GZDoom 4.8.0 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZDoom 4.8.0 released

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Well whatever the case, I guess let this be a PSA that the build process in GZDoom acts weird if you use Ninja. So make sure to specify "Unix Makefiles" instead in CMake. A shame because Ninja builds slightly faster than just the usual Makefile with make -j9.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Yes - Ninja is a very useful tool, I've used it before. It's particularly nice for building on a non-local file system where file access may have significant latency that can add up over time.

You can remove the "dirty" flagging by going into tools/updaterevision/UpdateRevision.cmake and on line 19 remove the command line argument that says --dirty=-m. That will prevent Git from describing your tree as dirty.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Or better do git diff to see what was changed in those files.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Coming out of the woodwork (ill pick up pace again in a month or so, as i am moving to a place far better suited for community-Dooming) to thank the entire team for putting another solid release out.

Thanks especially to Graf, keeping up for so long with the development of a source port is not something many developers do.

I am surprised however that there is no mention on ZDRay. Nash made allusions to it appearing in 4.8.0 and forked the code to implement ZDRay before its inclusion in GZ, but not here yet. I reckon its not battle ready yet, but seeing some of the stuff people are making with custom builds over at DW has solidified my stance that it will be a killer feature for GZ along with a new nodesbuilder.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

As I understand it most of the ZDRay code is technically already merged into GZDoom for maintenance purposes. It's just currently disabled because the feature is still under development (I believe due to personal issues in Nash's life, among other things). Last I heard the plan is to have it coincide with the release of Nash's game Disdain, whenever that's done.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

There are still some bugs left with the lightmap features that make it not ready for 4.8.0.

Yes, the work has been merged into the main branch, but is deliberately made inaccessible (at least inconveniently) because it's still WIP code - the merge was done simply to park its progress and not lose the work again like what happened in 2019.

We have also been internally discussing some changes to be made here and there, and would like to do it in the background without outside interference or people using the features prematurely. This is why there is deliberately no mention of the feature anywhere.

When It's Done(tm) etc etc
Gezzdt

Post by Gezzdt »

I added a sound when a monster is crushed. But since the update it doesnt work anymore. I read in the notes that Realgibs is now restricted to player only. How do i get crushed monsters to play the sound?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The proper way would have been to define a valid sound for "misc/fallingsplat" which is originally only defined for Hexen.
Gezzdt

Post by Gezzdt »

Graf Zahl wrote:The proper way would have been to define a valid sound for "misc/fallingsplat" which is originally only defined for Hexen.
Thank you, that worked. :)
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

What is the cutscene system? Is it just playing videos?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SyntherAugustus wrote:What is the cutscene system? Is it just playing videos?
Yes; the functionality has been carried over from Raze and hooks into the intermission system.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Does that mean it cannot be activated amidst a level?

ehhhnd just to clarify since I keep dwelling on it, I asked about an explanation earlier only because I thought there might have been a one written for raze already, especially after the tone of the discord-alert, but if there isn't, I am not meaning to come across like I DEMAND one and am in a hurry, as I am still likely months off from being ready to fiddle with that sort of thing, and would be more likely to demand a pizza if I thought I was entitled to issue demands.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

At the moment you cannot start it within a level. It's surely doable but would have delayed the 4.8 release.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Strife slideshows can be started from within a level. Slideshows are a type of intermission and if I got it right, intermissions are a type of cutscene. So it might be possible to make the SlideshowStarter more generic as a cutscene starter?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, but I don't think that's the right idea. Better would be an ACS function to do it.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”