Altair: A new source port (OpenGL, SDL, Boom stuff and more)

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Altair: A new source port (OpenGL, SDL, Boom stuff and more)

Post by Redneckerz »

What the heck, lets have this DoomWorld thread also here.

Introduction:
Altair is a new source port, created by csnxs, the alias of Sean Baggaley. Altair includes various bits from Boom together with a Quake like console, Chex Quest support and much, much more.

Features at a glance:
  • Quake-like console
  • High resolution support
  • Various Boom features (Patch translation, Scrolling floors, sector friction and sector pushers, Fake sector support)
  • Hexen-like jumping support
  • New IWAD detector
  • Uses FMOD Studio as sound system instead of MIDAS
  • Uses SDL (with OpenGL) as video backend
  • DirectX9 based video backend for software renderer
  • Uses a new demo format
  • Support for Chex Quest
  • Vertical looking, from Heretic
  • Mouselook support
  • Rewritten cheats code
  • Can run on Windows and Linux
Downloads: Issues:
  • It is difficult to determine which source code it is based from. I initially assumed Linux Doom, but the sound system is MIDAS - Used in very old versions of ZDoom. There is however not a trace of reference in the source code detailing it is derived from ZDoom. It does pull quite a bit of code from Quake 2, however.
  • I've tested the port out, and its surprisingly smooth and solid using the DX9 software (shader based) backend on my infamously lame rig. At highest resolutions, i was definitely at 60 fps.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Altair: A new source port (OpenGL, SDL, Boom stuff and m

Post by Graf Zahl »

So, it uses FMod with GPL code. That's not a legal combination, GZDoom dropped FMod for this.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Graf Zahl wrote:So, it uses FMod with GPL code. That's not a legal combination, GZDoom dropped FMod for this.
As noted by your post on DW there is indeed a lot of questionable legalese (Including a custom made license) that is all too conflicting. Additionally, i don't quite understand the need for a new demo format - Essentially making Altair demo's exclusive to the port with the same namesake.

Its disappointing in that regard. What it brings forward in terms of feature set is interesting enough to consider and to play around with, but the legalese cheese seems more like an effort done by someone who has very little clue about the implications any of these actions mean (Custom license, FMOD, MIDAS)

By the way, can you determine what source it is based from in general? Given MIDAS, that's very old ZDoom, but there is zero hints otherwise, and more references to just Vanilla Doom.

If its old ZDoom, then this definitely should be emphatized in the docs - Or heck, even in the source code itself.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Gez suggested that it could be based on ZDoom 1.12 and it looks like that's the case. Did he take the name from Assassin's Creed? :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Redneckerz wrote: By the way, can you determine what source it is based from in general? Given MIDAS, that's very old ZDoom, but there is zero hints otherwise, and more references to just Vanilla Doom.
If its old ZDoom, then this definitely should be emphatized in the docs - Or heck, even in the source code itself.
I noticed a few fragments that look like ZDoom, but it's only very minor stuff.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:Gez suggested that it could be based on ZDoom 1.12 and it looks like that's the case. Did he take the name from Assassin's Creed? :)
I would have to do a cross comparison to see what is pulled exactly because nothing in the documents suggests its from ZDoom but rather Vanilla Doom (So Linux Doom).

Is the DX9 software backend something useful for your string of legacy minded builds, drfrag?
Graf Zahl wrote: I noticed a few fragments that look like ZDoom, but it's only very minor stuff.
Like the license, quite a potpourri of code then :/ Ill see if i can contact the author on these things and see what comes up.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I could do an analysis with diffmerge but does it matter? About the FMod thing i don't think he will get a C&D.
I don't think so, may be if i wanted to do a WinBoom fork from the early betas without the SDL but i don't want to mess with Lee's atrocious/obfuscated code. Others already did. :P
But most importantly do you want to play TNT online later? I'm at MAP23, Torm could join. :) People from europe and not too far from spain are welcome.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:I could do an analysis with diffmerge but does it matter? About the FMod thing i don't think he will get a C&D.
I mean, i don't know. Perhaps the DX9 software renderer is useful for you, somehow :)
drfrag wrote: I don't think so, may be if i wanted to do a WinBoom fork from the early betas without the SDL but i don't want to mess with Lee's atrocious/obfuscated code. Others already did. :P
We already have Woof after all :P
drfrag wrote: But most importantly do you want to play TNT online later? I'm at MAP23, Torm could join. :) People from europe and not too far from spain are welcome.
I am terrible at MP games, and i lack the time. In the future, when there is more room, perhaps. :)
Gamerwarrior117

Post by Gamerwarrior117 »

interesting. thsi supports mods an Doom wads right?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Gamerwarrior117 wrote:interesting. thsi supports mods an Doom wads right?
I reckon it does do everything that ZDoom 1.x is able to (as its based from here)

Reminder to lock this topic since the author does not want the coverage.

Locked as requested - Enjay

Return to “Game Engines”