Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: Kyle873's Doom RPG Mod [0.10.0 Beta]

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:26 am

Doomguy914 wrote:OK. New update on that glitch. I had previously thought that just the credits/modules/medkit displays were removed, but I have discovered so much more. I am invulnerable. Monsters do not see me. I can't see the RPG menu/shop, and I can walk right through monsters as if they weren't standing right in front of me. Also, monsters no longer display their health and stats.

http://imgur.com/a/nsJr1

Yeah, the entire mod depends on scripts running correctly, so if they all crash at the same time, nothing is going to work. Try loading a save from before when you entered the map in which they crashed.

I had something similar happen to me when using the Defense Drone Launcher (missile launcher + PATT). At first it was fun running around with 20 drones circling me and zapping any enemies I encountered, but then most of my HUD disappeared as I got the message "Error: Tried to resize destroyed array powermod." It looked exactly like the runaway script glitch, except with a different cause. I discovered that the problem was that you can't use the Defense Drone Launcher at the same time you have a turret deployed, as putting my turret away seems to have resolved it.

ETA: I seem to have been mistaken, it was the turret alone that caused the glitch, not the drone launcher. The turret runs on numerous simultaneous scripts, and any one of them can go wrong.

I managed to reproduce the runaway script glitch using Subenji's latest update. I had just revisited the first map of a wad in order to complete a Kill Monsters mission, and the moment I tried to transition to the second map, all the scripts crashed.
Frozenwolf150

Postby Someone64 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:00 pm

I can confirm that the powermod bug is caused by turrets. I was having the exact same problem before consistently and it would never happen when I put the turret away.
Someone64

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:29 pm

I was reluctant to use Subenji's newest build, as it had a bug that interfered with quests. As I mentioned earlier, if you got a quest and then used a stim, it would would erase your quest and replace it with a generic placeholder. However, I just now discovered a few more bugs. (Edit: Added to the list, and removed one that wasn't a bug.)

* If you use a stat booster stim, then transition to a different map before it wears off, you will get a massive boost to all your stats when it does wear off. In my case, I still had a strength stim active when I returned to the UAC Outpost, and when it wore off, all my stats jumped to 165 or higher (one was actually 205). To avoid cheating, I had to waste money to respec my stats, but that seems to have fixed it.
* Changing maps now randomly causes the error "divide by zero in script _overviewhud." This causes the credits / modules / medkit display to disappear. It doesn't appear to be as severe as the runaway scripts glitch though, as sometimes waiting a while and then attempting the map transition again will solve the problem.
* For some reason my turret's attributes have all been multiplied by 5, making it insanely overpowered. I don't know how to reproduce this, other than to mention that I purchased the maintenance efficiency upgrades first, before attempting to install anything else.
* Having the turret deployed causes the console to be spammed with a string of messages, including "ACS: I don't know what drpgturretreflection15 is." This might be related to the aforementioned bug.
* As mentioned earlier, deploying the turret while I have defense drones out will cause the game to instantly lock up the moment they try to fire at the same time.
Last edited by Frozenwolf150 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frozenwolf150

Postby nakkemake » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:13 am

Is it possible to make this a not launcher based or can it be started using any other method? The launcher seems to be very buggy (to me) - sometimes it starts doomrpg, but it will not start doomrpg with RLA. 90% of the time it wont even start the doomrpg. I just end up playing normal doom instead.
nakkemake

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Now the turret attributes have been multiplied 25x. Not only that, but I also can't install any more upgrades because the maintenance script refuses to work. This didn't happen in the latest official release.

The game has decided to lock up whenever I try to do a Kill Reinforcements mission. No offense, but I don't think this version is playable. Every time I've started a new game, I've eventually run into a glitch that breaks the game. I'm only 8 maps into a megawad and I've hit a wall.

In both versions though, the turret feature is extremely glitchy. I would suggest either simplifying it so that it doesn't have to run a ton of scripts at once, or getting rid of it entirely so that its scripts aren't constantly running in the background. I've had my HUD disappear, without any error messages at all, during big firefights when the turret is out. Whenever this happens the turret either falls to the ground or sticks to a wall and remains there permanently. I've had the game repeatedly lock up, or GZDoom simply crashes with errors, when the turret is out.

I don't really need to have 70+ features on the turret. Its only purpose is to shoot enemies when I need some extra firepower. I don't need it to inject me with stims. I don't need it to reflect projectiles or charge its battery from different damage types. I don't need it to self destruct, possibly killing me in the process. I don't need it to heal me or teleport me, because I can take care of that myself. Hell, I don't even need the turret to move. I would be perfectly satisfied with a stationary tripod turret, like the kind you can summon with the Frontline Engineer Suit, that I can place at choke points. The only features I'd want to keep are the ability to switch ammo types, and to upgrade its basic armor. It seriously does not need to do anything more than that.
Frozenwolf150

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 am

Okay, I reverted to the last official release from the OP, as well as the last stable release of GZDoom. I waited for the runaway script glitch to occur again so that I could log it, and it did. My logfile is slightly different from the one posted by GuardStrike, so here it is. The MonsterInit entry repeats about 34 times, so I only included one instance.

Runaway script "MonsterInit" terminated
Runaway script "_GlobalInit" terminated
Runaway script "_MapInit" terminated
Runaway script "_PassingEvents" terminated
Runaway script "_ShopSpecialHandler" terminated
Runaway script "_StimHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_EventHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_PowerupHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_DRLAHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_ComboHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_CoopViewHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_Init" terminated
Runaway script "_AuraTimerHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_StatusEffectHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_MultiplayerHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_OverviewHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_StatHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_MissionHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretCommandWheel" terminated
Runaway script "_SkillHUD" terminated
Runaway script "_SkillWheel" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretLoopMaintenance" terminated
Runaway script "_TurretLoop" terminated
Runaway script "addunknownmap" terminated
Runaway script "enteroutpost" terminated

All of these scripts can be restarted via the console, using the Pukename command. I've been trying to figure out a way to restart them all at once, so I'll let everyone know as soon as I can.

Update: So here's what I did. I used the Alias command to put all the scripts together, but I had to divide it into 3 because GZDoom doesn't let you make a console command that long. This is what the commands look like:

Code: Select allExpand view
alias restartscripts1 "pukename monsterinit; pukename _globalinit; pukename _mapinit; pukename _passingevents; pukename _shopspecialhandler; pukename _stimhud; pukename _eventhud; pukename _poweruphud; pukename _drlahud; pukename _combohud"

alias restartscripts2 "pukename _coopviewhud; pukename _init; pukename _auratimerhud; pukename _statuseffecthud; pukename _multiplayerhud; pukename _overviewhud; pukename _stathud; pukename _turrethud; pukename _missionhud; pukename _turretcommandwheel"

alias restartscripts3 "pukename _skillhud; pukename _skillwheel; pukename _turretloopmaintenance; pukename _turretloop; pukename addunknownmap; pukename enteroutpost"

Then the next time it crashed, I entered restartscripts1, restartscripts2, and restartscripts3 into the console one at a time. You can modify these aliases to match the specific scripts you need to restart. You can also bind keys to each one, to make it quicker.

ETA: And it still didn't work. The scripts just crashed again when I tried to go to any other map. Also, every 10 seconds my character would use up an extra life, as if his health reset.
Frozenwolf150

Postby Tranthula » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Wow, never knew we could restart scripts. Hopefully this bug gets smashed pretty soon. I wish I knew about coding to help out, this mod is really good.
Tranthula

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:33 pm

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out another script related bug, and I don't know if this mod is causing it by interfering with map scripts. There are certain maps containing doors or walls that only lower once all the monsters in a certain area of the map are killed. One example from vanilla Doom II is Dead Simple, Map 07. The walls leading outside are supposed to lower once all the mancubi are killed, but it doesn't work for me and I have to just jump to reach the exit switch. Every single map I've played that has a similar trigger has failed to work properly. I've tried guessing at the "puke" scripts to lower the walls, to no avail.

I have DRLA set to Armageddon difficulty, which causes more enemies to teleport in at random, but I don't know if that's the cause. I have however found that one of these mods is making it impossible to get 100% kills on certain maps, because it doesn't count the monsters properly, and I always fall 1 short. Using the CCMD "kill monsters" does not work, as it just tells me that 0 monsters were killed.
Frozenwolf150

Postby wildweasel » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:36 pm

It's possible one monster may have been stranded outside the map boundaries. Type AM_CHEAT 3 at the console and see if there's anything moving on the map that you can't reach.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:42 pm

wildweasel wrote:It's possible one monster may have been stranded outside the map boundaries. Type AM_CHEAT 3 at the console and see if there's anything moving on the map that you can't reach.

I've checked and there are none; I also have the automatic tracking scanner perk thanks to >100 Luck, but it's not showing anything either. The scripts simply aren't working properly. I have never had monster death events work properly, whether in the vanilla maps or custom wads. The only way I know what's supposed to happen is after I get frustrated and look up a walkthrough.

Is there a console command that forces the monster death events to run? Using "puke" and random guessing didn't work. :(
Frozenwolf150

Postby Bofubutt » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:45 pm

nakkemake wrote:Is it possible to make this a not launcher based or can it be started using any other method? The launcher seems to be very buggy (to me) - sometimes it starts doomrpg, but it will not start doomrpg with RLA. 90% of the time it wont even start the doomrpg. I just end up playing normal doom instead.

I never even used the launcher. I could not, for the life of me, ever get it working. What I did was simply extract the folders into my Zdoom folder and add them to the command line parameter in the Run dialog of Windows or Command Prompt.
Bofubutt

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:17 am

By the way, I finally managed to get this mod to run with slaughtermaps. The problem before? I was using the latest dev build of GZDoom, which isn't exactly compatible. It would throw out a string of red error messages upon startup, not enough to keep the game from running, but apparently enough to cause large populated maps to drop to a slideshow. DRLA is meant to run with the last stable build, and it seems DRPG is too. Other things I did to optimize performance were to disable dynamic lights, and disable the fancy gore effects from DRLA.

ETA: I've also been play testing the various events added by DRPG. Some work better than others, some are highly useful, and others are extremely irritating. I'll get the buggy ones out of the way first.

Anomalous Creature (The Hungry) - This event recently occurred in a large slaughtermap, which meant it replaced the hordes of dangerous monsters with those weak little nuisances. Needless to say, this did not justify the change in atmosphere. The problem I found with this though is that there are some newer wads that rely on the player telefragging an actor to end the level. Since this event automatically kills all monsters, this means the actor starts out dead, and the game has no idea what to do. The only way to exit is to use the "changemap" cheat, since you're prevented from teleporting to the UAC Outpost. The other major problem is that this event is highly likely to cause the runaway script crash.

High Radiation Area - I hate this event for two reasons. One, you are prevented from using the level exit until the radiation is cleared. Two, you can't load more than one fuel tank into the generator at a time, and you can't carry more than 5 spare tanks. This means that you have to stand there and babysit the damn generator, instead of exploring the map. Doom is not supposed to be about standing around waiting, it's supposed to be about running around killing demons. This is especially frustrating when the radiation levels are above 100%; I once got this event at 500% and decided it wasn't worth dealing with. I would much rather be able to load all the fuel at once so that I can finish exploring the level while the timer is running.

The Abyss - This event is actually quite fun, as it combines a spooky atmosphere with an epic boss battle. However, it comes with its share of glitches. When the event loads, all other monsters are supposed to be evacuated, however my monster count always shows 0/14. There should only be the one boss, plus whatever arachnotrons it spawns (that are added to the total count as they appear) but I've got 13 extraneous monsters that can't be found and can't be killed. This makes it impossible to 100% complete the level, unless you come back and replay it. I also notice that even after you kill the boss, it still somehow manages to psychically attack you and teleport in monsters. Shouldn't these cease once the boss is dead?

Hell Unleashed - This event runs fine most of the time, and I always do these because they're a good way to get legendary items and farm the boss creatures for modules. The only problem is that even after you complete it, it still shows up in the map description at the Outpost teleporter, and if you re-enter the level, the event doesn't occur again.
Frozenwolf150

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:58 am

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
wildweasel wrote:It's possible one monster may have been stranded outside the map boundaries. Type AM_CHEAT 3 at the console and see if there's anything moving on the map that you can't reach.

I've checked and there are none; I also have the automatic tracking scanner perk thanks to >100 Luck, but it's not showing anything either. The scripts simply aren't working properly. I have never had monster death events work properly, whether in the vanilla maps or custom wads. The only way I know what's supposed to happen is after I get frustrated and look up a walkthrough.

Is there a console command that forces the monster death events to run? Using "puke" and random guessing didn't work. :(

An addendum to this, I found it's definitely caused by DRPG. I ran a map like this using DRLA and DRPG, specifically Map 07 from Slaughterfest 2012, and the monster death event did not activate. Like in the original Doom II map Dead Simple, the walls are supposed to lower the moment all the mancubi are dead. I ran it alone without any other mods, and it worked. I ran it with only DRLA, and it worked. Something in DRPG keeps interfering with monster death event scripts, causing me to get stuck in any map that depends on them.

From what I found, Doom uses something called Tag 666 for these monster death events, and something in DRPG is stopping that from working. I think it's the monster population multiplier and randomizer features. Mods that simply change the monsters to alternate versions, like how DRPG changes all mancubus to magmabus, do not interfere with Tag 666.

ETA: Yholl posted an explanation here, in response to my question:
viewtopic.php?p=936654#p936654

There is another runaway script glitch that seems to occur separately from the others. I've been using the "absolute monster limit" feature under the Game Difficulty menu to limit the monster count to a reasonable number on larger maps. Doom RPG does not run very well on maps with >1,000 monsters, as GZDoom suffers massive framerate loss and turns these maps into a slideshow. Running it with the latest stable build of GZDoom helps somewhat, but there's still only so much that the engine can take, regardless of how good your computer is. For a while, this was working fine, allowing me to run slaughtermaps with DRPG. However, I found that when it came to maps that are supposed to have around 3,000 monsters or more, I get the following error message:
Code: Select allExpand view
runaway script "_reducemonstercount" terminated

What this means is, unfortunately, monsters do not give any XP or drop any items. This is the core feature of DRPG, so it would be pointless to play without it. Entering "pukename _reducemonstercount" to force it to run again does not fix this.

I did find a workaround for this, if anyone else is having the same problem. Before loading the level, go into the Game Difficulty menu and set the monster population slider to 100%, and the absolute monster limit to the max. This will prevent the script from running at all, although this means that you'll get the slowdown. The moment you enter the level, go into the menu again and set the monster limit to 1,000, and then enter "pukename _reducemonstercount" to make the script run now that the map is fully loaded. This should let you play the map normally. (While I've technically been able to run maps with 2,000 monsters, this increases the likelihood that it will lock up. Not GZDoom, I mean my computer itself.)
Frozenwolf150

Postby Frozenwolf150 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 am

Separate bug report, for Subenji's build:

* I had reached level 100, but had an ongoing combo due to a white aura. When the aura expired, my rank "rolled over" into the negatives and I was demoted to Rank 1 Recruit.
* Stims are heavily glitched. In addition to the issues I mentioned before, I've noticed that they're far too overpowered. Powerup stims last 2:30 each instead of 0:30. Not only that, but if you use more than one type of powerup stim, the durations multiply together. I ended up having an Indestructible effect that lasted 6 hours.
* If you have two of the same kind of powerup effect active, like if you use an invulnerability sphere and then an indestructible stim (or the invulnerability skill) both effects will wear off when one of them wears off. However, the timer for the remaining one will not go away, so you're stuck with a useless active effect. Furthermore, if you try to extend the duration of the remaining effect by using the same item again, the additional time will also be useless and prevent you from acquiring that effect.

I do have some good news. I just finished playing through a 32 level megawad on AYABED difficulty and I did not encounter the runaway script glitch once. Something about that difficulty setting is less likely to cause a script overflow. Unfortunately, I did suffer a massive drop in framerate when playing a map with more than 200 monsters, so I had to reduce the count via the RPG menu.
Last edited by Frozenwolf150 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frozenwolf150

Postby BizarreJoJoOfTime » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Hey. New(-ish) to modding. And not too well versed in coding to look through coding and decipher what is what. And I'm hoping someone who checks this subject can tell me the process of adding weapons properly. I can make the weapon function, as in it can shoot and work like it should in the killing aspect... but I'd like to add it to the shop. Hope someone can help!!
BizarreJoJoOfTime

PreviousNext

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects