(WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: (WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

Post by Assassin of Purity »

This looks so awesome. I feel that it should be called Quake 2 64 TC, as that's what this is based more on. Actually, it's more like PlayStation Quake 2 TC.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

This makes me wish Night Dive Studios and Kaiser could port Quake II 64 to the PC. Even though it was a lesser port, it did feature a great original soundtrack and new levels.
DankMemere2460

Post by DankMemere2460 »

What happened to the mod it says its not there
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

DankMemere2460 wrote:
What happened to the mod it says its not there
mega was removed it, check here:

https://github.com/Ozymandias81/DeimosQ2TC
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Thanks for pointing that out, just for the record: people which will download the mod must have in mind that it was been developed for GZDoom 4.0.0, as the readme file says on Github, so don't expect it to run under recent versions of GZDoom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Thanks for pointing that out, just for the record: people which will download the mod must have in mind that it was been developed for GZDoom 4.0.0, as the readme file says on Github, so don't expect it to run under recent versions of GZDoom.

WTF?!? What makes you say that?

Let's make one thing clear: If something breaks and nobody bothers reporting a bug for it, it is not surprising if mods develop issues.
But be it as it may, there isn't even any complex scripting going on here, so if something broke and didn't get reported it'd be even more annoying.
And if it's just a precautionary warning without any concrete issue, statements like this are even more annoying.

So what's up?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

While I don't understand one need to be so harsh for just to have write something related to an old mod, which in good faith I supposed to not work on recent builds (but yet didn't had proper time to check it out), since the mod was built with 4.0.0 in mind I thought it was normal to bump the thread for precautionary reasons. I have been busy with BoA and such, plus I am doing it for free and in a very bad period of my life, so I don't get what kind of hurt would do a precautionary statement, I am not implying anything bad regarding GZDoom, which I love it instead. Hope to get my hands on Q2TC the next week and see if it properly works or not, I recall some old issues with the BFG10k code but I am not on pc to verify it.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Ozymandias81 wrote:I don't get what kind of hurt would do a precautionary statement, I am not implying anything bad regarding GZDoom, which I love it instead.
It's the phrasing of the statement, I think is the issue. "it was been developed for GZDoom 4.0.0, as the readme file says on Github, so don't expect it to run under recent versions of GZDoom" suggests that GZDoom broke compatibility with old mods, though it could maybe work if you're lucky. It gives the impression that GZDoom doesn't keep compatibility with old content. Whereas a statement like "it was developed for GZDoom 4.0.0, as the readme file says on Github, and should still work under recent versions of GZDoom but it hasn't been tested" would suggest GZDoom should still work with old mods, though this particular one hasn't been tested.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Okay I do understand now, sometimes I think too much with my mother language and that also I should have been more precise...
Let's rephrase it then: if ppl wants to play Q2TC, it might run with recent builds of GZDoom, but have in mind that it has not been tested yet. Soon updates on the mod might happen, stay tuned.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Mod has been tested under 4.6 pre221 and didn't see any issues, beside the one present on a portal in the 4th map but that's already known and doesn't depend by GZDoom. More will come in the future for this little mod then.
Assassin of Purity

Say, does this work on Zandronum?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

No it doesn't, mod uses some zscript and stacked sectors over 3d floors doesn't work well on Zandro too.
Assassin of Purity

Ozymandias81 wrote:No it doesn't, mod uses some zscript and stacked sectors over 3d floors doesn't work well on Zandro too.
Zandronum can do rooms over rooms.
julmust
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by julmust »

Sorry for the necro, but I need to gush a bit.

This is freaking incredible work. I thought you'd somehow imported the Quake 2 level geometry into GZDOOM, but no, you recreated the quake 2 levels with UDB bsp. That is an incredible achievement, and it turned out really, really nice. I am impressed. Beyond insane.

Will there be a full version released?

Thank you!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”