Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 01-27-2017)

Post by ravage »

ActionAlligator wrote:Hey, this looks amazing, but the dropbox seems to be down or deleted; anything you can do? Thanks!
I'm not sure. Dropbox recently changed their policy regarding public folders (ie disabling them) so I'm not sure what to do at the moment.

Edit: The new links should work now.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Hey, I meant to post this earlier, but I just wanted to say how delightful playing your mod was mr. ravage! :) I've always used cheats in doomstyle games for a more relaxing and timely playthrough, so I can't say anything about the gameplay, but the visuals are gorgeous!

Three minor notes however: Map05 (Frigid Fields) and Map16 (Valley of Gold) have fps problems for me; Map10 (Darkwolf Castle) spams my console with texture errors when I load it (no crashes or texture glitches that I could find or anything though); and I found two texture/prop inconsistencies on maps 04 (Night Brigade) and 07 (The Iron Vault). I realize the last point is the most trivial of polish issues, so apologies if it's seen as pointless, but I'm an OCD perfectionist and so couldn't help but post. ;)

Map10 (Darkwolf Castle)

Map04 (Night Brigade) Those black stone textures should be the shiny metal/stone texture like the others (white x on automap gives location)

Map07 (The Iron Vault) Missing plant pot where all the keylocks are

Very much looking forward to the completion of the mod! :D
ravage

Post by ravage »

Thank you for pointing these out. As far as performance issues, I'm afraid there's not a whole lot I can do there. Map05 has snow particles which slow things down, and map16 is almost entirely a huge open map. As far as particles are concerned, you can try going to Options and lowering Hocus particle count down.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Could you replace models with voxels? Or perhaps consider making a Software-friendly version altogether? I'm a little doomed due to fried PCIe Slot and a lazy brother tasked with getting the motherboard for me.
ravage

Post by ravage »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:Could you replace models with voxels? Or perhaps consider making a Software-friendly version altogether? I'm a little doomed due to fried PCIe Slot and a lazy brother tasked with getting the motherboard for me.
Voxels are converted into models at runtime, so it would actually run slower. Software-friendly is not possible due to all the gzdoom features I use (models, 3d sloped floors, and truecolor.) However, with progress on QZdoom and the next version of Gzdoom coming up, who knows what the future brings. But as far as making a version for the last version of zoom, its simply not feasible.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

ravage wrote:
tsukiyomaru0 wrote:Could you replace models with voxels? Or perhaps consider making a Software-friendly version altogether? I'm a little doomed due to fried PCIe Slot and a lazy brother tasked with getting the motherboard for me.
Voxels are converted into models at runtime, so it would actually run slower. Software-friendly is not possible due to all the gzdoom features I use (models, 3d sloped floors, and truecolor.) However, with progress on QZdoom and the next version of Gzdoom coming up, who knows what the future brings. But as far as making a version for the last version of zoom, its simply not feasible.
Voxels doesn't seem to affect that much the performance on my end (yes, used the Voxel_Test). Even Dynamics Light have shown to be more intensive (D64 Fun Maps TestFacility). The only issue I found in VoxelTest were the switches... for some reason, those do not show.

And, after a small test: Software Rendering Voxels are much lighter on the system than OGL Rendering Voxels. Perhaps what could work is: check if the person is using Software or OpenGL rendering and switch on map loading whether it uses the Voxel or the Model. Or a simple optional patch to replace Models with Voxels.

That's of course just me suggesting....
ravage

Post by ravage »

That honestly sounds like far more work than its worth, considering the direction that Zdoom is moving in. Also, I have been working on this project since 2009, why set me back even more? If I have to go back and change everything it won't get done until 2029. :V
(Edit: Its bad enough it might not get done by 2019 at the rate I move :P)

I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't have the time nor the inclination to backport to software mode.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Progress Continues.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Nice to see it is still going. Is there a whole lot left to do?
ravage

Post by ravage »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:Nice to see it is still going. Is there a whole lot left to do?
I'm 2/3 of the way done with episode 3. I haven't really started on E4 yet.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Looking good =D Can't wait!
RichterBelmont12

Post by RichterBelmont12 »

I'm glad this is still been worked on It really looks great just keep up the great work.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Work chugs along.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now with magic dinosaurs to extinct with!
BerserkerTheRaccoon

Post by BerserkerTheRaccoon »

Hi,

I can't find the fourth orb in the map 21.

Could be a bug maybe?

Thanks!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”