Lost souls blocked by items [96]

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Kirby

Lost souls blocked by items [96]

Post by Kirby »

If you go to E2M8 on skill level 5, the lost souls will not be able to get to you if there is rocket ammo or a soulsphere in the way. Aren't these items normally pass throughable in general? This may be only with the lost souls, as I have not tried with other monsters.

Here is a demo JIC
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wow, that's amazing! I wonder how this hasn't been noticed before. I just tested it with PrBoom and JDoom and both exhibit the same behavior. This strongly suggests it is an original Doom bug that this case was never properly handled. Amazing that some thing stay unnoticed for 11 years...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

/me shuffles around slightly embarrassed

Ummm, I've noticed this on quite a few occasions, and in quite a few situations over the years, but I just figured that's how it was, didn't pay it much mind and never thought to mention it anywhere. :oops:

TimrodDX

Post by TimrodDX »

It's not limited to the souls. I played the same map on Nightmare just now, and the cyberdemon's rockets can't penetrate the ammo boxes either.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Exluding Enjay, I wonder how this was never noticed. I would have thought that to most people the items were passthroughable
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

TimrodDX wrote:It's not limited to the souls. I played the same map on Nightmare just now, and the cyberdemon's rockets can't penetrate the ammo boxes either.

The bug in question is isolated to charging monsters like the Lost Soul, Heretic's imp or the Minotaur.

What you describe is probably just a collision with something you did not expect.
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

He is correct, If it were possible, I'm fairly sure that an imp fireball or similar projectile would not be able to pass through. I find that strange, but inspection of the code of both Doom and ZDoom indicates that charging monsters MUST stop when encountering any object, and since Doom (original) objects were infinitely tall...well lets just say its easy to hit something when your that tall.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

But why does it only happen on NM? Do the same thing on UV and the soul flies right through. Happens with box rocket boxes and soulspheres.
Anakin S.

Post by Anakin S. »

Graf Zahl wrote:
TimrodDX wrote:It's not limited to the souls. I played the same map on Nightmare just now, and the cyberdemon's rockets can't penetrate the ammo boxes either.

The bug in question is isolated to charging monsters like the Lost Soul, Heretic's imp or the Minotaur.

What you describe is probably just a collision with something you did not expect.
Yes. I tried it right now. The rockets fly over the ammo boxes.

There's another bug with lost soul charging. When you shoot at the lost soul in mid flight, it will slide back helplessly until it hits an obstacle or dies. It won't even enter its pain state when you shoot it. If you make a more powerful enemy with the charge attack (it's the only code pointer for charging attacks that we can use in decorate), then you can similarly stop it in mid flight and destroy it quite easily.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, that's also known. But there isn't really much you can do about it due to the way the charging is handled. For a new enemy you might try zo put an A_CPosRefire into the charging loop but I have no idea how many side effects that may cause.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

MartinHowe wrote:But why does it only happen on NM? Do the same thing on UV and the soul flies right through. Happens with box rocket boxes and soulspheres.

It also happens in UV. He just discovered it in NM.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

want to know something else strange? It works fine in psx doom. I wonder if the gba ones work............
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I see a compatibility option in the future....
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

Don't you mean a dysfunction option?
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

That's what most of the compatibility options are. :)

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”