LiveReverb - dynamic reverb for all Doom maps!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: LiveReverb - dynamic reverb for all Doom maps!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Tried again with some different combinations, and i think it was the mapset's fault. So ignore me, this works fine with Kinsie's midi-silence hack.
Sunbeam

Re: ¡Incredible!

Post by Sunbeam »

luisgph wrote:this mod its impressive, well is some simple scripts and with that is created something awesome thank you sunbeam: for getting this mods simple but awesome :)
Thanks! Yes, I tried to keep it simple. 🙂
luisgph wrote:this mod its impressive, well is some simple scripts and with that is created something awesome thank you sunbeam: for getting this mods simple but awesome :)
Good to know!
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

Really sick mod! It's a pretty clever way to make it work, and the idea is pretty nice. Perfect for PSX-style maps!
I also noticed that it only uses two functions that Zandronum doesn't support, GetDistance and SpawnProjectile (in the case of the latter, it's technically implemented I think but it's broken), both of which can be easily replaced.

So I made a Zandronum version :p
I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate but it seems to be close enough and works alright, and I also cleaned it up a bit, for instance now it doesn't use a static TID, instead uses UniqueTID to reduce conflicts (1337 is a more common TID than you'd think lol). It also works in multiplayer... maybe lol I didn't test it, but it's accounted for, kinda.
Could I post this at the Zandronum forums, btw (obviously full credit to you)?
Attachments
LiveReverb_Zan.pk3
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Hey that's nice! 🙂

Oops, I think I wanted to change the TID before release but somehow forgot it... Yeah, I thought as much that this number shouldn't be used in "production". 😉

Yes you can. Go ahead! 🙂
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro

Post by TDRR »

Nice, thank you!

EDIT: The version I posted previously is broken, forgot that double vars passed to ACS scripts get cast to plain ints (no decimal at all), so as the distance calculated in the script was in fixed point, it was WAY off (like 65536 times off :p).

Here's a link to the Zandronum forums post, with a fixed version: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10255
shaodoomkahn
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by shaodoomkahn »

it's would be good if there mod to add horror dynamic
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

TDRR wrote:Here's a link to the Zandronum forums post, with a fixed version: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10255
Thanks for the info!
TDRR wrote:EDIT: The version I posted previously is broken, forgot that double vars passed to ACS scripts get cast to plain ints (no decimal at all), so as the distance calculated in the script was in fixed point, it was WAY off (like 65536 times off :p).
Yeah I know the problem. GZDoom (and Zandronum, respectively) has so many small details one needs to pay attention to. Good you figured that out. 🙂
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

I'm kinda torn on this one;
On one hand, the ambience and atmosphere of a soundscape of PSX/N64 Doom is enhanced (especially with Dead Marine), The uneasy emotion is driven down to precise it's unmistakable.
On the other hand, It's REALLY wonky with Vanilla sounds and music; A lot of rooms sound too hollow and one's ears bleed when low health and Invincibility. (But the effects are soooo good)

I find it essential for a more slow-paced experience but the faster-paced experience really suffers. Maybe a slider or option that reduces the Reverb strength across the board would be the best thing so that the player can find their own sweet spot.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Kazudra wrote:I'm kinda torn on this one;
On one hand, the ambience and atmosphere of a soundscape of PSX/N64 Doom is enhanced (especially with Dead Marine), The uneasy emotion is driven down to precise it's unmistakable.
On the other hand, It's REALLY wonky with Vanilla sounds and music; A lot of rooms sound too hollow and one's ears bleed when low health and Invincibility. (But the effects are soooo good)

I find it essential for a more slow-paced experience but the faster-paced experience really suffers. Maybe a slider or option that reduces the Reverb strength across the board would be the best thing so that the player can find their own sweet spot.
Thanks for the feedback!

You can disable the effects for low health and invulnerability in the options menu (see readme file).

Unfortunately adding a general slider for reverb is impossible. This mod uses some features built into the engine. And it's all based around some pre-defined reverb "environments", which (to my knowledge) can't be changed by code.
Well since custom environments can be added (by modders), there would be the possibility to create several "sets" of environments with more or less reverb. The mod could then use the set according to the chosen settings.
But that's quite some hassle. Also I wanted to stay close to the default values in order to avoid possible future incompatibilities.

The best thing of course would be to be able to change reverb environment settings on the fly while running the game. This would allow the most precise reverb for each room. However there are a lot of settings for each environment. Getting things right isn't trivial.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Strangely enough it's breaking map06 of this wad. The doors at the beginning prematurely close before you can get close.
Also map04 of this one. After going in the door to the right of start there's a door on the right that leads to a bathroom. After opening the door something raises up and you can't go in.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

This mod is utter genius in it's execution and impact on gameplay!! They only flaw, and I mean ONLY flaw, is the reverb doesn't take Windows in a room into account. Is it at all possible to add this distinction when calculated the amount of them?
nightsidez

Post by nightsidez »

How to leave the reverb effect when picking up the invincibility item permanently, without having to pick up the item? Is there a way to edit and leave it like this?
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Skrell wrote:This mod is utter genius in it's execution and impact on gameplay!! They only flaw, and I mean ONLY flaw, is the reverb doesn't take Windows in a room into account. Is it at all possible to add this distinction when calculated the amount of them?
Thanks! :)
Well it DOES take windows into account. Play for example Doom2 map 01 and take a look at the room with the large window.
However everything the mod does is an approximation and therefore not all room shapes provide realistic results.
nightsidez wrote:How to leave the reverb effect when picking up the invincibility item permanently, without having to pick up the item? Is there a way to edit and leave it like this?
You would have to create your own script to do this or find another way. I don't know any from the top of my head.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Sunbeam wrote:
Skrell wrote:This mod is utter genius in it's execution and impact on gameplay!! They only flaw, and I mean ONLY flaw, is the reverb doesn't take Windows in a room into account. Is it at all possible to add this distinction when calculated the amount of them?
Thanks! :)
Well it DOES take windows into account. Play for example Doom2 map 01 and take a look at the room with the large window.
However everything the mod does is an approximation and therefore not all room shapes provide realistic results.
My apologies then! This mod is one of the MOST transformative mods ever for DOOM. Now I know it is literally perfection. :)
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

I'm happy that you enjoy the mod so much! Thanks for your kind words. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”