Force/Restrict Enhanced Night Vision?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Force/Restrict Enhanced Night Vision?

Post by Ed the Bat »

The green tint/inverted sprite color effect of the Enhanced NightVision option in GZDoom (or in the case of Heretic's torch, the yellow tint/flicker) looks terribly out of place on some custom LightAmp powers. Still, I can see Enhanced NV having a use. Would it be possible to allow this feature to be controlled mod-side? I'm envisioning a Powerup.Mode setting for powers that inherit from LightAmp, which would offer different options for the powerup:
  • Always force Enhanced NightVision for this power
  • Never use Enhanced NightVision for this power
  • Default: Honor the user preference of Enhanced NightVision
Can this be done? I have several custom powers that pretty much NEED Enhanced NV off, a few that would look better with it on, and as always, I feel 'vanilla' powerups should be user-configurable.

Lastly, I know this will only have any visible effect in GZDoom, but I figure it would naturally have to be recognized by ZDoom so as not to cause a crash if it's used.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Force/Restrict Enhanced Night Vision?

Post by Graf Zahl »

The effect could easily be added to the software renderer but it's something Randy should do.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I would certainly consider that an added bonus! :)
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I see this has been closed. Is there any other way I might be able to approach my issue?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not now. Once QZDoom gets merged back and this feature implemented for the software renderer there may be hope for a better solution, but right now any attempt to handle this might just get into the way.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Understood. Thanks, all the same.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I understand that things are very busy in the run up to the 3.0 release but, if this is an easy addition, would it be possible for it to be added for that release? Ed and I are working on a bug-fixed version of my Burghead mod that we'd like to get out for version 3.0 and it would be nice to have this feature as part of it.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I believe Burghead was my primary motivation for originally making this request three years ago. It's the one instance I can think of where Enhanced NV is really a big point.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

With regards to doing it on the software renderer:

Possible, but dear god it's going to be messy. Personally I don't want to touch it. If Graf or dpJudas want to do it, that's fine by me, but if neither of them want to do it I won't blame them.

The biggest hurdle will be having to create even more dynamic colormaps for this - or possibly even hacking the fullscreen colormap code to work a bit differently (and also to invert certain sprites). Either way - in its current form the software renderer is too static to allow this to happen as gracefully as we might like. The existing light code was built for very specific scenarios and adding new ones will be a bit of a challenge.

If this gets done it might be safer to just chalk it up as yet another GL-only feature.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I can certainly imagine. If this effect had to remain GL-only, I would hold no hard feelings over it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It really shouldn't be that hard to include the nightvision effect in the software renderer.
In 8 bit draw everything normally, except monsters and items which use the inverse colormap like a translation. And then use a special greenish palette to render it to the screen.

For True Color mostly the same will apply, the greenish tint should be done as a postprocessing effect when copying the rendered frame to the hardware.
But this is definitely for dpJudas because he knows the code better.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”