Atlas Complex - Waste processing

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Guardsoul

Atlas Complex - Waste processing

Post by Guardsoul »

Hello everyone!

This is a medium map I finished some time ago but due to work and being enslaved by Tormentor667 working with Tormentor667 delayed a huge amount of time the release of this map (and with that I mean like 3 months).

Anyways, Atlas Complex series will be a set of 4 independant maps that will take place in an Earth UAC installations with Waste processing being the first one of them and it´s a self challenge of what I´m able to do with OpenGL features without overcharging player´s computer.

Old teaser video:
Spoiler:
Some old screenies:
Spoiler:
And of course the download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc9359qqh3zyu ... 1.pk3?dl=0

Have fun!
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Atlas Complex - Waste processing

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Looks fnuckin' good as usual, great job GS! :rock:
NexTheReal

Post by NexTheReal »

looks very good, keep up the good work!
Error313

Post by Error313 »

nice ambient and gameplay... reminds me Quake2... The ladder confused me a little ... I thought I had to activate an elevator
Nathan_HyAn

Post by Nathan_HyAn »

Awesome ambient, but... am im allowed to jump or crouch? or did i just cheated? :D
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Nathan_HyAn wrote:Awesome ambient, but... am im allowed to jump or crouch? or did i just cheated? :D
You are allowed and encouraged to crouch and jump, don´t feel bad about that :P
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

I just managed to beat this using Hideous Destructor. It's definitely doable, and I bet people who are better with HD would be able to beat it without saving nearly as much as I did.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Very atmospheric map. Dark and grungy yet somehow believably industrial - like it could exist somewhere in a twisted dark world that stinks of oil, fire, hot metal and electrical burning. There was enough in the way of choices of path and ways of approaching the map to keep things interesting but I never felt hopelessly/frustratingly lost. I like it. :D

I did, however, find that steam and spark sounds to be a bit annoying. They were just too omni-present and loud for me. When the ambience is so loud I can hardly hear my shotgun for large parts of the map, it's too loud IMO.

Oh, and I think I'm right in saying that the secret near the start with the chainsaw can be a trap. If you don't find it at the start, you can access it much later on by dropping in to it via the ducting. However, if you come in from that side without finding it earlier, you get stuck because the door can only be opened from the outside and the jump to get back to where you came from is too high.

There is also an error message that pops up in the console when the file is loaded.

Code: Select all

Script warning, "Atlas_Complex_part_1.pk3:reborn.wad:DECORATE" line 1160:
Truncation of floating point constant 2.250000
This is because line 1160 in the decorate lump uses Random instead of Frandom. This stops the error:

TNT1 A 0 A_SetScale(frandom(2,2.25))

I'm intrigued by the music. The tags in the MP3 seem to say it's "Doomsday" from "Welcome Reality" by Nero but I have that album and I don't recognise the track. What is it?
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Enjay wrote:Very atmospheric map. Dark and grungy yet somehow believably industrial - like it could exist somewhere in a twisted dark world that stinks of oil, fire, hot metal and electrical burning. There was enough in the way of choices of path and ways of approaching the map to keep things interesting but I never felt hopelessly/frustratingly lost. I like it. :D

I did, however, find that steam and spark sounds to be a bit annoying. They were just too omni-present and loud for me. When the ambience is so loud I can hardly hear my shotgun for large parts of the map, it's too loud IMO.

Oh, and I think I'm right in saying that the secret near the start with the chainsaw can be a trap. If you don't find it at the start, you can access it much later on by dropping in to it via the ducting. However, if you come in from that side without finding it earlier, you get stuck because the door can only be opened from the outside and the jump to get back to where you came from is too high.

There is also an error message that pops up in the console when the file is loaded.

Script warning, "Atlas_Complex_part_1.pk3:reborn.wad:DECORATE" line 1160:
Truncation of floating point constant 2.250000
This is because line 1160 in the decorate lump uses Random instead of Frandom. This stops the error:

TNT1 A 0 A_SetScale(frandom(2,2.25))

I'm intrigued by the music. The tags in the MP3 seem to say it's "Doomsday" from "Welcome Reality" by Nero but I have that album and I don't recognise the track. What is it?
Thank you for your review! I was really waiting patiently for it since the release of the map :P.

The music I used has been extracted from the new Doom game and it plays at the Advanced Research Complex:
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I should have also said that I liked the fights. The pacing of them was pretty spot-on for my tastes with a nice mix of bad guys but most of the fights being with lower tier enemies spiced up with the tougher ones. Ammo and health balance was just right for me too.

Thanks for the information about the music. I thought it worked very well with the map's general feel and appearance.
HyperLuke

Post by HyperLuke »

What textures have been used here? Besides Doom 2's textures.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

ZDCMP2 and Skulltag textures.

Return to “Levels”