ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Logan MTM

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Logan MTM »

JonayaRiley wrote:Okay, that does make sense - who're the wiki admins?
I wish you luck. I've been waiting for almost two years to be able to contribute to the wiki again.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Logan MTM wrote:
JonayaRiley wrote:Okay, that does make sense - who're the wiki admins?
I wish you luck. I've been waiting for almost two years to be able to contribute to the wiki again.
I mean, i got mines because i asked Gez in a PM.

Also MediaWiki can indeed be rather finnicky with who can do who. I am actually implementing a MediaWiki setup on my work modelled after ZDoom's, so i guess ZDoom's influences go many aways, haha.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Images are completely broken suddenly. Instead there's text saying: "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination"

This also affects the Raze wiki, not that anyone uses it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:Images are completely broken suddenly. Instead there's text saying: "Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination"

This also affects the Raze wiki, not that anyone uses it.
This is on my to-do list to address, but right now unfortunately there are much more critical issues that have to be tackled first with the site.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Any chance to add a dark skin for the wiki? My eyes aren't what they used to be anymore... :mrgreen:
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Nash wrote:Any chance to add a dark skin for the wiki? My eyes aren't what they used to be anymore... :mrgreen:
That would nice indeed.
I wonder if the Night Mode extension is easy to import
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Kappes Buur wrote:
Nash wrote:Any chance to add a dark skin for the wiki? My eyes aren't what they used to be anymore... :mrgreen:
That would nice indeed.
I wonder if the Night Mode extension is easy to import
There is also MediaWiki's DarkMode extension, although it is experimental.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Made several attempts to load the darkmode extension, to no avail. For some reason it crashes the wiki load and I can't find any clues in the error log.

The images and page editing should be fixed.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sorry to say but with the way the wiki is currently designed, dark skins are not possible. It will be necessary to update templates in order to be skin-neutral.

I'll leave DarkCosmos active for now in case things like that ever get updated. But the skin is currently unusable with the way things are set up right now in the wiki itself.
inkoalawetrust
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by inkoalawetrust »

I've written two guides on the wiki on how to make actors that can by modified by the level editor, one of them is about using ZScript user variables to do it, and is obviously targeted to L/GZDoom. And the other is has the same subject too, but uses only DECORATE and is mostly targeted towards Zandronum, and is about making a configurable actor by adding values to the actors' args[] array fields, then having custom behavior given to the actor, by checking for what the value of a member of the array is from within action functions that support expression parameters, especially A_JumpIf(). The latter half also covers how to use editor keys to integrate the custom arguments to the editor, such as by giving each field uses by the actor a name, a tooltip, and even enums to make drop down menus for the argument, instead of just purely entering numbers into it. Below are the links for both guides:

[wiki]Using user variables in ZScript[/wiki]
[wiki]Making configurable actors in DECORATE[/wiki]

The ZScript guide I wrote a few days ago, and I planned to write its' DECORATE equivalent just tomorrow after writing the first one, but due to a mix of lack of motivation, procrastination and replacing my old-ass ooga booga caveman OptiPlex 760 with a custom PC from the 21st century in the middle of writing half of the guide, it took 2-3 days longer to finish it than anticipated.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to embed external animated GIFs ? I want to embed an animated GIF to my user page with an alt-text caption on it, but can't.
Gez

Post by Gez »

inkoalawetrust wrote:Also does anyone know if there is a way to embed external animated GIFs ? I want to embed an animated GIF to my user page with an alt-text caption on it, but can't.
Embedding external images in a MediaWiki depends on whether this setting is on and I believe it to be off on the ZDoom wiki.
determin1st

Post by determin1st »

https://zdoom.org/wiki/User_variable

user_* variables are inherited by child actors

(it's not mentioned anywhere)
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

determin1st wrote:https://zdoom.org/wiki/User_variable

user_* variables are inherited by child actors

(it's not mentioned anywhere)
all variables are inherited by child actors. That's how object oriented programming works. There really shouldn't be a need to point that out in the wiki.
Pyhrrous

Post by Pyhrrous »

Hey, I'd like to set up a wiki account but something seems to be blocking me from doing so, is there another way I can create an account?
Pyhrrous

Post by Pyhrrous »

Gez wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:41 am
Gez wrote:PM Rachael, Blue Shadow, or me with your email address and your desired username, and then we can create an account for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience but the spambot horde was unrelenting.
Oh, whoops, didn't fully read the thread. I'll go ahead and PM.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”