Widescreen statusbars (v2401)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Widescreen statusbars (v2206)

Post by NightFright »

You aren't even in widescreen mode judging from that screenshot. In that case you wouldn't need any of the statusbars from this project, TBH.
Fluuschoen
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home x64

Post by Fluuschoen »

NightFright wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:51 pm You aren't even in widescreen mode judging from that screenshot. In that case you wouldn't need any of the statusbars from this project, TBH.
It works just as well with 4:3, and I would need it, because I'd like to change the status bar. STARMS is buggy in wide screen as well.
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

Fluuschoen wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:04 pm
Delfino Furioso wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:35 am add "+LogFile .\path\to\file.log" to your gzdoom command line
then post the resulting file here
It's DSDA-Doom v0.24.2.
then launch dsda manually from a command prompt, adding "1> .\path\to\file.log 2>&1" at the end of the command line
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Looks like the mystery is solved. He is trying to use widescreen statusbar replacements with pwads that don't include an STBAR lump on their own. That means the original STARMS is used, which is the expected behavior.

I'm afraid it's not meant to work like that, m8. However, you can fix it by manually copying the proper STARMS lump into the statusbar replacement wad, if you really need it that badly.
Fluuschoen
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home x64

Post by Fluuschoen »

NightFright wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:44 pm Looks like the mystery is solved. He is trying to use widescreen statusbar replacements with pwads that don't include an STBAR lump on their own. That means the original STARMS is used, which is the expected behavior.

I'm afraid it's not meant to work like that, m8. However, you can fix it by manually copying the proper STARMS lump into the statusbar replacement wad, if you really need it that badly.
Yup, already did that, and it works!

Yay!
Yay!

Sorry, didn't know that STARMS is seperate from STBAR, hence I thought it's some kind of bug, and this is why I also didn't specifiy that I'd like to use it with all WADs, that have the original STBAR.
VoanHead
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by VoanHead »

I hope it's not much of a bother to suggest having another widescreen status bar to be added to that big folder: a WinXP styled Status Bar.

Here's a download link for it if you want to check it out, too: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zqfhi9d39xbj ... P.wad?dl=0
Attachments
This Status Bar was made by Craneo on Twitter, not mine at all. I just really liked it, and maybe others would enjoy a widescreen version, too.
This Status Bar was made by Craneo on Twitter, not mine at all. I just really liked it, and maybe others would enjoy a widescreen version, too.
WinXPStatBar.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Is that one part of any real PWAD or it's a standalone release (just the statusbar)? If so, it's pretty difficult to create without a source image (I am aware this is based on the official WinXP wallpaper, but finding the exact cropping dimensions/settings used for this might be quite hard).

It would help to contact the author for that info.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Hello! I recently downloaded the latest version of this project from GITHUB, and I'm having an issue with doom_wide.wad.
It looks like the status bar is a few pixels shorter than full widescreen, which in dsda-doom (v0.25.6), causes there to be a hall of mirrors effect on both corners of the screen.
image.png
Those pixels stay red after you've taken damage; yellow after you've picked up items; etc.
I tried a few other wide status bars for custom pwads, but only doom_wide.wad seems to have this problem.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

That's odd. The statusbar has the proper dimensions (426x32), like all the others. Did you try ultrawide statusbars instead? They end with "_uwide" in their file name. If you load another with "_wide" and it shows the same issue, then it might be a problem with the port.

After a quick test, it seems indeed as if the statusbar is missing one pixel on each side in widescreen. It would probably have to be 428x32 instead. However, since other ports display this correctly, I would assume DSDA is doing something differently here. I am using the dimensions from widescreen graphics provided with the Doom Unity port.
Rox_Sox
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Rox_Sox »

Noticed videos online of nobody using a widescreen hud for Haste.wad. So I decided to give a crack at making one myself.

First time doing something like this so I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but I tested it in both GZDoom and DSDA-Doom with Haste.wad and it worked.
Attachments
Haste Wide Hud.png
Haste Wide Hud.png (11.22 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
haste_wide.wad
(17.09 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 2312 released

Post by NightFright »

Changelog:
- Added: Arrokoth, Atonement, Cydonia, Harmony (Re-Release), Hell on Earth Shareware, Herian 1+2 (wide), Knee-Deep in Knee-Deep in ZDoom, Lunacy, Machete, TNT Goes Boom!, Ultimate Doom in Name Only
- Updated: Memento Mori II (replaced MAPINFO with wrong level names with DEHACKED)
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

NightFright wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:05 am That's odd. The statusbar has the proper dimensions (426x32), like all the others. Did you try ultrawide statusbars instead? They end with "_uwide" in their file name. If you load another with "_wide" and it shows the same issue, then it might be a problem with the port.

After a quick test, it seems indeed as if the statusbar is missing one pixel on each side in widescreen. It would probably have to be 428x32 instead. However, since other ports display this correctly, I would assume DSDA is doing something differently here. I am using the dimensions from widescreen graphics provided with the Doom Unity port.
I apologize for the late reply. I solved the problem on my end by asking a friend for a fixed version of doom_wide.wad that was 428x32, and used that instead.
It seems that newer versions of dsda-doom no longer have the hall of mirrors effect I posted above, so the pixels no longer get red / yellow.
But the missing pixels are still there, only they're just permanently black, which is harder to notice. The doom_wide status bar from the Unity port is indeed 2 pixels short.
NightFright wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:50 am Basic steps:

I. Image preparation
- Create a new image with 426x32 pixels [Unity port format]
If it's not too much to ask, can you edit this old post? The "426" needs to be replaced with "428" because currently these instructions are misleading.
I was just trying to create a wide statusbar version for a pwad that is not yet supported, and I ran into the same problem I had months ago: 1 missing row of pixels on each side. The status bar I created was too short.

Happy new year by the way!
Coincident

Re: Widescreen statusbars (v2312)

Post by Coincident »

Widescreen status bar for Cosmogenesis by NoReason: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... slaughter/
Tested with the latest versions of GZDoom and dsda-doom.

Is it ok to post the file here as an attachment or should I submit a pull request?
Attachments
cosmogenesis_wide.wad
(27.69 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Widescreen statusbars (v2312)

Post by NightFright »

The measures of 426px are correct (or at least tolerable), but only if you are using 400p as target resolution. In the future, I will probably optimize my statusbar images to have a width of 576px, which would make them compatible with aspect rations of up to 21:10. I won't be able to apply these changes retroactively to all entries in my collection, but Trov has done that already in his ultrawide branch, anyway.

Note:
The Github dev build now has an ultrawide version of the original Doom statusbar, based on Trov's release.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 2401 released

Post by NightFright »

Changelog:
- Added: Ad Mortem, Back to Saturn X Ep.3, Doom 2 Minus Doom, Doom Classic Redux, DBP13: Alien Bastards!, Emergency Christmas (= H2H-Xmas), Headless Chicken, Hell's Bane, Jamal Jones Ep.1, Nostalgia 2, Realm of Chaos 25th Anniversary
- Updated: Doom (ultrawide version), H2H-Xmas (cleaned up)

Note:
From now on, all new statusbars will have a width of 576px (instead of 426px) for ultra-widescreen (21:9) compatibility.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”