[request - complete Thanks Vader] Sprite tidy up

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

[request - complete Thanks Vader] Sprite tidy up

Post by Enjay »

OK, I realise that this is quite a "big ask" but does anyone feel like tidying these sprites up a bit. They are based on sprites from Astrostein. However, the original sprites were too small for what I needed so I enlarged them a bit but this left quite a few "blocky" bits. I've tried to clean up as many as possible but it could still be better. There just doesn't seem to be enough "depth" to them. I also changed the heads and did some recolouring.

Also, there are other issues - eg the before and after firing frames in rotations other than front on are the same as each other and don't really look like the front-on stance. It would be really nice if that was corrected.

The other heads are for other enemies I plan on making using the same basic body but with minor alterations.

The palette is not quite the same as Doom. This is deliberate and this palette needs to be used.

Anyone?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xim

Re: [request] Sprite tidy up

Post by Xim »

I'd maybe give it a shot if I had the time/patience. But it doesn't look that bad at all if you ask me.

EDIT: Wait, yeah upon a closer look there does seem to be some bits there, yeah. :roll:
Vader

Post by Vader »

Still not perfect and only the walking frames are done, but is this any better?

Especially the boots have been quite tricky (and they still look somewhat odd in many frames), but I think it looks a bit tidier than before. I also tried to improve the shading in places, but didn't spent too much time on that to be honest...

If that's good enough for your needs, I can try to complete the rest of the sprites within the next few days. I may also give the corrected angled firing frames a shot, but I won't promise anything :P
JoeyTD
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by JoeyTD »

Vader wrote:Still not perfect and only the walking frames are done, but is this any better?

Especially the boots have been quite tricky (and they still look somewhat odd in many frames), but I think it looks a bit tidier than before. I also tried to improve the shading in places, but didn't spent too much time on that to be honest...

If that's good enough for your needs, I can try to complete the rest of the sprites within the next few days. I may also give the corrected angled firing frames a shot, but I won't promise anything :P
I really hate to bust you spriting bubble here but i completed teh firing angles for the troop and the officer in my rescoure topic, so you met went to shot by my topic for that one.
Sorry Vader.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Err, it's not exactly a bad thing sprites like this already exist as it means less work. It's not like I want a trophy for the tidy up or something, I just wanted to help out Enjay because he's a cool guy and nobody else seemed to be interested :P

Also, I can't seem to find that topic you mentioned, could you provide a link?
JoeyTD

Post by JoeyTD »

Vader wrote:Err, it's not exactly a bad thing sprites like this already exist as it means less work. It's not like I want a trophy for the tidy up or something, I just wanted to help out Enjay because he's a cool guy and nobody else seemed to be interested :P

Also, I can't seem to find that topic you mentioned, could you provide a link?
Spoiler:
I deleted them off my sprite topic *dumbass*.
I need to make a folder, real bad.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

JoeyTD wrote:I deleted them off my sprite topic *dumbass*.
Hey now, no need to be rude.
JoeyTD

Post by JoeyTD »

wildweasel wrote:
JoeyTD wrote:I deleted them off my sprite topic *dumbass*.
Hey now, no need to be rude.
I was saying that to myself for deleteing teh troop sprites from my topic.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Vader wrote:Still not perfect and only the walking frames are done, but is this any better?
Yes, noticeably better. Thank you very much for your efforts. :) I found it to be a surprisingly awkward little sprite. I hope you get a chance to do the full set. Thanks again.

@JoeyTD, nice firing rotations too. I'm sure that they will cut down the work needed to do rotations for the red guy. If I may suggest one improvement (it's not important for the red guy, but it is for the Wolf soldier) you only did rotations 2 through 5. Presumably you planned on using the built in reversing feature for 4 through 8. However, due to his diagonal cross-belt, the Wolf soldier is not symmetrical. It's only a minor point but I'd notice it in game. ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

It would be just like the gun jumping from arm to arm for the Doom zombies.

Or like this.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Enjay wrote: Yes, noticeably better. Thank you very much for your efforts. :) I found it to be a surprisingly awkward little sprite. I hope you get a chance to do the full set. Thanks again.
You're welcome!
And here is the full set:
Again, I feel there is much more room for improvement, as I just did a quick edit of those frames, but I hope this is good enough for your needs!
I would work on those sprites a little bit more, but I just have too much other stuff on my hands ATM, sorry.

I was also considering to use Joey's base for the firing rotations, but I figured that it would be as much work to resize and rework those frames as just doing them from scratch... so, that's what I did in the end :P

Edit:
I just noticed that the pistol in the 3/7 attack frames looks a little bit short... maybe it should be enlarged by about 1 or 2 pixels?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Vader wrote:Again, I feel there is much more room for improvement, as I just did a quick edit of those frames, but I hope this is good enough for your needs!
I would work on those sprites a little bit more, but I just have too much other stuff on my hands ATM, sorry
It certainly is good enough. Thank you very much. No need to apologise. I'm really happy with what you've done. I'll extend the pistol slightly then stick them in a WAD. Thanks again. :)
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

I think i'm gonna use this.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Enjay wrote:
Vader wrote:Again, I feel there is much more room for improvement, as I just did a quick edit of those frames, but I hope this is good enough for your needs!
I would work on those sprites a little bit more, but I just have too much other stuff on my hands ATM, sorry
It certainly is good enough. Thank you very much. No need to apologise. I'm really happy with what you've done. I'll extend the pistol slightly then stick them in a WAD. Thanks again. :)
I'm glad you like it :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, just been chopping up that sprite sheet and looking more closely at each frame. Definite improvements all round. Thanks once again.

Return to “Requests”