WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xim

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Post by Xim »

Casualfan wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:05 pm I'm trying to play Plutonia using this with a music mod, but when I start Plutonia I just get the standard midi. However, when I select Doom 2 I get the music that I loaded in. I also tried loading the mod with the standard Plutonia IWAD and it worked. Has anyone else ran into this? Is this a known bug? Or did I smoosh my WADS incorrectly?

Other than that it's working great so far. Haven't had any trouble loading up gameplay mods, and the convenience of having all the IWADs in one place can't be beat.
Yeah it works the same way for me too.
JPL

Post by JPL »

den killen wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:56 pm Found an issue when playing Plutonia 2 where WFALL textures are completely black. Judging by the console log and previous issues with this texture, I'm assuming it's a result of a previous fix attempt.

Loading the map in Doom Builder (Doom 2 format) with doom_complete.pk3 as a resource shows the texture as missing in the map, but not in the texture browser. A-BROWN4, SLAD10, and SLAD11 are completely missing, regardless of what map I open or create unless its in UDMF.

I should make a note about this explicitly in the readme, but mods that depend on the Plutonia or TNT IWADs aren't officially supported; those IWADs override some Doom 2 textures that WadSmoosh's IPK3 then has to search and replace, and PWADs that are expecting those originals but get my substitutions are going to produce a bad result.
You can try turning off "Final Doom Texture Substitutions" in the WadSmoosh section of the options menu, but if that doesn't work (or causes a different set of texture issues) then I don't think it's something I can reasonably fix.
JPL

Post by JPL »

Casualfan wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:05 pm I'm trying to play Plutonia using this with a music mod, but when I start Plutonia I just get the standard midi. However, when I select Doom 2 I get the music that I loaded in. I also tried loading the mod with the standard Plutonia IWAD and it worked. Has anyone else ran into this? Is this a known bug? Or did I smoosh my WADS incorrectly?

Other than that it's working great so far. Haven't had any trouble loading up gameplay mods, and the convenience of having all the IWADs in one place can't be beat.
WadSmoosh renames all the Final Doom music tracks so mods expecting the original track names won't work. I did a repack of all the relevant extant MIDI packs and posted it here: https://itch.io/post/4237949
Note that those packs aren't an official part of WadSmoosh and are offered without any support.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

JPL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 amWadSmoosh renames all the Final Doom music tracks so mods expecting the original track names won't work. I did a repack of all the relevant extant MIDI packs and posted it here: https://itch.io/post/4237949
Note that those packs aren't an official part of WadSmoosh and are offered without any support.
Those links in the itch.io post aren't working for me.
JPL

Post by JPL »

openroadracer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:48 pm
JPL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 amWadSmoosh renames all the Final Doom music tracks so mods expecting the original track names won't work. I did a repack of all the relevant extant MIDI packs and posted it here: https://itch.io/post/4237949
Ah, sorry about that, your browser might not want to download them because my website doesn't use HTTPS. Not sure how other browsers handle it but Firefox lets me make an exception for specific downloads. The contents of those two ZIPs are just PK3s, no executable code (but I'm guessing any binary data is considered suspicious).
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

JPL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 pmAh, sorry about that, your browser might not want to download them because my website doesn't use HTTPS. Not sure how other browsers handle it but Firefox lets me make an exception for specific downloads. The contents of those two ZIPs are just PK3s, no executable code (but I'm guessing any binary data is considered suspicious).
No, it's not even that. It's as if the addresses simply don't exist:
The connection has timed out

An error occurred during a connection to vectorpoem.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

JPL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 pm
Ah, sorry about that, your browser might not want to download them because my website doesn't use HTTPS. Not sure how other browsers handle it but Firefox lets me make an exception for specific downloads. The contents of those two ZIPs are just PK3s, no executable code (but I'm guessing any binary data is considered suspicious).
I tried with Chrome and the download wouldn't start at all, and then I tried with Edge (*shudders*) and my Malwarebytes blocked it and I had to make an exception. But the download worked fine for me.

Thanks for the midi patches! So far they're working great!
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

JPL wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25 pm
Tried again this morning, and I simply can't connect to the "vectorpoem.com" domain.

Maybe my privacy settings are to blame here... Damn this modern internet, looking to sell your data to the highest bidder.

Why can't we go back to 2005?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Try right click and copying the link, opening a new tab, and pasting it into the address bar. That's worked for me in a couple of past instances.
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

wildweasel wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:35 pmTry right click and copying the link, opening a new tab, and pasting it into the address bar. That's worked for me in a couple of past instances.
I tried copying the links, then cutting it down to just the domain address, and I still couldn't connect.
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

An old bug has cropped up again with this pack. Creating doom_complete.pk3 has the old problem with the stairs in TN_MAP30. They don't go all the way up. Neither at the red key, nor the final area.

Basically this all over again: viewtopic.php?p=1023806

Is there a way to fix it in the .pk3?

Edit: It appears this is already addressed, and it was the DoomRPG compatability patch that was removing the fix. I will report the bug there.
Death Mage

Post by Death Mage »

I think I found an actual WadSmoosh error this time. The bonus level in the Master Level's TEETH, Bad Dream. The switch at the end has an incorrect texture.

What it looks like in WadSmoosh:

What it looks like in TEETH.WAD:
Yarn366

Post by Yarn366 »

I can confirm the wrong texture that Death Mage has noticed.

That wall uses the SW1BRN1 texture. However, this texture differs between Doom 1 and Doom 2. In the case of TEETH.WAD, obviously the Doom 2 version should be used, but it looks like WadSmoosh uses the Doom 1 version for all maps.
Gez

Post by Gez »

This texture error is pure stupidity on id Software's part, by the way. They should have kept the Doom 1 versions intact in Doom II, all the needed patches are there, no excuse.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Switch
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, I think I can fix this by adding a couple more lines to the "Doom 1 texture replacements" logic in the wadsmoosh zscript. And adding the definition of the Doom 2 version of the texture as well, of course.

The replacement seems to work fine in E1M3, and the texture shows up correctly in TEETH.WAD map32. However I notice that when I hit the switch in the latter map, it flips back to its Doom 1 version right as the level ends. Any idea why that would be?

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”