☼ Hedon 1.5.2 (Now on GOG) ☼

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zan

☼ Hedon 1.5.2 (Now on GOG) ☼

Post by Zan »

Get the up to date Commercial Version 1.5.0 here:

GOG.com

Itch.io

Get the Freeware Version 1.2.0 here:
Download - Itch.io
Download - IndieDB

Youtube Channel
Discord
Twitter

Changelog:
Spoiler:
About
Hedon is an entirely original game designed by me throughout the years, first as a concept/fantasy world, and thanks to the Doom modding community - an actual thing in the works. I'm an artist/architect/jack of all trades who aims to bring out original content, including graphics (which I entirely draw by myself in Photoshop), level design, coding, sound editing, story etc.

The Philosophy
Hedon is a reaction towards certain trends in the gaming industry that mainly focus on being as digestible as possible in their quest for market expansion. I believe that single player games do not compete with each other, and thus should be ultimately regarded as a personal art form instead of a service. My aim is to research classic game design and refresh the valuable bits we've lost in an experience that ultimately rewards the player through learning and investment rather than through mechanically administered gratification.

Story
You play as Zan, a half orc / half demon who wakes up in a collapsed cave with no memory of how she ended up there. The first episode of the game will immerse you in Hedon, an underground world in which a mysterious demonic force has taken interest into (won't spoil much right now).

Gameplay
Although the combat plays like Doom for the most part, Hedon was rather inspired by games like Arx Fatalis, Hexen, Unreal and even Thief, and that will especially show in the level design which is heavily based on exploration and figuring out what to do, as well as atmosphere and lore/story building.

Currently need help with:
➣ Feedback. Always welcome.
Last edited by Zan on Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:48 am, edited 99 times in total.
Redead-ITA

Re: ☼ Hedon(0.1.a) ☼

Post by Redead-ITA »

The Spike gun causes a crash
Zan

Post by Zan »

Redead-ITA wrote:The Spike gun causes a crash
Indeed, that happened to one of my friends. Now, the question is why the hell does it do that...
Is there any way I can view crash logs and troubleshoot this stuff?
I mean the game works flawlessly for me, but people seem to have weird trouble like that with the Spike Gun.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Check version differences between you and others. Perhaps you are on a version which does not crash with that gun's particular setup, then you'll have to find out why. That's about as much advice as I can offer without seeing the gun's DECORATE.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Everything in the download is what I worked with, I tested it myself and works, here's the decorate file:
Spoiler:
I told one of my friends to use GZDoom instead of QZDoom, he managed to get the rifle, but once he picked up another weapon he crashed. One of my other friends has another weird issue: whenever he uses a certain inventory item, another one also disappears...
I'm totally lost? Is it related to OS or something? Perhaps it's because I've included the win 64 version of QZDoom in the download?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I wonder if it has anything to do with the DeselectLoop state? I forget if putting a "Wait" at the end is enough to prevent it from freezing on a zero-duration loop.
Zan

Post by Zan »

wildweasel wrote:I wonder if it has anything to do with the DeselectLoop state? I forget if putting a "Wait" at the end is enough to prevent it from freezing on a zero-duration loop.
As far as I understand, the game crashes the split second you touch the pickup, before you get to deselect it. My buddy told me the music still plays and it's not a CTD.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Really liking this so far, tested with GzDoom and QzDoom and got the Spiker crash with both. Hopefully this can be easily fixed, it probablt has to do with looping in the decorate somewhere that it shouldn't be.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:Really liking this so far, tested with GzDoom and QzDoom and got the Spiker crash with both. Hopefully this can be easily fixed, it probablt has to do with looping in the decorate somewhere that it shouldn't be.
Thank you, will look into it as soon as I get to my computer.
Deii

Post by Deii »

I haven't gotten too far (just killed the first worm), but this is very interesting up until now. Will definitely keep tabs on this one and post again when I went through all of the demo.

Also, Zan looks absolutely fine. In multiple ways.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Im really liking the design of the protag, but there are just a few personal critiques about her. Its a personal thing so ill only say if you ask.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Found the fix.

Select:
WSPI A 0 A_Raise
Goto Ready

It was Wait instead of Goto Ready. I changed it to Goto Ready and now it doesn't crash.

EDIT: That appeared to only partly fix the issue, it happened upon testing it a second time.
Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

The HUD is too big to see over. It's basically filling my screen.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Ed the Bat wrote:The HUD is too big to see over. It's basically filling my screen.
You can adjust the interface scale in the hud options. Default is 4 I believe.

Not only was the Select state for the Spiker causing issues, but so was the Deselect State for the Axe. For Deselect use Loop instead of wait.
Spoiler: Axe Decorate
Spoiler: Spiker Decorate
Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Wed May 17, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

4 is what I'm using. This is what I see:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”