Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 18 2019 / DEV: AUG 24 2019]

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Here's a rudimentary Hexen compatibility patch too!

https://ufile.io/t9bkhoi3

@fasrln

I see that you use KEYCONF to define playerclasses. That method is deprecated and will cause MAPINFO player class definitions to be ignored.

Remove

Code: Select all

clearplayerclasses
addplayerclass fasplayer
from KEYCONF.

Your MAPINFO gameinfo definition

GameInfo
{
    PlayerClasses = "FasPlayer"
    ForceKillScripts = true
}
is entirely sufficient.

Otherwise my Hexen compat patch does not work. This is because it contains a new playerclass inheriting from FasPlayer that has increased jump height and defines strength values for the armor pieces. Otherwise you can't progress further than Guardian of Steel and armor provides no protection.

You can merge Ac!d's and my compat patch together, just put the Hexen and Chex folders into faspons' filter folder.

Edit: Thanks to the filter folder and different player classes, it's possible to seperate plasma rifle and bfg ammo in Heretic without affecting Doom's version of these Faspons weapons.
Thanks dude! I will merge that in.

As for the BFG stuff, yeah the filters would be able to do the functionality difference but it is more of a problem around consistency - I want the work the BFG to work the same on both game modes rather than it behave differently. I'll still think about it!
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

Here's the code for the Hexen ammo pickup :

- Blue Mana (Mana 1) gives RifleAmmo, Nato and Shells ;
- Green Mana (Mana 2) gives RocketAmmo and Cells ;
- Mixed Mana (Mana 3) gives Mana 1 and 2 ;
- ArtiBoostMana2 (ArtiBoostMana) give all ammo ;
Spoiler: Inspired by the NatoRifleBox code
And here's the ammo RandomSpawners for the ammo not picked up :
Spoiler: You can thanks me later, Hexen can be really hard.
Coding this stuff is like solving Hexen's puzzles, a true nightmare >:( :twisted:
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Here's a rudimentary Hexen compatibility patch too!

https://ufile.io/t9bkhoi3

@fasrln

I see that you use KEYCONF to define playerclasses. That method is deprecated and will cause MAPINFO player class definitions to be ignored.

Remove

clearplayerclasses
addplayerclass fasplayer
from KEYCONF.

Your MAPINFO gameinfo definition

GameInfo
{
    PlayerClasses = "FasPlayer"
    ForceKillScripts = true
}
is entirely sufficient.

Otherwise my Hexen compat patch does not work. This is because it contains a new playerclass inheriting from FasPlayer that has increased jump height and defines strength values for the armor pieces. Otherwise you can't progress further than Guardian of Steel and armor provides no protection.

You can merge Ac!d's and my compat patch together, just put the Hexen and Chex folders into faspons' filter folder.

Edit: Thanks to the filter folder and different player classes, it's possible to seperate plasma rifle and bfg ammo in Heretic without affecting Doom's version of these Faspons weapons.
Ac!d wrote:Here's the code for the Hexen ammo pickup :

- Blue Mana (Mana 1) gives RifleAmmo, Nato and Shells ;
- Green Mana (Mana 2) gives RocketAmmo and Cells ;
- Mixed Mana (Mana 3) gives Mana 1 and 2 ;
- ArtiBoostMana2 (ArtiBoostMana) give all ammo ;
Spoiler: Inspired by the NatoRifleBox code
And here's the ammo RandomSpawners for the ammo not picked up :
Spoiler: You can thanks me later, Hexen can be really hard.
Coding this stuff is like solving Hexen's puzzles, a true nightmare >:( :twisted:
Thanks to both of you! Pushed a change to the DEV branch:

LATEST UPDATES:

- NEW: Heretic compatibility (Thanks Ac!d and DabbingSquidward!)
- NEW: Hexen compatibility (Thanks Ac!d and DabbingSquidward!)
- CHANGE: Created base weapon actor for reference of all common code to allow easier bug fixes in a single area instead of multiple
- FIX: Soul resurrections no longer loop the raise animation over and over if the monster does not have line-of-sight
- FIX: Minor weapon lower animation tweaks to make them smoothly unselect and feel a bit more polished
I need to test out the games with the changes to see what little tweaks I might make. I noticed the beginning of Hexen is very melee heavy so I might do something akin to Army of Darkness and start off with a saw.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 25 2019 / DEV: AUG 29 2019]

Post by faslrn »

LATEST UPDATES:

- NEW: Darker brown leather gloves for all weapons! A nice little tweak to make you feel more badass!

I decided to make some tweaks to all my weapon sprites to give the Doomguy some darker brown leather gloves. No more of that "flesh" glove stuff, now you got REAL leather - feel the difference!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Yeah, the progression in Hexen with Doom weapons is really inconsistent. At first you're constantly out of ammo and later you're always full of ammo and a powerhouse with all weapons in your possession.
You might pull a Strife and start the player on MAP02 already. The Winnowing Hall has neither ammo nor guns and just serves to deprive you of your starting equipment. Players familiar with the game are probably tired of it.
So tired in fact, that you can skip half the map with the mage or any custom player class with ranged weapons by shooting the bell from afar.
Technically, it's part of the first hub, but there's no way or reason to return to it. Just treat it like an optional tutorial level, akin to Half-Life's Hazard Course :P
The only things you're missing out on are a few quartz flasks, flechettes and a helmet, but the game throws more at you than you wish for later on.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Yeah, the progression in Hexen with Doom weapons is really inconsistent. At first you're constantly out of ammo and later you're always full of ammo and a powerhouse with all weapons in your possession.
You might pull a Strife and start the player on MAP02 already. The Winnowing Hall has neither ammo nor guns and just serves to deprive you of your starting equipment. Players familiar with the game are probably tired of it.
So tired in fact, that you can skip half the map with the mage or any custom player class with ranged weapons by shooting the bell from afar.
Technically, it's part of the first hub, but there's no way or reason to return to it. Just treat it like an optional tutorial level, akin to Half-Life's Hazard Course :P
The only things you're missing out on are a few quartz flasks, flechettes and a helmet, but the game throws more at you than you wish for later on.
Thanks for the feedback on the Hexen runs! We will need to tweak this as much as we can but keep in mind - I will be giving the monsters a makeover at some point with the same Faspon-type tweaks to make it harder. That may balance a few things out.

Quick update as well:

LATEST UPDATES:

- NEW: Initialization weapon animations (spawn raise animation). Combat rifle is first but will be adding one for the fists and saw.
- NEW: Imp bloody monster sprites - finally!
fatlarry

Re: Faspons [REL: AUG 25 2019 / DEV: AUG 30 2019]

Post by fatlarry »

Could you please make the release a wad or pk3 file instead of a bunch of files? I don't know how to make this into a playable and I shouldn't have to. There is absolutely no reason to not do this whatsoever and the readme is a filetype I can't open without another program. The link that was posted a while back expired and I am not going to spend money just to get a friggin' download.
durbdoogle

Post by durbdoogle »

fatlarry wrote:Could you please make the release a wad or pk3 file instead of a bunch of files? I don't know how to make this into a playable and I shouldn't have to. There is absolutely no reason to not do this whatsoever and the readme is a filetype I can't open without another program. The link that was posted a while back expired and I am not going to spend money just to get a friggin' download.
Dude, you could ask nicely and not be a jerk about it and if you weren't intending to come off that way, it sure reads like it. FYI, .pk3 files are just .zip files. rename the file you downloaded to .pk3 and load that up with gzdoom or whatev
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

fatlarry wrote:Could you please make the release a wad or pk3 file instead of a bunch of files? I don't know how to make this into a playable and I shouldn't have to. There is absolutely no reason to not do this whatsoever and the readme is a filetype I can't open without another program. The link that was posted a while back expired and I am not going to spend money just to get a friggin' download.
You just need to click on the big red download link in the main post - be it either the Release or Development branch. It then directly gives you a ZIP file you can either rename to PK3 or just drag and drop it on GZDoom.

I imagine you clicked on the GitLab link or got to it another way but the main post has direct downloads.

Plus the link awhile back was just modifications for new updates, not a link I posted. The links in the OP are again - direct links to a ZIP file.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

I have a couple of suggestions I'd like to see implemented (Though I wouldn't be heartbroken if they are never a part of the mod). First, faster enemies, akin to slayers rampage. Next is the ability to wind up the chaingun with alt fire. Finally an optional Pistol, Grenade launcher, and railgun would be cool. Thanks for your time.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

TheOldKingCole wrote:I have a couple of suggestions I'd like to see implemented (Though I wouldn't be heartbroken if they are never a part of the mod). First, faster enemies, akin to slayers rampage. Next is the ability to wind up the chaingun with alt fire. Finally an optional Pistol, Grenade launcher, and railgun would be cool. Thanks for your time.
Oh and also SSG altfire would be cool as well
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

how do we know what is updated or not .. because the post seems to be from the original date i am so confused sometimes...
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

TheOldKingCole wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:I have a couple of suggestions I'd like to see implemented (Though I wouldn't be heartbroken if they are never a part of the mod). First, faster enemies, akin to slayers rampage. Next is the ability to wind up the chaingun with alt fire. Finally an optional Pistol, Grenade launcher, and railgun would be cool. Thanks for your time.
Oh and also SSG altfire would be cool as well
Ignore that last one, I didn't read the project goals.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

For faster enemies, it is part of my tweaks for the Ultimate Agitation difficulty that I'm still picking through so they will be a tad faster and harder to deal with.
theroguemonk wrote:how do we know what is updated or not .. because the post seems to be from the original date i am so confused sometimes...
Post is from the original date but the title of the thread has the last updated time: "[REL: AUG 25 2019 / DEV: AUG 30 2019]". I typically update this with any fixes or pushes I put into the code so keep an eye out for that ;-)

Also, I'm not dead - just busy with Dad life so it has been hard to get time alone to code some more. This isn't dead (and never will be jk pls no) so bear with me as I adjust to things!
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: MAR 13 2020 / DEV: MAR 13 2020]

Post by faslrn »

LATEST UPDATES:

- FIX: Archvile res sometimes created invisible monsters.
- NEW: Two new difficulties: "Ultra Iron Violence" and "Ultimate Iron Agitation". You have one life. You die and your run is over - no do-overs. Any of your save games (auto or manual) are done - they load but you aren't alive. Only way is to start a new game from the menu.
Iron Man is something I've wanted to do for some time. I love a good challenge and the feeling of having a single life in a run is kind of exciting - make a mistake and it could be your last. Works as the description above states: you die once and your saves are done. If you try to reload from any save from that run, it ain't gonna work - only thing you can do is relive the nightmare and start from the beginning.

Please let me know of any feedback you have of this feature and if anything breaks because of it! Thanks!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”