[Zsript] Very simple weather effects

Post your example zscripts/ACS scripts/etc here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Zsript] Very simple weather effects

Post by SanyaWaffles »

For some reason it was working... except the rain itself wasn't appearing. I could hear the rain and thunder, but the rain itself wasn't visible.

That was very peculiar.

I might include this in a project, however I wanted to report the fact it seems the rain, at least for me, isn't appearing. I didn't change anything related to the graphics so I dunno what's happening there.
Hidden Hands

Post by Hidden Hands »

Awesome. Thank you so much. LZDoom seems to be saving my life a lot lately.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

SanyaWaffles wrote:For some reason it was working... except the rain itself wasn't appearing. I could hear the rain and thunder, but the rain itself wasn't visible.

That was very peculiar.

I might include this in a project, however I wanted to report the fact it seems the rain, at least for me, isn't appearing. I didn't change anything related to the graphics so I dunno what's happening there.
I added CVAR to disable droplets completele (if it slowdown really low end PC/bugging peoples) and after testing forgot to turn it off. Redownload archive from Github, or open cvarinfo file and change

Code: Select all

server bool CWE_weather = false;
line to

Code: Select all

server bool CWE_weather = true;
Typing "CWE_weather true" in console would do same thing, but it only change ini file cvar value, not mod default.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

That fixed it. Thanks.
Deon

Post by Deon »

I've found a problem with HUB maps. The way it's setup now, each time you return to a map, it "adds" on top of what is already there.

For myself, this is how I fixed it.
Spoiler:
As you can see, I've added two booleans "weather_activated" and "world_loaded" to main_event.zs that make it fire off only once per map.
Maybe not elegant, but works, and I can re-enter the same map 100 times now without crashing.

Another setting/CVAR to disable Fade change would be great. I had to find it and comment it out, but again only for those who are too lazy/dont know how to find FADE change :).
I've also replaced droplets with vertical lines to my liking, and now it fully satisfies my needs.

Thank you very much!
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Didnt test it in hubs.
I changed the way it works, now it should work properly.

About fade, I think it have more sense to just add new option to weather definition. Wait here til I made it.
Deon

Post by Deon »

I have observed a strange behavior of the rain.

At one point of the map it's just "cut off", like it only pours in specific square.
It cuts off in a middle of a sector, and moving map around doesn't move where it's cut off. Can you give me a hint at what could be causing it?

P.S. It actually looks more like a specific rectangle doesn't get rain. It has sky texture, so I dont understand why.

Here's a demonstration:
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I know it sounds crazy, but I cant run video in Gzdoom to check whats wrong with this particular map spot. That one of the tabooed programmer powers that could easily destroy 1/3 part of a world.
So, can you post/send me in pm this map so I could run it, instead of breaking fragile balance of a universe.
Deon

Post by Deon »

No worries, I was just curious if you know what could be causing similar effects in advance.
Please find the PK3 here, it's for the latest GZDoom/Doom2.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/phz4nqxz ... n.pk3/file
ghostboy1225

Post by ghostboy1225 »

did some testing but it seems that this will not work if you use wadsmooshes doom_complete as an iwad and open a level through the episode selection menu. it does however work when manually entering a map through the console.

Return to “Script Library”