DopeFish is the only full GML Doom/Heretic map loading system for GMS2.3+ (so far as I'm aware)
So what does DopeFish do?
DF reads wad files straight from within your GameMaker project, and interprets the data that they contain, the textures, sprites, maps, and so on. It takes this data and constructs a 3D level and fills it with content, and quite efficiently.
I decided to begin work on DF ages ago in the hopes that it would facilitate the creation of more 3D content in GameMaker by allowing developers to utilize a widely known format for their projects, using a whole host of battle tested tools.
However, DF is not a source port, it's not beholden to the gameplay of the boomer shooters of yesteryore, you are not bound by creed to create only a doomlike clone using DF. Why not a third person action RPG, a racing game, a moody walking simulator?
DF will ship with a handful of example levels and gameplay controllers to get you started on the way to crafting your own 3D game quickly and easily.
Feb - 15 - 2021
- Improved Sprites Shader, now contains cylindrical billboard projection reducing the need to process billboards on the cpu
- DF now supports multidirectional sprites
- Improved performance by freezing vertex buffers for level geometry as they are static and have no further need for editing
- Initial implementation of GLVIS optimizations, the system will only render chunks of a level visible to the current camera resulting in FPS boosts of up to 300%
- Implemented built in wad processing. DF requires the presence of certain data types in a level to display them properly and efficiently, and will now add that missing data automatically, removing the need for the end user to process the files themselves.
To Do For Release
- Add overrides for Things, Textures, and Sprites ( replace any texture in the map with your own, or replace any enemy with whichever object you choose )
- Improve collision
- Implement multiple example game type controllers
- Decorate Support - define whole new enemies, objects, and so on straight from your wad editor of choice
- Mapdef, Animdef - define the environment of each map in your wad, and texture animations
- Skybox integration with support for 3d meshes and animation
- 3D floors (rooms over rooms)
- Sloped floors/ceilings
- Geometry Normals
- Dynamic Lighting/Shadows
DopeFish: Historical Archives
Feb - 15 - 2021: Processes Update Video