[4.9.0] Lullaby crashing in Win x64

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
supinnah
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[4.9.0] Lullaby crashing in Win x64

Post by supinnah »

Hello friends :)

It was brought up over on Doomworld (https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... or-gzdoom/) that Lullaby is crashing the latest GZDoom. I can duplicate it pretty easily and wanted to submit a report.

To test:
- load up GZDoom 4.9.0 with doom2.wad and lullaby.pk3 from the link above
- start a new game, any difficulty
- leave the starting room and run around outside for a bit

It seems to happen when looking at the structure to the north, but not always. It should only take a few seconds. Most often for me, it's when I'm looking to the northeast.

It's not a clean GZDoom crash, so no report is generated. Windows Event Viewer indicates a crash with SYSTEM32\riched20.dll:
Spoiler:
From testing the dev builds I've narrowed it down to g4.9pre-327 where it starts. The previous build seems to work fine.

specs:
Win11 21H2
i5-9600K CPU
24GB RAM
RTX 3070

Thanks!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [4.9.0] Lullaby crashing in Win x64

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's something wrong with the portal setup, but I cannot exactly see what. It runs into an endless portal recursion and terminates with a stack overflow.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Portals don't have a failsafe recursion limit? I saw a setting somewhere to determine how many recursions are allowed for mirrors, but I guess for portals that's something completely different.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

They do, I am guessing somehow the recurse counter is not being set? - or, checked?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The assumption was that stacked sectors would not cause recursion. It would be easier if it was trivially reproducable, but it only happens in very limited circumstances and the stack trace gets so long that analyzing where things go wrong is not that easy anymore.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Just wanted to report that, while the crash is fixed in 4.10.0, people are saying there are issues with the map on the 4.10.0 as well, namely the fact that the FPS is much lower than it was on 4.8.0.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's most likely because I limited the portal recursions so that it cannot crash anymore. The underlying cause has not been fixed so it isn't really surprising.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”