Solved - Crouching Tunnel Is One-Way Only - Not Intended

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Moebius

Solved - Crouching Tunnel Is One-Way Only - Not Intended

Post by Moebius »

Appreciate any help here.

1. Working on a recreation of Alpha Labs 1 from Doom 3. At the end of the EPD Laser Hallway there is a small tunnel. When I first made the pass-through I had no problems. Now It will not let the Player through or on the rarest occasion, will let him through once in the right direction. The Player can easily pass through from the other end, but in game play that is backwards. Sometimes you can backup and get through, but only once.

2. I've removed the handle 3D models from the area; I've made the opening bigger; I changed where the floor slope in front of the opening starts; I got rid of the floor slope; I got rid of the 3D sector above the opening; all with no resolution.

3. What is wrong with my map? I'm about ready to punch my monitor. I don't care if it's something easy and/or stupid. You'll save me time, money (new monitor) and my sanity.

4. Newest Player Start is on the opposite end of the tunnel. Can move or remove with UDB or other Builder to start on correct side of tunnel.

Map = D3AlphaLabs1.pk3 is for Doom 2. 38MB
Also need: D3Retro_hires_v3.7.pk3

Download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XG8gZN ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Moebius on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moebius

Re: Crouching Tunnel Is One-Way Only - Not Intended

Post by Moebius »

5. I have another question. No matter what angle I give my Ambient Sound sprites they always sound louder if I turn the Players back to them. Is there some other way to "directionalize" them? You'd think the sound would be the loudest when you face where the sprites is.
Moebius

Post by Moebius »

6. I deleted the area and rebuilt it. This is what happens now.

7. If you crouch before trying to entry the pass-through you might get through the first time, but never again.

8. If you walk up to the opening, tight to the wall, and then crouch, you can get through, repeatedly.

9. I loaded the original map from the PK3 file and walking up tight to the wall; then crouching, you're still not getting through.

10. I scale the Player, Monsters, and Decorations up by 1.5 in order for them to fit the Doom 3 heights. Deleted the scaling from the original map and it didn't help.

Post by Guest »

In the above map the tunnel blocking seems not to happen if the type 181 floor sloping of sectors #1335, 1379 and 1380 is removed. The sloped floor seems to go through the 3d floor used as the floor.

There's no blocking either if those sectors are sloped by using the UDMF sloping: rotation 0, angle 63, offset 8.
Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Thank you so much! Was driving me crazy.

Return to “Mapping”