OBSIDIAN - Please Check https://obsidian-level-maker.github.io/ For Future Updates

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dasho

Re: OBSIDIAN - A continuation of Oblige/ObAddon [Beta 19]

Post by dasho »

I did post a stopgap fix to the repo earlier for this issue..it should work fine unless you're trying to make a Hexen-formatted prefab, but if you are using what comes in the repo the weird heights should be suppressed for now. I'm working on the "proper" solution, but that will take a little longer.
dasho

Post by dasho »

Lagi wrote:hexen map build now, but they are not playable due to "out of range coordinates"

i setup engine to Limit Removing - still Hexen gameplay is the worst, now i know that not only the levels are poor :-)
https://github.com/dashodanger/Obsidian ... t-Unstable

I have updated the Unstable release with a build that should hopefully address the out-of-bounds Hexen things issue, among other hotfixes.
roundtree
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by roundtree »

I think it is working perfect for Hexen, but the level generation is so fast its amazing! I have noticed an increase in speed on everything. In just a few minutes, this program does more than what I do in 2 weeks. Makes me wish I was an android.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Hexen content is pretty minimal at this point and has a long way to go still, Heretic has some support but neither are as fleshed out as Doom and Doom 2 (incl. Final Doom). There's some experimentation with other things, such as Chex Quest 3, HacX 1.2 and Harmony, but don't expect guaranteed results/gameplay generating with the latter 3.

Things are progressing normally, if one keeps an eye on Shooter's GitHub.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

I have a quick fix for Strife. If anyone is getting the error message "Script error: assertion failed," change the length from full game to one episode. After that it works perfect. I turned on procedural gotchas, and the bosses it makes are powerful to say the least. Those bosses are really cool! I don't use cheat codes but don't think I can win without companions, so yeah, I'm still cheating...
dasho

Post by dasho »

Yeah, Strife will be the next game to get some TLC now that Hexen is more stable. It's the only game left now in experimental status. I've been able to produce Quake/Duke Nukem maps, but there's far too much work to do for those to even put them as options for the time being.
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

I just had a thought come to me, Dasho:

What about a Wolfenstein mode for DooM II maps, so that you can have the secret levels in a full 32 set match theme with the vanilla secret maps? Make it where Wolfensyein mode overrides any other modifiers(Streets Mode, Nature Mode) and makes maps that emulate the old Wolfenstein 3d with some secrets that put DooM elements back in as per vanilla MAP31.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Oblige used to have Wolfenstein themed Doom maps, but then they got rid of them after a while. I'd like them to come back too.
dasho

Post by dasho »

It is certainly possible; just needs a theme, probably a reduced roster of possible monsters if you want to be faithful to the Doom 2 Wolfenstein levels, and some theme-specific fabs. With a custom shape grammar, you could also skip the smoothing steps and only have walls at 90 degree angles. There's some internal demand for Wolf3D theming to come back as well, so I would bet on this happening, just not sure of a timeframe :/
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

I am now running Obsidian on my phone. It's a Galaxy S10+ if anyone is curious about the hardware. You have to take the 32-bit executable and run it in exagear with wine 6.0. BIG difference in speed. You are actually MUCH better off running Obsidian on a PC. For example, it took me approximately 8 minutes to do an 11-level Strife WAD. On my PC, it takes about 1 minute. But the cool thing is, I no longer have to fire up a PC to generate WAD files, but I have to physically move the files out of the exagear container to copy them into my regular android filesystem. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKCSRlAqBRY

Also in this video, I introduce the first-ever complete upscale pack for Strife (mainly 4xbsrgan with sourcetex, yanderepixelart). I have done the textures, flats, sprites, objects, enemies, pics, etc. The only thing is I had to go back over the flats with sourcetex vs. bsrgan to preserve the original detail, so I'm still going back over the textures and redo them if they are "too clean". Sorry to get off topic... I should have maybe made these two different videos, but I was excited about Obsidian making level sets for Strife.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

Never tried the themes before today! I just tried them for the first time ever, and I'm amazed! I know I'm slow to try things sometimes but I'm glad I tried it finally.
Xim

Post by Xim »

dasho wrote:It is certainly possible; just needs a theme, probably a reduced roster of possible monsters if you want to be faithful to the Doom 2 Wolfenstein levels, and some theme-specific fabs. With a custom shape grammar, you could also skip the smoothing steps and only have walls at 90 degree angles. There's some internal demand for Wolf3D theming to come back as well, so I would bet on this happening, just not sure of a timeframe :/
That's good to hear. My suggestion is keep the monster roaster the same as Doom, just with SS guys as common enemies, and leave most of it up to the user. But if you wanted to make a new roaster you could probably have dogs as enemies too, since GZDoom includes a MBFHelperDog.
roundtree

Post by roundtree »

I have seen some map levels with 50 to 99 maps, but I don't think they were made by Obsidian. I just wanted to ask if that is possible. I would love to make some 99 level wads but I would probably never finish them.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

roundtree wrote:I have seen some map levels with 50 to 99 maps, but I don't think they were made by Obsidian. I just wanted to ask if that is possible. I would love to make some 99 level wads but I would probably never finish them.
That would indeed be a nice added feature, at least for generating maps for GZDoom.
I could see it being possible if, for the number of maps to be generated ( map33 to mapwhatever ), a MAPINFO lump could also be generated, with an appropriate slider for the number of maps.
dasho

Post by dasho »

The "over 32 level megawad" question has definitely been asked before...unfortunately, the underlying Lua in Obsidian (and Oblige before it) makes a LOT of assumptions about the size of a full game, the size of an episode, how many episodes (or 'fake episodes' in the case of Doom 2) a game has, etc. It would take a significant amount of refactoring for a feature that would also need to take into account the other engines that can't support arbitrarily-long WADs. Random map generators are already accused of being a 'quantity over quality' affair, so I wouldn't see this coming down the pipe to be honest.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”