Space Cats Saga 2.0 (Update 3.0) massive new update incoming

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DerTimmy

Re: Space Cats Saga Chapter 2: Macrocosm (Update 1.5)

Post by DerTimmy »

I am currently working on Version 2.0.
-Alot new effects and tweaks for every weapon
-new death animations for every enemy
-crosshairs for every weapon
-complete overhaul of commander aemi
-2 new gigantic maps with new monsters, new textures and animations. weed and flower randomizer.

Some screenies
Spoiler:
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

DerTimmy wrote:I am currently working on Version 2.0.
-Alot new effects and tweaks for every weapon
-new death animations for every enemy
-crosshairs for every weapon
-complete overhaul of commander aemi
-2 new gigantic maps with new monsters, new textures and animations. weed and flower randomizer.

Some screenies
Spoiler:
Man those maps look really impressive! Really captures the late 80's- 90's looks of retro space. Loving the extra foliage as well breathing more life into the locales. Looking very promising. Keep up the great work! :D
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Wooooaaa finished my first playthrough of the campaign! WHAT A RIDE!!! :woh:

I loved every moment of that, the final battles were absolutely relentless. There were multiple times where I was like "oh this is totally the last level of the campaign" only to be surprised with yet another epic mega map with even higher stakes. :laff:

I'll definitely play this one again and save it for safekeeping as a classic in my archives - very great mod!

I played this run on v1.1, so I'm excited to upgrade to v1.5 for that faster weapon switching. Lux's weapon set is just glorious; the 8 barrel hyper shotgun is straight like that scene in Expendables where that dude uses that AA12 shotgun to clear out an entire corridor worth of bad guys - same energy! 8-)

The entire arsenal felt great to use too, though the Lux's BFG railgun altfire felt vastly weak tactically. Primary fire was always the better option to use.

Excited to hear about v2.0, those upcoming improvements sound excellent!
DerTimmy

Post by DerTimmy »

Im glad that you enjoyed it :wub:

Im half done with the update. Version 2.0 will be wild.
-Comes with Add-On campaign "The Battle on Tangraan". currently got 2 Maps almost done. New Setting and enemies (a forest planet with beastly new monsters)
-It has alot new death animations for every enemy, new effects and some tweaks to most weapons. New crosshairs and a gauge to keep better track of energy.
-Dynamic lights to objects and more variants of each. I made alot new textures which i will use to enhance some of the campaign lvls.
-Commander Aemi will get an complete overhaul 8-)
-Yaeskas electric knuckles got an overhaul and new combo attacks
-every girl got her own voice and taunts
-I will draw new mugshots and finally will add player models for every girl

I will put a teaser together as soon as i finished the 2nd extra map. But it will still take some time before release.

(mostly) done already:
-most new death animations (new damagetypes -laser -electro)
-First new Map "Viciousness"
-crosshairs
-new enemies
-new look to painelemental and lost souls
-new glowing bulletpuff effects for every weapon
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Just finished played as the other two characters (in v1.5) and had these thoughts:

--

Yaeska
Where as Lux's arsenal felt like its own thing, Yaeska's weaponry felt like an original doom weaponry reskin - some extras here and there, but mostly felt like I could've just been playing as default doom guy. Also significantly weaker compared to Lux too.

Spear's primary attack is overshadowed by the alt fire swipe both in power and width.
Starter gun has great primary fire, but alt fire feels both weak (impact and damage wise) and has notable pause that makes using the alt attack not so desirable compared to just overloading the gun to reset it back to 0 energy.

Shotgun is very similar to Lux's - I was expecting it to be dramatically different, both primary and altfire wise.
Super Shotty is basically doom 2's original super shotty, but with projectiles instead of hitscan which can be less useful in tight spaces as some pellets may be stopped by wall corners. Its effective, sure, but after the 8-barrel mega monsters I got with Lux I was expecting something more exotic than this.
Minigun is effective full auto and fuller auto - same as Lux's, except rate of fire on both accounts felt weaker, despite Yaeska being advertised as being better with rapid fire weapons.

Rocketlauncher's primary felt fairly weak, thought fast. Altfire was a real standout in Yaeska's arsenal, being something unique and effective overall.
Plasma gun was pretty good too, along with the splash damage altfire. Worthy.
BFG looked impressive, but had low effectiveness/damage against groups or bosses - the plasma gun ended up being far better option overall.

--

Aemi
I really liked her old arsenal way more from Chapter 1, now everything seems like a big downgrade from before.
Laser machinegun ain't what it used to be, the shipwrecker/rocket swap don't feel right and the plasma gun is odd - no bouncy shots and alt fire is nigh-invisible, thought atleast it doesn't eat my ammo ridiculously fast anymore.

The only things I didn't like in the old arsenal was the somewhat low-quality feel and delay of rocket launcher's altfire (the fire thrower carpet attack) and the plasma guns consuming ammo way too fast, everything else worked excellent.

While I miss her old supershotgun alt fire, her new super shotgun's both firing modes are hella satisfying.
Regular shotgun is a miss though, I end up not using it at all once the super shotty is found. Could definitely use a rework to make it useful alongside the supershotty.

--

Lux
Her basic shotgun alt fire causes lag/slow down when it rips through enemies - probably due to Nash Gore. Would be great if there was a way to fix that somehow. Same issue exist's in Yaeska's incendiary grenade (rocket launcher alt fire), causing some lag when blasting larger targets - most notable with cyberdemons.

--

I'd wish to see more exotic changes to Yaeska's basic weaponry (slots 1-3-4) to make them more fun to use as they are with Lux. Meanwhile Aemi's old arsenal was better, though I'm excited to see what her rework will be like in v2.0.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

While Lux does feel like more of a powerhouse, Yaeska feels like a balanced run n' gun type, as you said more similar to the regular Doom weaponry. It still feels like sometimes her BFG is hit or miss, but that could be more on the user's error.

As for her main weapon, you have to "rain" down the plasma on a group. It still feels a lot weaker than Lux's main weapon, but once you get the hang of it, you'll find it can deal comparable damage in a shorter range. However, the difference between her plasma rifle and rocket launcher alt-fires compared to Lux, are like night and day. (Note: Both Lux's and yaeska's RLs used to be MUCH weaker!)

I switched to Yaeska midway through my playthrough so maybe seeing how I play her can help a bit. Due to my erratic recording schedule not all the videos are posted yet. Sorry. :D

Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

The latest episode of my Space Cats 2 playthrough just went live. Let me know what you think. :D

spectrefps

Post by spectrefps »

I recently discovered Part 1 of this mod, and immediately fell in love with it. The art style, badass space catgirl, the WEAPONS, the level design, the monsters, all of it. Getting Part 2 was a no brainer! I am loving the different classes and loadouts. I have a minor nitpick/question about Part 2 so far: is the results/post-level art (that "purple camo" background) just a placeholder art for now? I got so used to the 80s-style action-pinup splash art of Part 1, that I thought I had messed up my mod load order when I saw the current "results" splash art! (was hoping to see a splash of the new characters on that screen instead XD) I loved the style of the results-screen art in Part 1, and I hope you can bring back a similar style in Part 2! (perhaps with art of all 3 characters on the results screen?) :D

Anyways, amazing mod/characters/world!! And I look forward to that next update! (definitely a high point to round out an otherwise stressful month for me XD)

Update: I went and took a look at the nekomimisociety DeviantArt gallery (tons of amazing art of the characters from this mod, and more!), I can see there is a TON of potential splash art for this mod!! :D Super excited to see more of it (if possible) make it's way into the mod as time goes on!
DerTimmy

Post by DerTimmy »

spectrefps wrote:I recently discovered Part 1 of this mod, and immediately fell in love with it. The art style, badass space catgirl, the WEAPONS, the level design, the monsters, all of it. Getting Part 2 was a no brainer! I am loving the different classes and loadouts. I have a minor nitpick/question about Part 2 so far: is the results/post-level art (that "purple camo" background) just a placeholder art for now? I got so used to the 80s-style action-pinup splash art of Part 1, that I thought I had messed up my mod load order when I saw the current "results" splash art! (was hoping to see a splash of the new characters on that screen instead XD) I loved the style of the results-screen art in Part 1, and I hope you can bring back a similar style in Part 2! (perhaps with art of all 3 characters on the results screen?) :D

Anyways, amazing mod/characters/world!! And I look forward to that next update! (definitely a high point to round out an otherwise stressful month for me XD)

Update: I went and took a look at the nekomimisociety DeviantArt gallery (tons of amazing art of the characters from this mod, and more!), I can see there is a TON of potential splash art for this mod!! :D Super excited to see more of it (if possible) make it's way into the mod as time goes on!
the new update is almost complete. im working on new art just now. if im happy with the results almost all pictures get replaced.
spectrefps

Post by spectrefps »

AWESOME!! :D I know that the art must be only a fraction of all of the hard work that goes into this, but I'm still super excited to hear this news! Also, GREAT ART!! (if anyone isn't already aware, check out their DA gallery for a ton of awesome art of the SCS ladies! :D)
Grey Rook

Post by Grey Rook »

I must say, this mod is impressive. The campaign is well done, and the weapons are useful without being too overpowered. The music's good, and the levels make use of blended techbase and hell environments in a way I haven't seen before... though admittedly I'm far from well read on that front.

I have run into a few issues, though; mostly misaligned textures and such, though in the level Sinbreed I got stuck in the red key arena. I fought through the horde, walked in, the door closed... and nothing. No enemy spawns, and the only button I could find was semi-hidden and spawned an invincibility power up when pressed. Ultimately, I ended up noclipping through the pillar and the door.

This sort of happened again on Commander of Hate: I work my way through the giant lava cavern, jump down into the lava whirlpool, wipe out the waiting guards, go through the flesh portal, push the button. A large group of pinkies spawn in and attack, I wipe them out, and... nothing. No more spawns, no buttons becoming available, just me wandering around the arena wondering if I was missing something. The best guess I have is that I was playing on HNTR instead of a higher difficulty and the dev overlooked something in the scripting.

That aside, the mod is really well done and I hope to see more of it. Thank you. :)
DerTimmy

Post by DerTimmy »

Grey Rook wrote:I must say, this mod is impressive. The campaign is well done, and the weapons are useful without being too overpowered. The music's good, and the levels make use of blended techbase and hell environments in a way I haven't seen before... though admittedly I'm far from well read on that front.

I have run into a few issues, though; mostly misaligned textures and such, though in the level Sinbreed I got stuck in the red key arena. I fought through the horde, walked in, the door closed... and nothing. No enemy spawns, and the only button I could find was semi-hidden and spawned an invincibility power up when pressed. Ultimately, I ended up noclipping through the pillar and the door.

This sort of happened again on Commander of Hate: I work my way through the giant lava cavern, jump down into the lava whirlpool, wipe out the waiting guards, go through the flesh portal, push the button. A large group of pinkies spawn in and attack, I wipe them out, and... nothing. No more spawns, no buttons becoming available, just me wandering around the arena wondering if I was missing something. The best guess I have is that I was playing on HNTR instead of a higher difficulty and the dev overlooked something in the scripting.

That aside, the mod is really well done and I hope to see more of it. Thank you. :)
im sry if anything broke.
with version 2.0 every map got big updates. its not comparable with version 1.5.
TITLEPICdasd222.png
SCS Chapter 2.0 is finished. There will be playtesting this week and the release should be May the 6th!

And i finally finished the Character sprites :)
players.png
Grey Rook

Post by Grey Rook »

DerTimmy wrote: im sry if anything broke.
with version 2.0 every map got big updates. its not comparable with version 1.5.
TITLEPICdasd222.png
SCS Chapter 2.0 is finished. There will be playtesting this week and the release should be May the 6th!

And i finally finished the Character sprites :)
players.png
Stuff breaking happens to everyone. Hopefully, the new version fixes the problem. I presume that it is due to scripting errors, but I don't actually know anything about mapping. :oops: Looking forwards to the final release, and I hope that the testing phase goes well for you.
DerTimmy

Post by DerTimmy »

Here is a look at some overhauled Areas.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”