Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Doom Runner (yet another graphical Doom launcher)

Post by NightFright »

You need to keep "Ctrl" key pressed to deselect an already selected entry.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

This was my favorite launcher for a long time, but lately I've been getting hit with a really annoying bug. If my PC crashes or gets shut down when Doom Runner is still running (ie a storm knocks out power. tested on multiple PCs) I get an error (that I couldn't get a screenshot of atm) which causes all my profiles to get deleted. Its annoying having like 20 profiles only to go back to one empty one -.-
Darth_Anyan

Post by Darth_Anyan »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:This was my favorite launcher for a long time, but lately I've been getting hit with a really annoying bug. If my PC crashes or gets shut down when Doom Runner is still running (ie a storm knocks out power. tested on multiple PCs) I get an error (that I couldn't get a screenshot of atm) which causes all my profiles to get deleted. Its annoying having like 20 profiles only to go back to one empty one -.-
The launcher saves config file on exit. As a workaround, you can exit the launcher after major changes in your config, and also backup options.json file.
i2van
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by i2van »

Darth_Anyan wrote: The launcher saves config file on exit. As a workaround, you can exit the launcher after major changes in your config, and also backup options.json file.
According to code config is also saved every minute.
Gen5lock131
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gen5lock131 »

NightFright wrote:You need to keep "Ctrl" key pressed to deselect an already selected entry.
Ah, thanks for the info NightFright.
mamaluigisbagel

I'm aware it saves when you quit, but I mean if the launcher is open and your PC shuts off right then as its still open, opening it again will load up the launcher as if it had no config file. (you have to add Source Ports, directories, etc again)

I understand I could easily back up the file, but wouldn't it be a better idea to try and find a fix? I don't think everyone will have the hindsight to backup their config files after they start using it for the first time. Not trying to force a fix, just thinking out loud.

Also noticed if a file in your profile is missing and you click that profile, you get an error message mentioning that its missing and it will be removed, which is normal. But I noticed it does remove it, but the error message continues to appear when you click on the profile even after the file is removed.
youda008

Post by youda008 »

Hm, this is strange. When that happened with the force shutdown, did it then show some warning message that the options are corrupted or something?
The launcher should automatically save current state every minute, and i cannot imagine how that would produce empty file, unless the operating system was in the midde of writing the data into the file when the crash happened. But if that's the case, there is nothing i can do about it in my app.
mamaluigisbagel

It does show an error message after I get my PC back on after the outage and then launch Doom Runner, but I don't have a screenshot or anything of it currently and don't remember what the error said. Will either edit my post or post again if I can get one.
i2van
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by i2van »

youda008 wrote:Hm, this is strange. When that happened with the force shutdown, did it then show some warning message that the options are corrupted or something?
The launcher should automatically save current state every minute, and i cannot imagine how that would produce empty file, unless the operating system was in the midde of writing the data into the file when the crash happened. But if that's the case, there is nothing i can do about it in my app.
You can save file with another name and after ensuring its correctness rename it. Or save backup. Or both.
mamaluigisbagel

Again, I know I can back up my files, but wanted to post this just to make things more clear. Had another power outage and lost my profiles, but managed to get a screenshot this time
Attachments
doom runner bug.png
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Can I request a way to load pwads after mods?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Still screaming for Raze support. That or make a spinoff launcher (Duke Runner?) for that purpose specifically.
BoneofMalkav

Post by BoneofMalkav »

NightFright wrote:Still screaming for Raze support. That or make a spinoff launcher (Duke Runner?) for that purpose specifically.
Better name, Build Razer :P :lol:
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Great launcher , but seems to freeze (not responding) while trying to load pwads from my maps folder

The fact that I have over 3000 files in the folder may be causing the issue , maybe ?

Is there a way to overcome the issue , or a way to speed up reading perhaps ?

The ability to read .txt files provided with the wad before choosing it is great

Thanks and best regards
youda008

Post by youda008 »

Xtyfe wrote:Can I request a way to load pwads after mods?
It's in my TODO list, but it didn't make it to the upcoming release.
For now a workaround is to drag the map file from the map list to the mod list and choose the loading order there.

Return to “Launchers”