Newbie mapper's (stupid) questions

Discuss all aspects of editing for ZDoom.
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Newbie mapper's (stupid) questions

Postby CorSair » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:41 am

Currently I have swimmable sector, thanks to line 160. My intentions is to make it look sea via linedef 9 (Line horizon), but I can't seem to apply that swimmable 3D sector with it, thus, making it look stupid when underwater. Is it not possible or if it is, how?
CorSair
Yay fridays

Re: Newbie mapper's (stupid) questions

Postby Minigunner » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:42 pm

That cannot be done. However, if you don't mind the water's surface being opaque, you should use Transfer_Heights.
Minigunner

Discord: Minigunner#5418

Postby CorSair » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:04 am

Rats. I'll figure something eventually.

Now, here's something interesting happening to me:
Why my sloped 3D sectors shoot through ceiling? Even if they are in same height as dummy sector, they are like 1000 units high or low. I even didn't move the dummy sector.
CorSair
Yay fridays

Postby CorSair » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:39 am

Okay... Is it so, that you need dummy sector match the placement of the 3D sloped sector? Or to be precise, the linedef action 160 match the 3D sector size?
If so, I've done truckload of mistakes for looooong time.
CorSair
Yay fridays

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:56 am

CorSair wrote:..... that you need dummy sector match the placement of the 3D sloped sector? .....

precisely that

Spoiler:

Example map
Kappes Buur

Postby Gez » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 am

CorSair wrote:Currently I have swimmable sector, thanks to line 160. My intentions is to make it look sea via linedef 9 (Line horizon), but I can't seem to apply that swimmable 3D sector with it, thus, making it look stupid when underwater. Is it not possible or if it is, how?

You can't make the sector be swimmable up to the horizon, so here's how you can proceed.
Make a series of sectors beyond the border of the accessible area that are progressively more and more opaque. Give them denser and denser fog in the underwater part. Behind the last 3D floor, you can now put a normal sector (no effects) with line_horizon walls.

That way, the result should look natural and, pardon the pun, immersive, while still being technically possible.
Gez

Postby CorSair » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:28 am

Kappes Buur wrote:precisely that

God I feel so stupid. But finally, things start look slightly better on my end, and thanks for clarification.

@Gez
It didn't exactly work out as it should have, but I did manage to stop skybox seen from underwater by using different 3D sector, yet it is seen as continuous sea. So thanks. :)
CorSair
Yay fridays

Return to Editing (Archive)