WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
red84140

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Post by red84140 »

Is it possible to add the PSX levels?
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by yum13241 »

People have customized Wadsmoosh to do these things apparently, it's in the OP.

TL;DR: No.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Or rather, TL;DR: Yes but DIY.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Hi Rachel I saw you in this post viewtopic.php?f=232&t=52757&hilit=WADSM ... 80#p943858, creating a freedoom_complete, with version v0.10.1, I wanted to do the same, but with the latest version v0.12.1, could you give the scripts you used for that compilation?

Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

I keep getting the error:

Script error, "doom_complete.pk3:cvarinfo.txt" line 1:
cvar 'ws_finaldoom_texswap' already exists

when running doom_complete.pk3 with GZDoom 4.8.2 and 4.7.1.

I put all the individual Master Levels wads into the correct folder along with the other wads, and the program seems to have worked. I didn't get any error messages, at least. Does anyone know why this error would pop up, and how I can fix it?

Let me know if you need more info to diagnose this!

Edit: Here's the complete startup
Spoiler:
JPL

Post by JPL »

Looks like you're loading doom_complete.pk3 twice, probably first as an iwad and then as a pwad. "cvar already exists" error for some unusual cvar is the classic error you get with that, and the few cvars WadSmoosh uses are prefixed with "ws" like that.
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

JPL wrote:Looks like you're loading doom_complete.pk3 twice, probably first as an iwad and then as a pwad. "cvar already exists" error for some unusual cvar is the classic error you get with that, and the few cvars WadSmoosh uses are prefixed with "ws" like that.
Yup, that was it. I was doing drag-and-drop instead of putting it next to the executable. Works great now! Thanks for the help!
cacopoggerbv
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cacopoggerbv »

I tried to download WadSmoosh from Itch.io, but when i try to download it the zip says ''error download error''.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

It works for me, i download it with no problems
cacopoggerbv
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cacopoggerbv »

Fortunately I was able to download it
TheRatCircus
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Post by TheRatCircus »

Great tool, I use the merged .pk3 for everything now.

I was looking into the archive's contents and noticed that the sky-substitution event handler doesn't self-destruct after doing its job. I altered it to do so, and haven't noticed any errant behaviour.

This seems like a free performance gain with no downside, but I wanted to ask directly: is there a technical reason this isn't being done, and I've just missed it completely?

Cheers.
JPL

Post by JPL »

TheRatCircus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:11 pm Great tool, I use the merged .pk3 for everything now.

I was looking into the archive's contents and noticed that the sky-substitution event handler doesn't self-destruct after doing its job. I altered it to do so, and haven't noticed any errant behaviour.

This seems like a free performance gain with no downside, but I wanted to ask directly: is there a technical reason this isn't being done, and I've just missed it completely?

Cheers.
I guess it's a holdover from the time when the sky substitution was done differently, at runtime rather than WorldLoaded, so it's stuck around.
Given that it only runs what little it does at level start, what's the real world performance + memory footprint of keeping it around?
TheRatCircus

Post by TheRatCircus »

The cost doesn't add up to much. Event handler calls do almost nothing if the functions aren't overridden. The object itself is 80 bytes internally.

I only made the change because it took almost no effort to do so, and my computer isn't as well-suited to GZDoom as it could be. The average user shouldn't notice.

Otherwise, it's just a micro-optimisation. There's no urgent need.
den killen

Post by den killen »

Found an issue when playing Plutonia 2 where WFALL textures are completely black. Judging by the console log and previous issues with this texture, I'm assuming it's a result of a previous fix attempt.

Loading the map in Doom Builder (Doom 2 format) with doom_complete.pk3 as a resource shows the texture as missing in the map, but not in the texture browser. A-BROWN4, SLAD10, and SLAD11 are completely missing, regardless of what map I open or create unless its in UDMF.

Last edited by den killen on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casualfan

Post by Casualfan »

I'm trying to play Plutonia using this with a music mod, but when I start Plutonia I just get the standard midi. However, when I select Doom 2 I get the music that I loaded in. I also tried loading the mod with the standard Plutonia IWAD and it worked. Has anyone else ran into this? Is this a known bug? Or did I smoosh my WADS incorrectly?

Other than that it's working great so far. Haven't had any trouble loading up gameplay mods, and the convenience of having all the IWADs in one place can't be beat.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”