ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Rodoomer

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Rodoomer »

Jaja ase unas semanas yo intente crear una versión de BRUTAL Doom V20 cambiando los sprites por enemigos de changed un juego peludo que simplemente me desagradó y yo y unos amigos lo intentamos pero de todos modos fracasamos...

A día de hoy no pienso volver al proyecto y si esto sirve de inspiración para alguien que si este dispuesto adelante.

:geek:

PD:I REGRET NOTHING.
Koto
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Koto »

A mod based on the Duke Nukem universe, but set in europe during the WW2.

Tentative name "Duke it Out in Deutschland".
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Sounds feasible considering Duke did the time travelling thing at the very first and later in Time to Kill. Wouldn't hurt to see Duke entering the era where the sun explodes and trying to save the whole universe(full of babes).

So, i'm currently enjoy watching Spelunky 2 stream vids because variety is one serious fun thing that never gets old! Someone already talked about this but i've been thinking, did anyone ever plan of making map randomizing roguelike doom TC? And nah, not just about randomizing props or enemies. I talking about each commendable tile forming the whole floor, inside the giant box map, all able to shift form into walls, rooms or pitfalls via randomly generated scripts. It's hard to explain with extra detail but think about other games like The Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, UnderMine and Enter the Gungeon.
Spoiler: Also wanna mention The Alfonzone but major spoilers
I'm certainly not a professional mapper myself. But it would hella be amazing to see if such TC like i spitballed right now is already planned or even released!

EDIT: Reinforced my explanations much more so you can know what i meant. I hope

EDIT2: Huh i did talk about this before in 2020
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

I've been thinking about a mod based on Blade.

The weapons you'd get would based on the one seen in the films: katana, spinning blades, UV grenades, SMGs, and shotguns. There could also be new weapons like an arm-mounted flamethrower, or a crossbow that can shoot stakes or EDTA darts.

You start out fighting normal vampires and familiars, and encounter increasingly powerful vampires until fighting bosses, which could be villains from the films. Hell, you could even toss in Morbius if needed.
DeeDeeOZ

Post by DeeDeeOZ »

I really want someone to remake/reimagine Fragport (unless it has been done already and I'm oblivious) its such a good solid level set but is let down by older textures, its by no means bad but with some more polish it would be amazing. has the right amount of real space/doom space thats hard to get right.
NickDoom

Mapping challenge idea

Post by NickDoom »

We did "10 textures challenge", "10 sectors challenge", "2 sectors challenge"…
I suggest "Million paths challenge": maps which can be completed at least 1 000 000 different ways.
Technically, even two boxes counts, if you can exit the first box through one of 100 doors, walk to the second box by one of 100 streets and enter the second box thru one of 100 doors (assuming some doors and streets are easier to pass, so there are 100 different doors and streets). 100x100x100 = 1000000 different paths to finish the level. But this map scores 0 points, of course.
I mean highly-tactical map like "D1 Pandemonium on steroids", or maybe like "CRAPi without puzzles" (or with if you want, but they are not necessary), or "sandbox map" which requires several attempts to complete.
Speaking about balance: if you bring full weapons/ammo set from the previous level, you probably can complete the map without difficult tactical solutions. If you begin it from scratch, you probably have only one way (as long as your skill level matches your actual skills), using all possible "monster infightings", disarming ambush areas from behind etc. (not to mention "searching for better weapon first"). If you want 100% kills from scratch, you'll also need to find most secrets. These are criteria for the perfectly balanced difficulty, so don't take them too seriously.
Typical tactical solutions look like "find Inv sphere in the far corner of the map, don't alert Cyberdemon, clear the path to the teleport, grab the sphere and quickly run to the teleport which leads to Cyberdemon, unless you want to circle-strafe him".
Jareth247

Post by Jareth247 »

Dumb question but could a Borderlands-style mod work, preferably with a similar loot system and RPG elements? I know that the RPG elements from Borderlands (player classes, levelling up, skill trees, objectives) have been done in Doom mods before and I think I've seen elements akin to Borderlands' loot system before in DoomRPG or another mod whose name I'm blanking on.
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

I had this idea one day of TC sinspired by the 1920's mobster era, something in the vein of Blade of Agony. The player would star as a detective in the FBI trying to take down the toughest gang in Chicago that's been taking over the city. But little does he know that the reason they've been able to do so much damage in so little time is that they've been dealing with the occult and summoning terrifying creatures (demons, obviously. This is doom, after all haha) while also beefing up their own mobsters.

The thing that would differentiate it from something like Cultic is the world. I would want it to feel lived in, with NPC's milling about or running in terror, and signs of life like idling vehicles and lit-up buildings.

Enemies would be various mobsters armed with pistols, shotguns, tommy guns, and BAR's. To switch things up, I'd also include molotov-cocktail throwers who can set enemies on fire.

Larger maps with roads would have mobsters in cars do drive-by shootings at the player.

Demonic enemies would include basically imps in trenchcoats that look like normal mobsters from the back, but when they turn around they'd have demon faces and shoot a short flame-thrower attack, and scratch if the player gets close enough.

Mobsters exposed to demonic influences would become huge and roided-out, and do jump-and-slam attacks like Hell Knights from Doom Eternal. But they'd still have little fedora haha.

Now the reason I'm unable to do this is because of lack of skill and talent, mostly. I've messed around with mapping a bit but have either gotten bored or frustrated. And then there's my lack of coding experience. If anyone wants to use any of these ideas, feel free to go for it! Just give me a shout out!
celulamp

Post by celulamp »

Not sure if this is possible but after seeing mods that make monsters show up as reinforcements (ai director etc)

I thought it would be interesting to have a mode where one player is spawning monsters and all the rest have to beat the level. (prolly just do it with classes)

I guess kinda something like the game crawl? I don't think you could do overhead at all cus its doom lol so it would have to be first person which would be tough to pull off.

Another idea that's dope is a mod where you play as jesus and your weapons are all based on bibilical stuff
and it's like a really badasss jesus killin demons cus its funny.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

This isn't exactly an idea for a (G)ZDoom project per say, rather a kind of enhanced feature for map interaction. I'm not a programmer so I doubt this is feasible since it would probably require major engine changes, but what I imagined was like this:
Multiswitches, which are a kind of specialized, in-game GUI-based switch with multiple switchable areas, can be toggled and execute on/off scripts, and are just generally more versatile/immersively interactive than normal switches.
You create an image like this:
switchblank.png
switchblank.png (439 Bytes) Viewed 3802 times
It is the Multiswitch Base. It includes at least one blank area (although it doesnt actually matter what that blank area is, its just blank here for demonstration purposes.) You then feed this into an external Multiswitch Editor. The editor allows you to drag boxes around areas switches will be placed. When a switch-spot has been created, you can click to define certain attributes of that switch, such as how many states it has (ie you can have a four-way state switch like that one in Doom's Alpha), how the state behaves (ie whether or not it can only be switched on, if it switches on then goes off by itself and can thus be reactivated, or whether its toggleable and can be turned on and off.), as well as what switch graphic it uses. Because it would be impractical to make new switch pictures for every combination of switches that are on and off, switch graphics are created with on/off states separately:
switchoff.png
switchoff.png (155 Bytes) Viewed 3802 times
switchon.png
switchon.png (155 Bytes) Viewed 3802 times
Once you've defined the multiswitch in the editor, you press "generate" to make it generate the parameters of the multiswitch. Now, (in slade for example), you can paste this multiswitch code into your wad or pk3, assign it an ID and a switch texture, add the multiswitch graphics, then load your map in an editor.

Now, you can add the switch texture to the map. When you right click it, the Edit Linedef box has a tab specifically for controlling the multiswitch's properties, such as assigning scripts or line actions to each switch based off its behavior. In the example switch I made, assuming each switch is toggleable, different scripts can be assigned to execute when the switch goes to its on or off state. For example, suppose one switch controlled a security door somewhere in the map, toggling the switch "on" would probably open the door, whereas toggling it "off" would execute a script to close the door again. In the different behaviors, it works similar. The on-stay switch stays on when you press it, meaning it executes its script once and then becomes uninteractable. The on-repeat switch can be pressed over and over again, each time executing the same script (so for example you could have a switch which raises a platform by a certain increment each time its pressed, whereas another switch in the multiswitch lowers it by the same increment.

The most special part of this feature is how its interacted with in-game. When a player uses the switch, it opens a GUI menu in-game, dimming the game view. You can exit out of it by either walking away from the switch or pressing use again. To interactive with the switch, you use the mouse to click around and use the various switches on the GUI.

While this obviously wouldn't be something with universal use, it would be a very good way of creating puzzles or implementing interactable elements, especially in more atmosphere-focused maps. Though I will admit, I doubt its very feasible, its still a very interesting idea I think.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Koto wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:20 am A mod based on the Duke Nukem universe, but set in europe during the WW2.
There is such a thing, but it's for EDuke32, rather than GZDoom: Operation Mallard; it's a WIP that includes France and Africa, with other locations planned for the future.
CornTheMighty
Operating System Version (Optional): windows 10

Post by CornTheMighty »

something involving CyClones-aiming, or like in Goldeneye if you don't know Cyclones. either a mod that uses it, or some kind of universal aiming mod like that, that'd be a really cool thing to see. shame i have NO idea how to code lol
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

I've been playing this roguelike called PRIME, it's basically a sci-fi dungeon crawler with monsters and weapons of both original creation and from other franchises. I was thinking that it could be made into a really good Doom mod, similar to DoomRL Arsenal.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

A monster replacement pack in the style and spirit of John Wick. I got this after rewatching the first movie and while there are other human/humanoid monster packs that work quite nicely, I think it would be awesome to have a pack of enemies in the vein of foes John Wick goes up against.

3 or 4 tiers of enemies, the thugs/homeless enemies that wear tattered or clean casual clothing, like the more discreet assassins in JW, then the suits who attack with better tactics and group coordination, then the armored assault cleaners who are heavily armored, more prone to death from explosives, they use very keen tactics like cover fire when in groups and move on your position gradually.

Then there are the bosses, unusual but not completely unrealistic crime lords or such who use various skills or other gimmicks to fight you, such as the obese crime lord who's also strangely fantastic at martial arts, or a dog lady that sends out dozens of wolves or other dangerous dogs.

I think an A.I cap mechanism would help most of all, limiting a.i actions based on the monster population numbers in the map, more complex routines are cut down or out if the monsters go above 100 or 200 perhaps.

The A.I tactics alone are too nuts for me to deal with, sprites may be possible but the ambitious a.i I want, even if it's not TOO crazy, would be way too insane.
cornmonger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Ubuntu 23

Post by cornmonger »

Collaborative map editing in real-time.

Return to “General”