed went back to normal. And after switching to a different weapon and back, it was faster again.

And one thing I noticed when trying to get crashes in Lambda (I had it crash in an earlier version and didn't report it) when you use the full screen size (Screen Size 12, which enables the Half-Life HUD in this mod) the Gun Bonsai widget goes away. Kinda wish it would stay. I can understand not wanting it to be in the way of screenshots, but couldn't you turn off the widget in that case?
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:45 am I'm not sure what caused it or how to reproduce it, but I had a moment in Naku-Naru where I had 1 level in "Rapid Fire" on the Stoegar Coach Gun, and when I started a new level, the speed went back to normal. And after switching to a different weapon and back, it was faster again.

And one thing I noticed when trying to get crashes in Lambda (I had it crash in an earlier version and didn't report it) when you use the full screen size (Screen Size 12, which enables the Half-Life HUD in this mod) the Gun Bonsai widget goes away. Kinda wish it would stay. I can understand not wanting it to be in the way of screenshots, but couldn't you turn off the widget in that case?
I've noticed a few mods which overwrite the HUD . Have to check again which ones .

Return to “Gameplay Mods”