Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.0 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by cosmos10040 »

I'm surprised this kind of stuff still happens, by which I mean loosing all work when there is cloud storage and github. But I hope you can recover your work.
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

cosmos10040 wrote:I'm surprised this kind of stuff still happens, by which I mean loosing all work when there is cloud storage and github.
Cockiness, I suppose! I'd never had to worry about my computer crapping out so suddenly til now, so I've gotten complacent. Lesson learned!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Your hard drive might be okay, it was probably the PSU that took most of the hit anyway. And modern motherboards/components are a little more robust these days, I think.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Hard drive is indeed okay and I have backed up all my stuff onto a USB drive. Lessons have been learned! I'll be spending the upcoming days working on cleaning up what was already in the works for this update and will release as soon as it's in an acceptable state. Won't be as extensive an update as I was hoping, but there's enough present that it'll be worth sharing and uploading.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Any chance of trying out Github? It might be a good way for you to just update little things at a time and have us test it for you as you go, even if it's just under the hood fixes rather than new content.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

Sad hearing about what happened. Hope you can recover at least the important info from your computer (even if is not related to doom or the mod content)

In my case, I try to use Drive and other cloud system for information, work and backup for small archives. I also have a external Hard Drive device to make a general PC backup.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Alright, spent a couple days working on running through what features I had been implementing prior to my computer getting fried, cleaned up what I could, caught a couple of minor bugs, and did a minor amount of balancing. It SHOULD be good for release, minus a redo at the HUD code so that it can actually be scaled, an improved weight system, a couple of guns and unique sound effects for the new energy weapons. Those will eventually come, but right now my drive for modding is at an all time low.

As always, do be sure to report any bugs or issues that you find, or if you just have any suggestions or feedback I'd love to hear it!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 15/6/22)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for adding more difficulty options! That'll help a lot with really tailoring the play; I've been wanting a way to have less but more dangerous monsters with scarce resources for more of that horror vibe, since sometimes UV spawns are just too many monsters.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

-Ghost- wrote:Thanks for adding more difficulty options!
It was SUCH an obvious addition that I'm shocked I never thought to toss in earlier! Hopefully this'll help make the mod more accessible for others. Scavver's Paradise gets a lot of comparisons to HDster, and for obvious reasons, but I do want to try to avoid hitting that level of difficulty lol
-Ghost- wrote:since sometimes UV spawns are just too many monsters.
GOD YEAH

I usually try to do my playtesting on UV, but some mapsets it's just too damn hard on standard damage sliders. Many map packs I have to take it down to HMP.

This would likely change dramatically though if I replace hitscan attacks with proper projectiles, let's be real. Most of the new demon replacements can give you a run for your money, but the moment I see a zombie with an assault rifle or SMG I fuckin' PANIC.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Is this supposed to be a Resurrected Nightmare bootleg?
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

I've never even heard of Resurrected Nightmare until just now, actually! Don't even know its details since the ZDoom and Doomworld threads for it had the first post replaced with Baka Mitai.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

CaptainNurbles wrote:I've never even heard of Resurrected Nightmare until just now, actually! Don't even know its details since the ZDoom and Doomworld threads for it had the first post replaced with Baka Mitai.
With some small digging you can still find the older 2018 demo that I released. You can see through it some of the then earlier links between this and SP. Later versions of RN (especially the last for-a-short-time-publically-available final alpha "cancelled" build were more similar) despite being several months before SP was even public. However RN was a light TC (replacing gameplay and level structure)

The biggest differentiations is design and setting connection, SP is more "civilian survivors on Earth", whilst RN is basically "System Doom-Hunt" Aswell as the former being more CBT and the latter being more mid between standard doom and CBT.

Technically RN isn't cancelled anymore...it just turned into something different, and more clearer...though TLT is yet to be revealed publicly.

It is also interesting to see the weird synchronicities; back in roughly February/March I changed the Shotgun's altfire mechanic from slamfire to a Slug firing system, a few weeks later and SP had slugs as well for it's shotguns (though granted it's exclusive to the pump action shotgun as an altfire) RN/TLT also had 10 gauge for the longest time as the SSG rounds (though also used for the Security Rifle as an altfire) until I recently removed them, debuffed the SSG into a standard DBS that now uses the same pellets as the other 12g shotguns (since the SSG was too OP in base doom, and IMO too much of a crutch weapon)
GoalDude-00

Post by GoalDude-00 »

Just dropping by to say this has been my go-to hardcore mod for a while. It's solid all around and I'm looking forward to finding the scoped carbine - that said, the plasma shotgun seems to be broken for me. It spawns but only shows the graphic for the 10ga slug and doesn't do anything. I'm on LZDoom 2.8.1 and loaded no other WADs/PK3s that changed actors.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

GoalDude-00 wrote:Just dropping by to say this has been my go-to hardcore mod for a while. It's solid all around and I'm looking forward to finding the scoped carbine - that said, the plasma shotgun seems to be broken for me. It spawns but only shows the graphic for the 10ga slug and doesn't do anything. I'm on LZDoom 2.8.1 and loaded no other WADs/PK3s that changed actors.
Why you on such an OLD version? any reason you have not updated to 3.88a if you want to be on LZ.

On a side note, i hope someone can take the time again to make this latest version into one that has the weapons and monsters removed so it can be played with other monsters/guns :wub: :3:
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

GoalDude-00 wrote:the plasma shotgun seems to be broken for me. It spawns but only shows the graphic for the 10ga slug and doesn't do anything. I'm on LZDoom 2.8.1 and loaded no other WADs/PK3s that changed actors.
Heck, I coulda sworn I'd removed that from the mod.

I was planning on adding a plasma shotgun, but scrapped the idea of implementing it after I'd backed my files off of my hard drive. It's a nonfunctional weapon that doesn't spawn ingame and can only be accessed with IDKFA or give all.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”