SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.12 (26/May/2020)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Borpo The Wizard1 wrote:Can there be some sort of Entry converter...? I'm trying to convert a marker (that is supposed to be a map) into a map marker. I'm kinda confused why there isn't one, maybe if you click on it a pop up window will appear saying; "Doing this may or may not ruin your entry, are you sure?" Or something along the lines of that.. I made an account just for this and am very frustrated. Thanks.
How did you create the map?

It would be most unusual for Slade3 not to recognize a map lump as a map, whatever you name/rename the map lump. For example MAP01 or SCENARIO, staying within the 8 character limit.

If that map lump is not recognized as a map, then there is some serious problem going on.

Perhaps you could upload your pwad.
Gez

Post by Gez »

A marker is an entry without any information inside; while a map marker is an entry that is followed by map lumps and serves to give them a unique identifier (because map lumps themselves are not unique). Both are therefore special cases compared to other entries:
* a marker is defined by not having any content at all. Its size is 0 bytes. If there's even one single byte, it's no longer recognized as a marker.
* a map marker is defined not by its own content, but by the lumps that follow it. If they form an apparently-valid map in either Doom, Hexen, Doom64, or UDMF format, then it's recognized as a map marker. Note that contrarily to a plain old marker, a map marker can actually contain data; cf. FraggleScript.

A process to "convert a marker into a map marker" would imply automatically generating map lumps based on zero information; in other words it'd be a random level generator feature.

In a roudabout way you can cut the map lumps from a map and paste them after your marker lump. That'll turn it into functionally a map marker. I don't really see the point of doing that*, but you can do it.

(* outside of some wad archeology, but that's a very specific case involving old mods made with old modding tools that did not overwrite maps correctly.)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Is there a way within SLADE to capitalize all characters? Or perhaps someone knows a trick for doing exactly that?
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

TEXTURES visual editor corrupts any entry that contains the "optional" keyword.

After doing any changes in the visual editor, entries that look like this:

Code: Select all

Texture Optional "BDT_WFA1", 64, 128
{
    NoDecals
    Patch "WFALL1", 0, 0
}
will turn into this:

Texture "OPTIONAL", 0, 0
{
}
At the moment I have to use the visual editor, copy the code for the entry, roll back the changes, then manually paste the code in the right place, which is... not ideal.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Does Slade3 free up memory after closing?

I'm not sure if this happens universally, obviously, for me Slade3 gets slower and slower. As I open and close Slade3, using it to look at or edit various pwads or create some maps, it will take longer and longer to open Slade3, up to several minutes.

Clicking anywhere during that time Slade3 responds with 'Not Responding'. The only remedy at that point to make Slade3 respond quickly again is to do a hard reboot.
Annunakitty
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Annunakitty »

Anybody know what's up with mancubus.net? I'm getting back into mapping and am trying to see if there are any updates to Slade, but the site is down.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You can look at the latest updates on GitHub: https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/releases
AtomicLugia

Post by AtomicLugia »

When I add textures to TEXTUREX in the most recent version of SLADE (v3.2.0 Beta 2), it adds the right bracket at the end of each definition twice:

// Texture definitions generated by SLADE3
// on Fri May  7 23:47:16 2021

"Tiles094", 128, 128
{
	Patch "Tiles094", 0, 0
}}

"Tiles093", 128, 128
{
	Patch "Tiles093", 0, 0
}}
Sure it's a minor inconvenience but when you add lots of textures (over 50 or 100 at once) this could prove to be tedious.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

How can I use a custom palette with SLADE? I need to export stuff from Exhumed/Powerslave but this palette is not among the defaults.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Right click on the palette and select Palette->Add to Custom Palettes to add it definitively, or Palette->Test Palette to add it just for the current session.

If it's a 6-bit palette, you can use the console command "palconv" to turn it into an 8-bit palette. Do that if the colors are "too dark" because max brightness is 63 instead of 255.

Custom palettes are added to %APPDATA%\SLADE3\palettes, so you can add/change/remove them manually this way, too.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Is there any way to efficiently set the offsets of a large number of sprites?

The default workflow imposed by SLADE is as follows:

- select sprite in the left pane of files
- click into the offset fields with the mouse - after moving the mouse across half the screen to get there.
- enter a number
- move the mouse to the top of the screen where the save button is located.
- now move to the left pane again because obviously it no longer has the focus.
- select the next sprite.
- now a popup appears asking me if I really want to save my sprite (yes, I want - I pressed the save button after all!!!
- after confirming that I can finally select the next sprite in my list
- rinse and repeat that procedure for every single sprite

Obviously when doing this for roughly 2000 sprites this workflow becomes utterly impractical. Is there any way to improve it? Since offsets may differ between sprites I cannot use some batch tool. The worst part is that I have to use the mouse for most steps and often have large ways between the buttons to click. It'd already be a lot of help if I could just use the keyboard for navigation and not the mouse.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Graf Zahl wrote:Since offsets may differ between sprites I cannot use some batch tool.
Can you explain that in more details? SLADE has auto-offsets choices that are computed from the image's dimensions -- projectile will choose the center of the picture, while monster (gl friendly) will choose the bottom center. Manual offsets are more meant for occasional nitpickery after applying auto-offsets.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This was about the extended fonts I made for Raze. Depending on the ascender's height I needed to set a different offset. The defaults are pretty much useless for this particular use case.
In the end, to make things easier, I pre-sorted the sprites by offset and applied them in groups, because doing it one by one was clearly unfeasible.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Deon wrote:I think I figured out the trouble with sprite offsets... It looks like there's a bug in SLADE 3 which made me lose almost two hours trying to figure out.

Apprently unless SLAD3 marks an item with a star (*) which means Modified, pressing ctrl-S saves nothing. So even if you change offsets and the program asks you if you want to save changes, and you click yes... It saves nothing. You need to fake-rename a file so it's tagged with a star, and the problem is resolved!

By fake-renaming I mean... Let's say you have IMG0. Rename it to IMG01 and back to IMG0. Slade will save it now.
I can certainly confirm this is still an issue. It was driving me mad for two hours that the ready sprites for a weapon were jumping up and down and there were no issues in the code I could see.

I'm also having a strange issue where a PNG with RGB seems to be suddenly being considered as if Index/palletted when loaded in game (and being quite messed up), which I literally cannot understand, and am assuming its a related issue to the above.

It's quite strange, I've been using the Beta 2 for ages with no issues (besides it occasionally deciding to stop loading assets after awhile requiring a restart, and the thing where new files always load in new windows rather than tabs unless you drag and drop them onto the main window, which are both a mild nuisance); but suddenly I''ve started having several sprite related issues. I might have to downgrade I guess, which is a pain, I'm very used to the new directory structure interface now which is much better.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Actually that bug is one of the reasons why I downgraded to an older version of SLADE and have refused to upgrade ever since. The new SLADE looks nice and all but that bug makes working for me untenable and I simply cannot use it in that state. So I am using the latest released version instead, rather than the betas.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”