Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (v0.8)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hitmanx

Re: Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (WIP)

Post by hitmanx »

Now i may sound like a noob here, don't know much about decorate, but instead of changing the bullet puff's so the reverent's trail isn't super loud and sparky, couldn't you have just changed the reverent trail?
Z86

Re: Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (WIP)

Post by Z86 »

It is very hard to replicate the original revenant tracer behavior with anything other than the original code pointer.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_Tracer

I guess a A_Jump(128,"firehomingmissile") on the revenant could be almost fine, but still it uses a different calculation for it. Also i'm not sure what pointers/values to use for the homing missile to work like the revenant tracer. Tracer2 is a tiny bit different, and A_SeekerMissile is vastly different.
DBThanatos

Re: Particle Fire Enhancer Mod (Beta is UP)

Post by DBThanatos »

Ok. I tried it a bit, and I must say I like it a lot. However, here's a list of things that I didnt like much or at all:

- Smoke from guns. For some reason, I didnt like the smoke being expelled in that way from the guns. Too forward, too fast.
- Also on the smoke, I see on the chainsaw, that if you look up/down, the smoke keeps spawning in the same position (I'd think you used a_spawnitemex)
- Same with the casing spawnings; take as example the chaingun. If you are firing with the view centered, it looks great, but aim down or up, and you wont see the casings anymore.
- The lightning effect on projectiles (i.e. caco ball, bfgball, etc). Fades too slow, and that makes it look bad. Im not sure what could be done here, but it definitely didnt convince me. I was thinking about having them last just one tic, and spawn one each tic. In that way they wouldnt look like the lightning bolt was left behind the projectile. Once again, Im unsure what could be done to actually make it look better. Perhaps also spawning them a little bit behind the projectile itself? because if a caco fires at you, you dodge and look at the projectile by the side, you'll easily see the lightning being actually ahead of the ball itself, instead of in the center at it should be.
- The casings seem to bounce too much. Perhaps lowering the bouncefactor could help a bit here.
- The plasmagun is too demanding. Since each ball is spawning effects, and at such rapid firerate, there are too many actors at the same time all around, in my case, very prone to cause lag, alone. Now, add monsters and the like to the equation, and it will be a pretty bad thing. Also the particles that it spawns upon crashing, they bounce too, while they could easily get away with having no interaction on them (the plasma balls are defying gravity anyway)
- BFG explo: as above, the particles spawned could do without bouncing, since that just add to the processing demands, and with that many particles. I havent noticed slowdowns with that weapon, but better safe than sorry :P

Now, as I suspected, dynamic lights have quite a role on performance. In map 23, without destroying the barrels, I get 20fps with lights on. 66 without. When destroying the barrels, it goes down to 2fps with or without, so there I cant see the gain.

However, for example, I spawn a lost soul. Kill it, and with all those little flames, lights on, I get 69fps, off 130.
With a caco ball, upon crashing (and spawning it's trails), lights on 83. Lights off 140.

So, even though my machine isnt extremely poweful at all, I think this results show a bit that the lights does have a hit on performance. Im not saying that lights should be off completely, but I'd suggest that if you want better performance, to get rid of the lights in such small things (all those bits spawned from the monster's fireballs, and the like), since that's quite minor. Once again, that's only if you want to help in performance (i know that for my personal edition, I will be removing that :P )

Anyway, I hope this little bit of feedback helps, and once again, I love this. I'll just adjust some things here and there, but for sure I'll be using this whenever I feel like playing regular doom with regular maps/monsters, but wanting some eye candy :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention, does the nashgore mod toys with A_CheckSight? Because even in map01, if i go "kill monsters" it will lag extremely bad.
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

Make a Death.Massacre state that pretty much removes the monster from the map.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

I know about case spawners and smoke spawning, it is currently not the best, and i intend to fix it later. I left it so because of Doom's mostly same-plane combat areas.
I was pretty satisfied with the lightnings (besides the fact that you mentioned that the spawn slightly ahead of projectiles), but may experiment with faster fade speeds on it. There will be a complete projectile related particle spawn code overhaul (i'm not satisfied with a lot of them - code wise, not visually), i just did not have the time and will to fix it for now.

The dynamic light issue might be system specific, as i noticed nearly no slowdowns due to it. My machine usually hates the shaders for example, i remember playing Stronghold and getting awful FPS due to translucent and warping textures. At first i was afraid if the dynamic lights on the flame chunks will hit the performance in a bad way, but in my experience there was little to no difference.

NashGore: no, it uses no checksight, and even if you load the original mod, you can notice huge slowdowns with the massacre cheat. The Death.Massacre is something i did not know about, so might be implemented.

Anyway feedback is always welcome, the more viewpoints on the matter, the better my overall insight is.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

The smoke on the torches seems kinda unnecessary and makes it lag a lot. The effect on the health potions also seems unnecessary. It would also be nice if you could make a separate wad for the replacement sound files so it doesn't end up making the PK3 unnecessarily big.
Edit: I think that's the most times I've ever used that word. Seems unnecessary. :P
pieceofpiesoftware

Post by pieceofpiesoftware »

Some sexy effects, I suspect it will lag though?

What about the nazis? what are they saying once they've been killed? sounds like "no".
Xim

Post by Xim »

This looks cool, I like the effects, but why the new sounds? What's wrong with the old sounds. :P
SoulCrow

Post by SoulCrow »

pieceofpiesoftware wrote:What about the nazis? what are they saying once they've been killed? sounds like "no".
Those sounds are from Return to Castle Wolfenstein, so they might be saying stuff like "Mein Gott!"
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Lag: i did what i could to improve performance, but i put visual quality on higher priority, so yes, it might lag, especially on weaker machines/more intense actions. I have a not entirely spanking new machine (Core 2 duo and ATI HD 3600), and i was able to play Hell Revealed style monster slaughter fests with pretty good framerate with this.

Sounds: well there's nothing wrong with original sounds, but i think some high quality sounds fit better with the high quality effects. Actually it was also a test to see how Doom 3 sounds work with Doom 2.
Nazi sounds: they are from RtCW, those that sound like "no" are just some death gasps, something like "ouahh..", i tried to select sounds where they only speak german (Halt, Schweinhund!).

As for different tastes, i am inclined to include versions that:
- have original sound
- have less light definitions (call this the frame rate friendly version)
- have less bouncy particles (same, will probably bundle with the above)
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Is there anything about this wad that would prevent you from entering it in the "Eyecandy All Over 2011" Contest? I understand they're somewhat short on submissions, and this wad definitely qualifies as eye candy.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

amv2k9 wrote:Is there anything about this wad that would prevent you from entering it in the "Eyecandy All Over 2011" Contest? I understand they're somewhat short on submissions, and this wad definitely qualifies as eye candy.
The contest is mostly for effects that are placed on a map as decoration, like weather effects. However, this guy definitely has the skill to make something awesome for the contest. :D

Looks great! I love the Lost Soul flames. :D
ryupichu

Post by ryupichu »

can any one help me to make aeons of death work when it started it it says or Create a video response

it says

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "mapinfo.aed" line 24:

Bad syntax.
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

Update your copy of ZDoom.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Also wrong thread, I think - your problem has more to do with AEOD than this seemingly unrelated mod.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”