GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

Post by Chris »

Couldn't say with any certainty. Some clipping may not be very noticeable if you're not listening for it, so it's possible FMod doesn't do anything and it's just not bad enough to be readily apparent. Or possibly FMod implements a limiter differently, in a way that allows the output to be a bit louder than OpenAL while allowing a bit more distortion through. But these are just pure guesses, I'm not familiar with FMod's output.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Remember that quake bug that I posted and it was sound format related? What should I do, wait for the next stable version or convert those .FLAC sounds in the gzdoom.pk3 file to .WAV in the meantime? Because I did that test now and it worked...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The crash has been fixed in the repo so it's just a matter of time before a git build with the fix appears. However, with something that can crash "out of the box" with stock resources I suspect an official bug fix release is likely soon too.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Yeah. In the meantime, I converted those specific files. Thanks audio converters :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Graf, if there's going to be a bug fix release soon, it may not be a bad idea to update OpenAL too. The version you built has a small bug that can cause switching reverbs to still "click". It's not a huge issue, and it is better than it was prior to the update, but there was a fix to get rid of it completely.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Chris, could you please take a look at this?
Graf Zahl wrote:The 64 bit version of OpenAL I compiled myself from the current Git repo. For 32 bit this did not work, because I was unable to build it with the XP toolset so this is still the official one.
macOS Intel release was built with the latest commit at the moment.
I'm not aware of any problems with it although I'm testing 64-bit only.
Most likely Graf made OpenAL DLL at the same commit for 64-bit Windows version but for 32-bit yours 1.17.2 is used.

What toolchain are you using to make binary packages for Windows?
Chris

Post by Chris »

_mental_ wrote:Chris, could you please take a look at this?
Graf Zahl wrote:The 64 bit version of OpenAL I compiled myself from the current Git repo. For 32 bit this did not work, because I was unable to build it with the XP toolset so this is still the official one.
Not sure what the state of XP support is. I know I've occasionally run into some functions that require Vista or newer, but I thought I avoided them or worked around them in some way. I can't think of anything specific that should cause it to fail for XP, what was the problem?
What toolchain are you using to make binary packages for Windows?
I use MinGW-w64 to build the Windows binaries (both the 32-bit and 64-bit builds).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem was that CMake threw an error when trying to generate a project with the XP toolset:

Code: Select all

The C compiler identification is unknown
The CXX compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:5 (PROJECT):
  No CMAKE_C_COMPILER could be found.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:5 (PROJECT):
  No CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER could be found.

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "C:/Programming/Doom-old/openal-soft/build_xp/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "C:/Programming/Doom-old/openal-soft/build_xp/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
Which is weird because ZDoom works.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

silentzora wrote:Oh dang, no more FMOD? That's a bummer. OpenAL doesn't seem to want to behave itself on my end. :(
silentzora wrote:[Sounds] come out a little bit softer than they used to.
Same exact problem I have with OpenAL, not to mention it once caused GZDoom to hang and crash upon starting MAP01 of Doom 2.

RIP FMOD. :cry:

Would it ever be possible to bring FMOD back in the future?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Graf Zahl wrote:The problem was that CMake threw an error when trying to generate a project with the XP toolset:

Which is weird because ZDoom works.
Unfortunately I don't know all that much about the way CMake and MSVC interact. Did you have to do anything particular to make CMake recognize MSVC when you first configured 32-bit ZDoom? The compiler would be cached for subsequent builds, so any manual tweaking would've only needed to be done once, but would need to be done again for a completely fresh build of something.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Nevander wrote:Same exact problem I have with OpenAL, not to mention it once caused GZDoom to hang and crash upon starting MAP01 of Doom 2.
Where is a crash report?
Nevander wrote:Would it ever be possible to bring FMOD back in the future?
No, until somebody will decide to implement external sound system for GZDoom this won't happen.
Graf Zahl wrote:The problem was that CMake threw an error when trying to generate a project with the XP toolset:
That's strange, 32-bit Release was built just fine with v140_xp toolset. I turned off SSE3 and SSE4.1 though.
Last edited by _mental_ on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

_mental_ wrote:Where is a crash report?
All I have is what Windows gave me and it's useless:

Code: Select all

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path:	D:\Games\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	AppHangB1
Application Name:	gzdoom.exe
Application Version:	2.2.0.0
Application Timestamp:	57debaf0
Hang Signature:	6947
Hang Type:	0
OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:	1033
Additional Hang Signature 1:	694763ddacc1ee0ceb9a983edb02bce5
Additional Hang Signature 2:	5aec
Additional Hang Signature 3:	5aec4d08cc4ed1ca2da5e93580342839
Additional Hang Signature 4:	6947
Additional Hang Signature 5:	694763ddacc1ee0ceb9a983edb02bce5
Additional Hang Signature 6:	5aec
Additional Hang Signature 7:	5aec4d08cc4ed1ca2da5e93580342839
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

FModEx is gone. Period. Aside from the license I have genuine issues with using a library that is no longer supported. It also had a bug with Ogg decoding that caused a few mods to break in its most recent versions.

While FModStudio was somewhat operational, it wasn't fully - and with its API still being unstable it's a very unappealing choice. These days I am unable to compile any older ZDoom from before the time that the sound backend was made optional without first hacking the source to manually disable it.

The 'sounds coming out softer' is probably just the lower volume. You have to turn up the volume slider a bit to compensate for that (and like I said earlier, setting the slider to 1 is not what should be done in the first place because it kills all headroom you need for more dynamic sound.)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Nevander wrote:All I have is what Windows gave me and it's useless:
It is possible to investigate such freeze too but it requires additional actions from your side.
Let me know if you are interested to help me with this.

Meanwhile, could you please try 3.0.0?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Graf Zahl wrote:The 'sounds coming out softer' is probably just the lower volume. You have to turn up the volume slider a bit to compensate for that (and like I said earlier, setting the slider to 1 is not what should be done in the first place because it kills all headroom you need for more dynamic sound.)
I am at 100% volume in Windows, full volume on the slider in GZDoom, and full volume on my headphones slider. I even use the Powerful preset in my speaker properties. Everything is max and using OpenAL still ends up being too quiet for my tastes and nowhere near as clear as FMOD is for me now. Unless the version of OpenAL with (now) older GZDoom was defective or had bugs... was there anything wrong with OpenAL included with 2.2.0? It's the same DLL... lol.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”