The Reconquest [1.1c] (Now with Arena)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
krokots

The Reconquest [1.1c] (Now with Arena)

Post by krokots »

Doom: The Reconquest is a experimental strategy mod/game/hybrid, where you use Doom and other monsters to fight battles. It is heavily inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic, so you'll see "stack" system in here, and various bits (weekly creature/unit growth, resource system). But there are no castles, instead, you construct buildings on a conquered area. The main objective (right now) is to win a battle in the "Black Castle".

You will find more information how to play this in the game (INFO or the "Book of Help");

1.1 features:
44 unit types (Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Custom)
70 spells
14 main attributes
11 skills
Arena fights

Known bugs/problems include:
- Messages don't fit sometimes in the GUI
- Spelling and language mistakes (english is not my native)
- Dangerous spells that may mess with unit behaviour: Hypnotize - not tested enough, Mirror image - units get stuck
- The function that spawn enemy units will break if it will have to spawn extreme amounts of units (1000 mancubi), and it will spawn units outside maps (extremely unlikely though)

If you encounter any bug please tell me, and possibly make a screenshot what happened.

OK, here are screenies :
Sorry, not available anymore due to tinypic failure.
Sample arena fights
Spoiler:
Video of gameplay with commentary (top notch english included) :
Spoiler:
Old videos :
Spoiler:
Use GZDoom version 2.4.0 (or newer) to play and Doom2 iwad.
Main Download:
The Reconquest 1.1c

Changelog
Spoiler:
Enjoy!
Last edited by krokots on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 23 times in total.
isaacpop23

Re: The Reconquest [Buggy Beta 1]

Post by isaacpop23 »

The fact that you made something like this on the Doom engine that works at all is really impressive. I haven't noticed any bugs other than ones you've mentioned, though I haven't done that much yet. My only issues so far are the menu controls (minor) and how complicated the stats seems. It's probably just a learning curve, but trying to keep track of all the different kinds of magic appears quite daunting.
krokots

Re: The Reconquest [Buggy Beta 1]

Post by krokots »

isaacpop23 wrote:The fact that you made something like this on the Doom engine that works at all is really impressive. I haven't noticed any bugs other than ones you've mentioned, though I haven't done that much yet. My only issues so far are the menu controls (minor) and how complicated the stats seems. It's probably just a learning curve, but trying to keep track of all the different kinds of magic appears quite daunting.
The "Book of Help" have information about attributes, skills etc. But yes, I probably can add another section about some concepts, like "pain" or "nodes".
Your "hero" can have three main stats, which will increase by levels. So you can choose attack, health and accuracy if you don't want to mess with magic. Or wisdom and some magic types, but your units will not become more powerful then (except when you cast buffs on them). You know, it is pretty complicated now when I think of it :wink:. If you want to know anything in particular let me know.
krokots

Re: The Reconquest [1.0]

Post by krokots »

Updated to version 1.0

You can now design your armies, no more complete random. Rest of changes in the changelog. Most of the bugs are gone hopefully, now it is just not balanced. Next update probably I plan to do some serious monster tweaking - balancing, damage changes, etc. Spells I won't touch yet I think.

BTW here is a "bonus" - spell list ;)
Spoiler:
krokots

Re: The Reconquest [1.0b]

Post by krokots »

Updated to version 1.0b
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: The Reconquest [1.0b]

Post by Hellser »

As someone who absolutely loves Heroes of Might and Magic.. I need to download this. Right now.
krokots

Re: The Reconquest [1.1a] (Now with Arena)

Post by krokots »

Thanks, though it is very different from Heroes. It just borrows some mechanics. I'd say it is more similar to some total war game. Or any RTS.
I updated to 1.1, and you can now just watch battles in the arena. If the campaign is too complicated, you can always enjoy gladiator-like battles now. It was created to balance monsters, and actually it was fun just to watch them fight, so I expanded it and it is now a part of the mod.
I included some example fights videos.
Also I did a new gameplay video with commentary, I tried to explain mechanics, but...well, I just forgot to explain some things.

Arena :
Spoiler:
Video :
morphles

Post by morphles »

As previous poster said this is very impressive. And as I said on youtube, this is crazy, the good kind of crazy :). Haven't had the time to play it, but hopefully will try it some time in future. Watched the videos though :).

Doom engine and sprites give very sweet retro look. Total doom war.
krokots

Post by krokots »

TY and cool you watched that through. I know Doom is not the best enviroment for this kind of game, but I always thought doom monsters could be used as an army. Their AI is basic but it still works enough to be fun. Feedback is appreciated, because it is hard to balance things out only by myself :wink:
BFG

Post by BFG »

as a huge Heroes of Might & Magic II fan I really dig this! :wub:
krokots

Post by krokots »

Cool!

I updated to 1.1b. Added two new monsters. I'll be adding new monsters now, and there will be many over time.

Feel free to test them in the arena!
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

Does it also offer an arena with 2 impassable monster lines so that they're forced to use just range attacks?

Easy usage of own monsters in this battle possible?

edit: Oh I see the mod is more complex than first thought. I found a youtube video of this before this thread. ^^ It was with a Baron of Hell and the first what I noticed was the obvious lack of range attacks, because of the doom AI fighting always as close range as possible.
So for a proper fight we need to test both. Not just close range. A baron fireball fight will change a lot compared to a baron close attack punch fight. :)
krokots

Post by krokots »

Yes there are 3 arena types, square, rectangle arena (so monsters have a longer time to reach each other) and ranged arena with a pit between so they can't go into melee (unless they can fly)
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

ah ok. awesome :)
Jonlissla

Re: The Reconquest [1.1c] (Now with Arena)

Post by Jonlissla »

Have to admit this satisfied a itch I didn't know I had. I had a absolute blast playing through the mod, despite some balancing hitches. If you lose your army early for example, you will almost certainly never be able to recover because of how quick the enemy growth is.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”