[4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Post by SanyaWaffles »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chp55vncstmgu ... .ipk3?dl=1

I can't make a minimal example because it requires a working IPK3 setup and all that jazz, but I notice some CVARs do not set properly.

Code: Select all

gl_texture_filter 6
This one is definitely one that doesn't seem to work.

Is this by design or is this an oversight?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Post by Rachael »

Global CVARs like gl_texture_filter will only change when launched from a fresh ini file. If you launch from an already existing ini file, nothing will change. This is by design, I suppose it is possible to change it to game-only if it exists in defcvars but I have no idea how the engine would react to that (like would it remove the user's own global default, or would it even bother reading a local game-only value) - and in worst case scenario, how to address it.

The best way to address gl_texture_filter, specifically, though, in my opinion, is make it game-only, or to use a separate CVAR if an IWAD defines itself as having high resolution textures. Some games actually look better with trilinear filtering (oh god I just committed sacrilege by saying that) - Games with textures that are made with Doom's extreme low resolution scale happen to be the ones that don't. :)
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [4.5.0] - DEFCVARS doesn't always work

Post by SanyaWaffles »

I see, so it is kind of a by design choice... well, not so much, but rather how things are currently set up.

That's unfortunate, because we're noticing some settings look good by default with certain settings and was wondering if it'd be easy to just use DEFCVARS.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”