Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kontra Kommando

Re: Acheron Productions: Aliens-Themed Doom Mods/Sharing Gro

Post by Kontra Kommando »

There's no reason why it can't be accomplished with the assets we have made here. All it would take, is someone to make custom maps with specific spawning rates. Or simply a reduction of the amount of xenos being spawned.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

chronoteeth wrote:
no no, not make them slow, but i mean the pacing. I guess the alien franchise is starting to tilt away from the gung-ho stylings of aliens and resurrection/AVP movies and going back to a slower, more methodical pacing. a horror movie franchise over an action movie franchise. I mean more, I wouldnt mind someone making something more in line with the original alien and the likes of covenant/prometheus: quieter pace with a xeno thats extremely resilient and powerful over the more easy to kill ones from aliens. To be fair that'd mean redoing everything all over again from scratch but, I guess it's more something that'd be nice to see sometime.
It would be more like a re-balance to the enemies and weapons than a new mod from scratch, and with enough dedication it would take only a few days to do that (assuming there are no custom maps). TBH, since Caligari and you said that a slower pacing would be appreciated, it made me start to wonder that we probably have been following the original AvP formula for too long. I believe it set the bar on how Alien themed fps are made, because since then, Isolation is the only exception to the run and gun style of gameplay.
Kontra Kommando

jdredalert wrote:
chronoteeth wrote:
no no, not make them slow, but i mean the pacing. I guess the alien franchise is starting to tilt away from the gung-ho stylings of aliens and resurrection/AVP movies and going back to a slower, more methodical pacing. a horror movie franchise over an action movie franchise. I mean more, I wouldnt mind someone making something more in line with the original alien and the likes of covenant/prometheus: quieter pace with a xeno thats extremely resilient and powerful over the more easy to kill ones from aliens. To be fair that'd mean redoing everything all over again from scratch but, I guess it's more something that'd be nice to see sometime.
It would be more like a re-balance to the enemies and weapons than a new mod from scratch, and with enough dedication it would take only a few days to do that (assuming there are no custom maps). TBH, since Caligari and you said that a slower pacing would be appreciated, it made me start to wonder that we probably have been following the original AvP formula for too long. I believe it set the bar on how Alien themed fps are made, because since then, Isolation is the only exception to the run and gun style of gameplay.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-the-ul ... ns-tc-2017

Aliens (TC) 2017 is an example of a slower paced iteration of the A:UD mod. The only reason why the pk3 is a "run-n-gun", is due to the nature of A:UD generally being a gameplay conversion mod for doom. The battle spawners, and the skirmish spawners are what floods the levels with enemies, which appeared in beta 9.0

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addo ... themed-wad

Here's one I made back in 2014, that supposed to capture the feel of Alien (1979). Maybe I should make an update to this map with the new enemies.

Also,

The survival horror map was a take on the A:UD mod that was supposed to slow down the pace. I didn't need to change the values of the enemies for it, just the spawning rate.
Kontra Kommando

Speaking of Alien Covenant:

Neuromante

Post by Neuromante »

Hello Kontra, I love your Aliens: UD mod. It has a fantastic xenomorph gore system, the kind that makes gunplay feel like you're actually ripping hellish beasts apart. I especially love intermediate states, where mangled aliens crawl your way to bite you in the ankles.

Would you consider releasing xenomorphs separately, kinda like how SGT Mark IV did with brutal doom monsters? I'm dying to play that with Hideous Destructor so me and my buddy can have a sort of alien themed coop space marine simulator. I believe this also ties in with the argument of horror vs action, lower spawn rates and more resilient xenomorphs would go in nicely with what I'm looking for and would, of course, make the gore stand out.
Jojo_195

Post by Jojo_195 »

Neuromante wrote:Hello Kontra, I love your Aliens: UD mod. It has a fantastic xenomorph gore system, the kind that makes gunplay feel like you're actually ripping hellish beasts apart. I especially love intermediate states, where mangled aliens crawl your way to bite you in the ankles.

Would you consider releasing xenomorphs separately, kinda like how SGT Mark IV did with brutal doom monsters? I'm dying to play that with Hideous Destructor so me and my buddy can have a sort of alien themed coop space marine simulator. I believe this also ties in with the argument of horror vs action, lower spawn rates and more resilient xenomorphs would go in nicely with what I'm looking for and would, of course, make the gore stand out.
It seems a lot of people want a slower aliens mod.
I may post my own version of the ATUD 9.2 on the moddb addon page later, after I play around with it some more.
Some of the changes I made to it so you can get a feeling of what it is:

>aliens have actual acid blood now (it's not just for show anymore). Kill them before they get too close or you may get splashed.
>aliens kill you in 1-2 hits without armor, 2-3 with armor, 3-4 with apesuit. Praetorian kills you in 1 without armor, 2 with armor, 2-3 with apesuit.
>0.5 player speed. No more walking at 40000km/h and running circles around the xenos. This used to make them such a joke. It's still possible (albeit a bit more difficult) to run around one of them, dodging it's attacks, but doing it with more than one is not recommended
>health pickups are rarer and heal much less. It didn't make a difference if a xeno just ate through half your HP when you could just pick two or three health items and be at full health again (and they were EVERYWHERE). Now injuries mean something. DON'T GET HIT.
>guns shoot hitscan because projectile was too slow and kept getting stuck in everything (windows, walls, raised floors, corners, clutter, EVERYTHING). I thought it made more sense for a game like Doom with short distance engagements (I also didn't like how the tracers looked and didn't think they fit). Turrets still shoot tracers.
>to counter the above, droids (and marines) were given a bad case of "stormtrooper accuracy" so they won't kill you instantly from 4km away. This gives you room to maneuver and shoot back. The longer the distance the worse their aim (and yours), so you can take a risk and sprint from cover to cover for example, retreat to a safer place, or bait them into following you (baiting them is the most efficient way of killing them).
>new sounds for every weapon, including shooting, reloading, dryfiring and grenade firing for the rifle (minus the VP70 pistol). I used the most true to the original pulse rifle and smartgun sounds I could find
>weapons are more powerful (compared to original mod, not my earlier changes).
>it only takes a burst of about 6-10 bullets to kill normal xenos (drones, warriors, runners), but they like jumping around to avoid fire so you'll end up using more
>new sounds for turret (firing and active sounds)
>a lot of new and replaced sounds for xenos, predators, facehuggers, eggs, praetorians and queens,one or two for marines and droids are not so noisy anymore
>xenos have a bunch of additional death sounds, including the classic elephant scream

There are a lot of other stuff but I'll post that on moddb along with the thing itself.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The slower movement speed will be a map breaker for certain maps. It would be good to add a sprint system that allows you to move at standard speed so as not to make many maps unplayable.
Kontra Kommando

Someone64 wrote:The slower movement speed will be a map breaker for certain maps. It would be good to add a sprint system that allows you to move at standard speed so as not to make many maps unplayable.
Thats why i would prefer people making maps, over anything else.

At any rate,
I'm working on something right now.

It is reminiscent of Aliens: Survival Horror, which i released a beta for a couple years ago. In it were slower moving players, and scares items.

Xenos dont need to be slower... why would they be slow?

The player needs to be slower, which is something i had done in the past. The reason they're fast is to be able for it to be compatible with doom maps that require a certain player speed.
Jojo_195

Post by Jojo_195 »

Agree. One of the first things I did was make the aliens just a little bit faster (by 1 point only). It makes them more dangerous without making them impossible to hit.
Next version I want to change the dynamic light from muzzle flash so it works better, maybe give some special attacks for praetorians (a tail swipe that doesn't have much damage but knocks you back? A charge attack like the pinkies from D4T?) and try to make predator use his cloaking device agressively. How would I go about making his cloaking device turn him actually invisible? Not only to you, but to npcs as well, so it can't be a simple sprite change.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

I must say, the AVP mod has progressed very nicely. Just for fun, I decided to make this bit of art. The Human skull I believe was by blox.

jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Nice job! I always wanted to do something like that to the mod but never had enough free time. Would you mind if we use those someday?
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

No, go ahead and use those. Your mod certainly has covered everything it could possibly change to be a fun AVP project. Details like these would be icing on the cake. By the way, I'm working on Mr.Black sprite sheet. If you are planning to add more predators, I can provide you that.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I'm sure it would be a good addition, i'll love to see those once they are finished!
danlogo

Post by danlogo »

Do you guys have a Discord?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

danlogo wrote:Do you guys have a Discord?
You can find me at ZDoom official server

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”