Poharex: The Second Invasion [Beta 2.4]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Poharex: The Second Invasion (Testers+Mappers Wanted)

Post by ramon.dexter »

P.Rex wrote:
ramon.dexter wrote:"Thumos"?

Is it only me, or do others see that it is inspired by "thu'm"....? :)
More likely to be the other way around. Are you familiar with the works of Plato?
No, not at all. But after quick looking at wiki, yeah, thu'um is definitely inspired byt this thumos concept.
TheZombie

Post by TheZombie »

This is kick ass. Only thing I would try to improve on would be the weapon firing sounds. they need to feel "impactful" they, to me, were too quiet, im not sure how to go about changing that, but i think the weapons would feel more powerful to the player if the sound had more "thump"

Also if you still need mappers, email me, SymposiumOfFilth@gmail.com, I'd love to contribute one to this project.
You can see some of my work here
http://www.moddb.com/members/the-zombie/addons
Check out Hafmans Lair, if you check out Planet Cryptox, use 1-3 as its the final build im doing of that map.
P.Rex
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by P.Rex »

Gyro wrote:As El_Sombrerero has already stated, the melee attack should really have an animation to it. Perhaps some clawing attack? Just standing there and doing nothing animation-wise feels really weak and bland. In fact, are you sure you want your primary attack to be a chainsaw replacer? If melee is going to have a big part in this mod, perhaps it should be more of a fist replacer? Then your attacks would need to have more tactical thought put into them, since there'd be an element of timing.
Thank you for this thorough and thoughtful review, Gyro.
Several people suggested a claw swipe animation for the melee attack, though it was never intended to be a claw attack- it's a bite attack. The confusion is understandable; the only other first-person dinosaur game I can think of is Carnivores Cityscape, where all playable dinosaurs have claw attacks, even for dinosaurs with very short arms (e.g. Nanotyrannus, Coelophysis) where claw instead of bite as the primary attack doesn't really make any sense. That's kind of what I was trying to avoid here. Do you have any suggestions for making it more obvious that the melee attack is biting? Barring going third-person, that is. ;)
At any rate, the melee attack won't be your primary mode of offense throughout the campaign. You start with it but most of the time you rely on ranged attacks.
I'm really glad that the Thumos of Justice (the pistol equivalent) is still good. I really appreciate when the starting weapon / weakest gun / etc is still actually relevant throughout a game.
I feel the same way regarding pistols, etc. They shouldn't become entirely useless once you find more advanced weapons.
The poison moths who drop poison clouds are painful -- they're actually the most dangerous monster in the mod so far. Perhaps tone down how much damage the poison does? If this is the intent and I just suck, apologies.
Ha! Wait till you find the Star-Terrors. :P
The poison cloud is unchanged from the default one you'd find in Hexen. I'll see about changing how much damage it does.
The suicider (I forget the name) that replaces the arachnotron is very cool, but also surprised the hell out of me the first few times. Perhaps it should have a tell, like a loud scream when it gets within a certain radius of you to teach the player that something dangerous is on the way.
Not a bad idea. While it does make a long, continuous sound indicating it's active, perhaps there could be a louder or different sound when it gets closer. I'll try that.
TheZombie wrote:This is kick ass. Only thing I would try to improve on would be the weapon firing sounds. they need to feel "impactful" they, to me, were too quiet, im not sure how to go about changing that, but i think the weapons would feel more powerful to the player if the sound had more "thump"

I can see where you're coming from. Some sounds might change later on (many of them are placeholders anyway), we'll see how it goes.
Also if you still need mappers, email me, SymposiumOfFilth@gmail.com, I'd love to contribute one to this project.
You can see some of my work here
http://www.moddb.com/members/the-zombie/addons
Check out Hafmans Lair, if you check out Planet Cryptox, use 1-3 as its the final build im doing of that map.
Yes, definitely! The more, the merrier.
I've just played both your maps and they're awesome with a capital A! Expect an email soon. EDIT: Sent.
P.Rex

Post by P.Rex »

Some progress screenshots of the first map. Let me know if there's anything you think needs work so far, or any particular element you like or dislike.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Sorry, replaced the screenshots with smaller ones.
Last edited by P.Rex on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Poharex: The Second Invasion (WIP, Mappers Wanted)

Post by wildweasel »

Hello, friendly neighborhood admin here: Spoiler tags don't prevent images from loading and in fact make large images more difficult to view in smaller browser windows or mobile devices. Could I perhaps trouble you to shrink your screenshots? I find that below 640 pixels wide is usually just fine.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Rachael has installed a really nice mod on the DRD forum. It doesn't prevent large images being loaded but it auto-thumbnails them to a suitable size. However, when you click on them it opens up an nice slideshow-like viewing window that scales them to a nice size for the monitor being used and also has controls like next/previous image.

I wonder if the same mod could have a place on these forums?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well, the image problem is twofold:

- Large images are difficult to view on smaller windows/screens.
- Large images take up a lot of bandwidth.

The former problem can be solved with an auto-thumbnail mod, but there are two ways to do that, and each has a disadvantage:

- Just rely on the browser to autoscale the image to the width of a post. This is quicker and won't impact page load times as much, but doesn't actually save any bandwidth, and relying on the browser scaling can tend to make things look very ugly, since each browser handles it differently.

- Have the forum server generate a thumbnail automatically. This prevents the client from having to use a lot of bandwidth, making it ideal for users who have download limits, but these thumbnails have to be generated by either the forum server or a third-party service like Imgur. The former case will take up disk space on the server (something that is already a small problem here, with our various very large topics and forum attachments), the latter case is beholden to the whims of said third-party service (so if they're down, that functionality is lost to the forum and things break). And in both cases, it lengthens the time spent waiting for the images to load compared to just downloading them directly to the client.
Raziel236

Re: Poharex: The Second Invasion (Additional Mappers Wanted)

Post by Raziel236 »

You could have a passing graphic for teeth showing up when melee attacks, a la house of the dead.
P.Rex

Re: Poharex: The Second Invasion (Additional Mappers Wanted)

Post by P.Rex »

Raziel236 wrote:You could have a passing graphic for teeth showing up when melee attacks, a la house of the dead.
I am not familiar with that game. Could you provide a screenshot to show me what you mean?
P.Rex

Re: Poharex: The Second Invasion [Beta 1 released!]

Post by P.Rex »

Hey guys, just letting you know the mod's development has entered Beta stage. The first Beta release includes two maps. The maps are fairly sizeable and put an emphasis on exploration and just a little bit of Hexen-style puzzle solving, as well as combat. Please let me know what you think about the maps! They're my first ever and I want to know what works and what needs to be improved.

Download Beta 1 (12.25.2017)

goldenmob72

Post by goldenmob72 »

Awsm, I really love the Monsters
Can you make a Monster Pack in the future for em ?
P.Rex

Post by P.Rex »

goldenmob72 wrote:Awsm, I really love the Monsters
Can you make a Monster Pack in the future for em ?
I'm glad you enjoyed! Coincidentally I'm working on additional monsters right now...

Haven't updated this thread in a while so I'm just putting it here that I've made significant progress with the new campaign, and there's a new playable Beta version available so you can try the new hub.

Download here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/poharex-the- ... si-beta-24

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”