Adaptive VSync menu option

Moderator: Raze Developers

markanini

Adaptive VSync menu option

Post by markanini »

I had no idea Adaptive VSync was enabled ny default and it was causing occasional tearing on my system. Perhaps it would reduce the numer of support requests if the option was selectable in the menu along side fulls vsync and off.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Adaptive VSync menu option

Post by sinisterseed »

It isn't. I think it's a different issue that just causes the tearing in the Blood intros which causes the Adaptive VSync to kick in as a result.

At any rate, honestly I think it would be nice to have a toggle for gl_control_tear, named just "Tearing Control" or I dunno.
markanini

Post by markanini »

Not sure about the specifics of cut scenes. But I noticed tearing in gameplay very occasionally in Raze and even GZDoom. Since input lag seems low enough either way I prefer full VSync.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

markanini wrote:Not sure about the specifics of cut scenes. But I noticed tearing in gameplay very occasionally in Raze and even GZDoom. Since input lag seems low enough either way I prefer full VSync.
Was that by any chance in hardware intensive areas/maps? That's also where I occasionally notice some tearing too, but only when the framerate goes below 60 a little (or more) and things get noticeably choppier.
markanini

Post by markanini »

You could say so. I would see tearing in larger maps, but never when facing a wall for example. As a test I try maxing out my GPU load by enabling some post-processing in the console, like 2x pixel scaling and bloom. Most of what I see at that point is skipped frames. Tearing is much rarer but I don't tolerate it personally.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Yeah, so do I, but when the decrease in performance isn't too high I notice tearing usually, instead of plain skipped frames. It's best observed when it's in the 50s for me.

Tearing doesn't bother me THAT much, because all my life I have played games on hardware that was very underpowered, and there was no real reason for me to use it if I rarely ever got over 60fps, and when I did, I just learned to live with it. Tearing usually bothers me only when it gets really brutal, like BuildGDX uncapped fps bad. For some reason that port has pretty violent tearing, even if I cap the framerate into the low three digits like 144 it's still quite bothersome.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

@markanini, can you please try setting gl_finishbeforeswap 1 via the console and seeing if that fixes your tearing issues. Slightly slower than finishing after swapping buffers (as in, could add a touch of input lag), but might stabilise your issues.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

mjr4077au wrote:@markanini, can you please try setting gl_finishbeforeswap 1 via the console and seeing if that fixes your tearing issues. Slightly slower than finishing after swapping buffers (as in, could add a touch of input lag), but might stabilise your issues.
It definitely doesn't fix it on my end if I turn gl_control_tear back to "true".

It seems this setting affects the tearing in the movies, and as long as it's active, the intros always display tearing.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [Raze]”