Abysm 2: Infernal Contract -NEW VERSION 1.3- Action RPG - TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Abysm 2: Infernal Contract -NEW VERSION 1.3- Action RPG

Post by Captain J »

Brilliant sequel to the brilliant TC. Wonderful work! Each map feels like it's larger than before and the difficulty? Seems like it's increased too. So that's a good thing. And hey, i've got some feedback to tell if you're ready!
Spoiler: IDMYPOS is on, so you can seek out each mentioned problem!
Other than that i've got no problems so far. And i recently got the Expension Pack, Pharaoh's Judgement as well! Going to try this and prepare feedback for it later. Good job!
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Captain J wrote:Not a feedback but the question. How can i enter the Grave of Kings? I collected every single bosses' souls, upgraded my all weapons and completed all the quests even. Any ideas?
I think I have an idea on how to enter:
Spoiler:
Details like that puzzle at the tomb of kings really make this TC shine, though, even if you can inadvertently ruin yourself.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler:
EDIT: Here are the extra feedback:

- In both Vanilla TC and Expansion Pack, i can freely murder the citizens and mercenaries in cold blood and i get no consequences. Also i can mug them as well. Not sure if it was intended but she's definitely at Chaotic Neutral! :P

- There's one NPC who can increase one of your attributes and it affects your everything. However, it feels like Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence are very confusing. I mean, which one dictates which weapons and such? They can explain about that but they rather lack explanation unlike the Endurance and Vitality one.

- Let's talk about the automap layout. The background is dark for some reason so the dark colored map lines get blend in and it's hard to figure out.

- Got another question. What's the merit of joining the Covernent of Heck? I can see that it increases difficulty but that's just it?
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Hello. I'm glad you enjoyed the TC :D
Captain J wrote: - The Enemies at the docks does not detect you for some reason! Even if you attack one of them first.
There maybe a missplaced soundblock line there So I'm going to check on that.
UPDATE: Im actually not sure what's causing this since I was not able to replicate this issues
Captain J wrote: - At the last level, near the Mastermind's lair, if you fall from to this place you can't get out but have to kill yourself.
I may have missed this part when checking for inescapable pits. will see what I can do to fix this.
Captain J wrote: Here are the extra feedback:

- In both Vanilla TC and Expansion Pack, i can freely murder the citizens and mercenaries in cold blood and i get no consequences. Also i can mug them as well. Not sure if it was intended but she's definitely at Chaotic Neutral! :P
Yep that is intended if you REALLY want that extra gold :P
Captain J wrote: - There's one NPC who can increase one of your attributes and it affects your everything. However, it feels like Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence are very confusing. I mean, which one dictates which weapons and such? They can explain about that but they rather lack explanation unlike the Endurance and Vitality one.
If you open your inventory it will tell you what Attribute the weapon you are holding Scale with.
Captain J wrote:
- Let's talk about the automap layout. The background is dark for some reason so the dark colored map lines get blend in and it's hard to figure out.
I see, let me go ahead and play around with different map Backgrounds
Captain J wrote:What's the merit of joining the Covernent of Heck? I can see that it increases difficulty but that's just it?
Yep that is basically the hidden Hard Mode for this mod.

Thank you very much for the feedback. :o
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Wow! Blasted through this the last couple of days and I was absolutely amazed! I'm not really huge into action RPGs/the fantasy setting in general, but I kept seeing this popup and figured I'd give it a try. I'm super glad I did!
  • Really loved the layout of the world and how relatively straightforward the exploration was. I felt like the amount of freedom given to the player to traverse the landscape never felt daunting or restricting. This might be the first time I've seen the map in Doom used this effectively! Objectives were easy to reach and understand, which is something that's always thrown me off about Hexen and the like.
  • I felt like the maps could use a bit more texture and color variations, as most of the areas were primarily one sort of texture/color. I think it could be argued that it fits with the setting, but I would love to see you experiment more with varied color palettes for levels. Just a minor note! The maps were otherwise really fun and well put together.
  • The weapons were for the most part really well balanced. I felt like there was some overlap (I started with the default class [Hunter's set] and presumably picked up the other classes' weapons along the way), especially with the various wands. The mace you start with in the Hunter's set felt like the primary fire was just a weaker version of the alternate fire, which seemed to have roughly the same amount of speed but higher damage. I think the weapon placement and overall balance however was handled really well, and the ability to craft ammo definitely made some situations tense and exciting. I was hoping there would be more "setting-accurate" weapons as the Gatling gun seemed slightly out of place. Honestly, most of these are just minor nitpicks!
  • I was a bit disappointed by the amount of Doom monsters featured, mostly because I really enjoyed the world this is set in. Especially towards the end, it starts to feel a bit more "Doom-y" especially with the continued appearance of Doom's bestiary. I would love to see more unique monsters used as the ones exclusive to Abysm 2 were really cool. I especially like the Smelter Demon boss, hella rad!
  • I'm infinitely peeved at the appearance of boats in the distance that you can't get to! It would've been so cool to have some kind of secret on those ships.
  • I liked the manual a lot, I feel like some of that information should definitely be included in-game in maybe the "Read This!" section.
I think the only thing I missed was a sidequest as I didn't find the Soul of the Nightmare, but I had a really fun time exploring the world of Abysm 2 and fighting the monsters inhabiting it. Can't wait to play the expansion!
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Minor Update Uploaded, to prepare for the Final Release of the Expansion
- Corrected inaccurate information in the Manual. (Hope, I'm doing well)
- Fixed all the Obituaries to Show "Nadia" as the player name.
- Fixed incorrectly displayed Obituaries for certain monsters.
sdaa

Post by sdaa »

Divide by zero in script "XP Gain" - message after kill. Something is wrong? gz4.7.1
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

sdaa wrote:Divide by zero in script "XP Gain" - message after kill. Something is wrong? gz4.7.1
To my knowledge this can only happen if you start the game on anything other than MAP01 via console. You need to enter it at least once for everything XP related to be initialized. Not sure why you wanna do this though in an RPG setting with hubs and backtracking.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

sdaa wrote:Divide by zero in script "XP Gain" - message after kill. Something is wrong? gz4.7.1
This ONLY happens when you don't Start the in Map01 which is the Overworld map (Which I'm not sure how you did that). that's where the XP Gain values are initialized.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Silly old coot question - Have you thought of going standalone? And if not, how come?
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Redneckerz wrote:Silly old coot question - Have you thought of going standalone? And if not, how come?
Has to do with base resources, Would have to replace all the Doom Sprites, sounds and textures. But still retain the Doom Aesthetic.
I did try to make it Freedoom Compat. ,But Finding replacements that are, the same style but also easy to recolor with translations is difficult.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I could be wrong though, but I think I stumbled upon a bug. In MAP13: The Flooded Library, close to the end there's a door that requires an iron key and has pillars in front of it as well. On the upper floor there's a switch which lowers the pillars but the key is nowhere to be found. If the key actually is supposed to exist, I doubt it would be anywhere else, as all the keys in the mod are single use and only good for the dungeon they are found in, akin to Legend of Zelda.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

StroggVorbis wrote:I could be wrong though, but I think I stumbled upon a bug. In MAP13: The Flooded Library, close to the end there's a door that requires an iron key and has pillars in front of it as well. On the upper floor there's a switch which lowers the pillars but the key is nowhere to be found. If the key actually is supposed to exist, I doubt it would be anywhere else, as all the keys in the mod are single use and only good for the dungeon they are found in, akin to Legend of Zelda.
That's an error on my part when I was changing the setup for the Locked door.
Now fixed in the latest update that i just uploaded, it should no longer have a lock assigned to it.
Last edited by jazzmaster9 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Thank you!
So for now I'll just cheat myself the key and download the update for subsequent playthroughs.
vokar

Post by vokar »

Is there any possibility of making this work with questzdoom?

Trying to load this mod with base doom2 and no other mods throws the following:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from OptionMenuItemtp_MenuInjector.injectNote at Abysm_2_-_Infernal_Contract_-_v1.3.2.pk3:zscript/tp_tips.zs, line 133
Called from OptionMenuItemtp_MenuInjector.Init at Abysm_2_-_Infernal_Contract_-_v1.3.2.pk3:zscript/tp_tips.zs, line 119

**** DIED WITH FATAL ERROR:
Failed to initialize menus
If you have time to see if this is an easy fix that would be awesome and I'm sure lots of questzdoom users would love to play this awesome mod!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”