GZDoom 2.4.0 and QZDoom 1.3.0 released

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Solus

Re: GZDoom 2.4.0 and QZDoom 1.3.0 released

Post by Solus »

Hello!
I was looking for the right place to post my comment and maybe here is the best place.
I just want to thank everybody involved in the development of GZDoom. I've been using it and following it's development for years now and it's so good to see how much the port has grown.
I've been a Doomguy since I was 8 and it's so sweet to be able to play DooM 24 years later. I'm amazed to see such old tech being worked and developed in 2017, with so much dedication and commitment.
I'm no programmer or technician so I can't really "see" the amazing development of GZDoom but I see it on mods and levels that I play. Incredible what is possible to do with mods on GZDoom! I don't even think that John Carmack dreamt of the work that has been done with his id Tech 1.
Anyway, that's all I have to say. I hope you guys keep your work for many more years to come. Hopefully you won't get tired of it or loose time in your life to work on it.
So, big thanks from just another DooM fan!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

For anyone curious, here's the download numbers one month after release.
gzdoom-240-downloads.png
This might help prospective mod makers in what kind of platform and/or renderer interest there is in these builds.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd write off the QZDoom downloads as potential duplicates, but that's 32000 downloads for GZDoom in one month. Finally beating the record Doom Legacy posted in July 2002... :)
It's really too bad that there are no usable statistics for Doomsday and Eternity, that's numbers I'd really like to see...
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

While testing QZDoom 1.3.0 i've noticed that loading Brutal Doom the option to change video renderer dissapears (the OpenGL renderer is forced) and can't be changed from the console either. I guess this is intentional and happens whenever an addon includes a GL specific lump. IMHO i don't think that's a good idea, sure some features will be missing but wouldn't just printing a warning be a better idea? Becouse BD is actually playable in software mode on older machines with poor OpenGL support (i do it for network games).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There is absolutely no code present to change the video renderer unless your system is not OpenGL compatible and that is directly handled by GZDoom code, anyhow.

If the window is being closed preventing the option to switch renderers, it means there's a GAMEINFO lump that's selecting the IWAD for you. You will have to change your renderer beforehand.

Other than that, it sounds like something could be in an autoexec.cfg file that's being loaded somewhere or something. Either way, what you are describing is simply not happening the way you think it is. If vid_renderer is "0" before the video window is initialized, it will start up as software mode no matter what lumps are present, unconditionally an unequivocally. It is literally impossible to start OpenGL mode without vid_renderer being set to 1 in some way before that happens.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I was referring to the ingame 'change rendering output' option. I already had software selected. No autoexec, without BD loaded the option is there. Anyway i'm using ZDL.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

One of the issues with MENUDEF is that when new options are added officially, having support for them in older mods' menus is absent. That's not something QZDoom can do anything about, that I know of. :(

This issue will remain present in GZDoom 3.0 as well.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That shouldn't happen since BD only added it's own options, but that's not the 'problem'. The vid_renderer cvar is already set at 0 but the engine uses opengl anyway (and with some defaults BTW). Of course i used brutalv20b.pk3 + brutalv20c_UP.pk3.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

From the code perspective what you describe is literally impossible - there's something on your end causing this to happen. I don't know what it is, but the option is not being overridden by the program, itself.

The only way the OpenGL subsystem can possibly even be initialized when vid_renderer is 0 is if vid_used3d is false - and even then it only uses OpenGL as a canvas and does not use the polygonal mode GZDoom uses.

Can you do me a favor and go into the console while Brutal Doom is running and type "crashout" and give me the CrashReport.zip that it generates? It should give me some insight into what may be happening.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

drfrag wrote:That shouldn't happen since BD only added it's own options
Up until very recently (GZDoom 2.4.0+), adding options meant replacing the entire options menu -- i.e. copy+paste the existing definitions, then change them. It's very likely that Brutal Doom has replaced the default "OptionsMenu", meaning that QZDoom's "Change Renderer" submenu is no longer accessible.

There's a better method ("AddOptionMenu") that modders can utilize going forward to prevent this sort of thing, but it's an opt-in thing from the mod side due to how the menus work, and not a thing Brutal Doom can utilize yet if it's still opting for Zandronum compatibility.

P.S. Just in case of oops: there is one case you can see OpenGL when vid_renderer is 0: you just changed it but haven't restarted G/QZdoom yet. Changing vid_renderer requires a restart to take effect.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Sorry i was wrong, it was actually the software renderer. I was fooled by those new dynamic lights and i have texture filtering disabled. :oops: Everything is fine.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

FWIW, that made me do a quadruple-take too when I first saw it. Crazy-cool stuff, that. :P

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”