OBSIDIAN - Please Check https://obsidian-level-maker.github.io/ For Future Updates

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dasho

Re: OBSIDIAN - A continuation of Oblige/ObAddon [V20 - "Gates of Tartarus"]

Post by dasho »

NightFright wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:09 am I just tried to generate a Boom-compatible wad for Doom 1 and it crashed for me right in the first map with some error about frame 3 in sprite TLMP missing or something.

I was using latest Woof release, dunno if it's an issue with the port or the generated map.
I grabbed Woof 10.5.1 for Win64 and can launch both Doom 1 and Ultimate Doom levels made with default settings without issue; if you can post your LOGS.txt from the run where it failed I can try to replicate your settings.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Here are all the logs I could find. It's probably the latest ones, since the Boom-compatible wad was the last one I generated. TBH vanilla-compatible wads kinda suck, they are very bland and too geometric. Maybe that's something that can also be addressed eventually.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(20.22 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
dasho

Post by dasho »

NightFright wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:00 pm Here are all the logs I could find. It's probably the latest ones, since the Boom-compatible wad was the last one I generated. TBH vanilla-compatible wads kinda suck, they are very bland and too geometric. Maybe that's something that can also be addressed eventually.
The "Vanilla DOOM" option uses a bundled version of SLUMP (a SLIGE fork) to produce its levels. This is included as a courtesy so that users don't have to find a separate program and nodebuilder to make something that won't crash Vanilla. Prior to that, OBLIGE has never supported vanilla Doom with its limits. There will likely be new theme selections added to SLUMP and perhaps support for Heretic, HacX, etc, but the overall program will remain the same.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I see. Looks like the real stars are the limit-removing/Boom compat modes, then. If the maps aren't crashing, that is.

Is there a chance to also support Blake Stone at some point? For me it was always the best Wolf3D clone/offspring out there.
dasho

Post by dasho »

NightFright wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:20 pm I see. Looks like the real stars are the limit-removing/Boom compat modes, then. If the maps aren't crashing, that is.

Is there a chance to also support Blake Stone at some point? For me it was always the best Wolf3D clone/offspring out there.
The real stars for sure are anything Boom-compatible and up. Limit-removing uses a limited set of prefabs in comparison, as most of the newer content requires either Zdoom or at least Boom. I've even added an extra warning message for users that select Limit-Removing to make sure that their engine truly can't at least meet the Boom standard.

I can't actually find any reference to a resource named TLMP in our repo at all....do you have the verbatim error message that Woof gives you, by chance? I produced a megawad using the settings from your log and still had no errors upon starting Woof.

As far as Blake Stone goes, I'd like to write a definition for it. It's pretty much the only other game that our id Tech 0 generator would feasibly support. I tried Operation Body Count, but the game itself was so unstable when using generated maps that it wasn't worth it.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I didn't quite get that error message right, it seems. The exact wording is as follows:
R_ProjectSprite: invalid frame 2 for sprite TLP2
This happened again now when creating a new one-level wad for Doom 1, Boom compatible.

I should add I have a few extra files in Woof's autoload folders, mainly a sound pack, the latest sprite fixes, widescreen stuff. These shouldn't cause issues with any maps, though.

TLP2 is an animated tech lamp sprite with 4 frames (A-D) and this error refers to the second one, TLP2B.
Last edited by NightFright on Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasho

Post by dasho »

NightFright wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:52 pm I didn't quite get that error message right, it seems. The exact wording is as follows:
R_ProjectSprite: invalid frame 2 for sprite TLP2
This happened again now when creating a new one-level wad for Doom 1, Boom compatible.

I should add I have a few extra files in Woof's autoload folders, mainly a sound pack, the latest sprite fixes, widescreen stuff. These shouldn't cause issues with any maps, though.

If my checks are correct, TLP2 is an animated tech lamp sprite with 4 frames (A-D) and this error refers to the second one, TLP2B.
What's in your load order? I'll try to mimic your setup 1:1 as best that I can. I also searched the repo for "TLP2" or even just "TLP" and didn't get any matches either. I'm stumped at the moment.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Here is a complete mirror of all my files in the doom-all, doom and doom2 autoload folders.
dasho

Post by dasho »

It looks like there is at least one prefab which is supposed to be ZDoom-only that doesn't have the "zdoom" port filter properly applied to it. It's also missing graphical assets that would be part of the ZDoom-exclusive Epic Resource Pack. The one that I found will crash the program with a similar message as soon as it would enter your FOV. I tried both Woof and DSDA-Doom just to make sure it wasn't some random port-specific bug. The next stable update should at least address the offending fabs that we are aware of.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Alright, great you found something! Guess it had nothing to do with my autoload assets, right?
In any case, I will wait for the next release, then. Fingers crossed it'll work flawlessly for me after that. So far I wasn't able to generate a single Boom-comp wad that didn't crash, sadly.
dasho

Post by dasho »

NightFright wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:09 am Alright, great you found something! Guess it had nothing to do with my autoload assets, right?
In any case, I will wait for the next release, then. Fingers crossed it'll work flawlessly for me after that. So far I wasn't able to generate a single Boom-comp wad that didn't crash, sadly.
Yeah, it looks like nothing about your particular setup is a fault. I need to remember to test with engines which are less tolerant of missing sprites/etc. I usually fire up EDGE-Classic which is of course biased because I work on it, but it doesn't consider things like that a fatal error. It might be a little bit before an update happens because we'd like to identify as many of these 'problem children' as possible.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I could open a Github issue for Woof to request making it more tolerant regarding these issues, but maybe it's good to have more sensitive ports so that problems like these can be found more easily.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

After a bit of experimentation, I could narrow down the issue:

It seems Obsidian generates maps with some Doom 2-exclusive assets for Doom 1 wads. The D1 wad that triggered errors in Woof was working properly when adding these eight lamp sprites from D2:
- TLMPA0-TLMPD0 and
- TLP2A0-TLP2D0

Wads generated for D2 worked without issues right away, so it's rather about D1-related content. So you need to make sure that the TLMP and TLP2 sprites are not used when "Doom 1" or "Ultimate Doom" are selected in Obsidian (or provide alternate graphics, for example from FreeDoom Phase 2). I dunno how engines like Edge Classic handle this - probably they just don't render the sprites if they can't find them, but in Woof the map just crashes instead.
dasho

Post by dasho »

NightFright wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:04 am After a bit of experimentation, I could narrow down the issue:

It seems Obsidian generates maps with some Doom 2-exclusive assets for Doom 1 wads. The D1 wad that triggered errors in Woof was working properly when adding these eight lamp sprites from D2:
- TLMPA0-TLMPD0 and
- TLP2A0-TLP2D0

Wads generated for D2 worked without issues right away, so it's rather about D1-related content. So you need to make sure that the TLMP and TLP2 sprites are not used when "Doom 1" or "Ultimate Doom" are selected in Obsidian (or provide alternate graphics, for example from FreeDoom Phase 2). I dunno how engines like Edge Classic handle this - probably they just don't render the sprites if they can't find them, but in Woof the map just crashes instead.
Good catch...I've seen an instance of (I think) SPCDOOR3 as well. I'm glad to hear that D2 maps work out of the box and that's it's an issue with our material/entity definitions versus some profoundly broken aspect of Boom compatible maps. Edge-Classic has a fallback patch/texture internally for these situations that just shows up as a question mark. I think it's similar to ZDoom's "warning sign" looking sprite.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I just heard about this project skimming through the Oblige Doom Wiki article and I must say that I am really impressed with this. I have only tested making urban themed Zdoom compatible maps so far. The maps' layouts are usually pretty weird and confusing but the detailing is pretty neat. I like that this can make 3d skyboxes too. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”