Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nevander

Re: [v1.0] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

Yea replacing the Berserk with a Medikit might have been a bit harsh in general, so Berserk will be left alone now. Also making some other tweaks to the difficulty to make it more fair.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Personally, I do not mind Berserk packs being removed in that mode, as it forces the player to make better use of their arsenal as well as the Chainsaw. The only problem I have with the change is that it breaks scripted ambushes that are required in order to progress through the level.

This reminds me of the time I increased health, armour and ammo capacity to 999 in Doom 3 because I did not like missing out on extra monster spawns.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

On Burnt Offerings, are the Gargoyle perches in the center pillar in the outdoor area supposed to be secrets? They seems mistakenly marked.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

isaacpop23 wrote:On Burnt Offerings, are the Gargoyle perches in the center pillar in the outdoor area supposed to be secrets? They seems mistakenly marked.
Shoot the back wall behind the one visible from the windows near the yellow door. They will then spawn a Soulsphere and lower. It's just like that in the original game. They are all the same sector, so it counts for all 3 perches.
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

That'd do it, I just saw it as a decor perch, silly me.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I've noticed that I get TERRIBLE audio clipping with the music in Eye of the Storm. No matter if I use Fluidsynth or Timidity, at some points it clips so badly it muffles all sound being played. Doom64EX had the same exact problem, which makes sense since this is also using the same soundfont.

Setting the Fluidsynth gain to 0.5 fixes it, though, but of course this makes music too quiet for me. I'm going to try the OGG pack instead.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

MarisaKirisame wrote:I've noticed that I get TERRIBLE audio clipping with the music in Eye of the Storm. No matter if I use Fluidsynth or Timidity, at some points it clips so badly it muffles all sound being played. Doom64EX had the same exact problem, which makes sense since this is also using the same soundfont.

Setting the Fluidsynth gain to 0.5 fixes it, though, but of course this makes music too quiet for me. I'm going to try the OGG pack instead.
Yep. I had asked for somebody to check out a couple MIDIs and try to fix them but never heard back. I think the problem actually lies within FluidSynth and Timidity themselves. The MIDIs and soundfont are probably actually fine. I always use gain of 0.5 and the issues are minimal, but for some they may prefer to use the OGG pack. The OGG pack is nice but the sound quality is nowhere near as clear to my ear, which is why I even still prefer the MIDIs.
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

Nice to see this out and about. :)

Nevander, are you fine with me using your coding in some of my remakes? I'll be sure to credit you for it if it ever finds it's way on here.

And also, how large are the sprites in Doom 64 as opposed to classic Doom? Like percentages and such?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Mav3r1ck wrote:Nevander, are you fine with me using your coding in some of my remakes? I'll be sure to credit you for it if it ever finds it's way on here.

And also, how large are the sprites in Doom 64 as opposed to classic Doom? Like percentages and such?
Yea use any source code or snippets you want, just credit original code from me of course if it's word for word.

For the sprites, I'm not sure. I'd start with about a 20% size increase per sprite to fit Doom 64's map sizes and scale.
Mav3r1ck

Post by Mav3r1ck »

Thx! :)

And I figured the sprites were around that size. I have them set at 25 percent right now.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Version 1.1 of the mod is now available.

Download here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retri ... version-11

Changelog:
Spoiler:
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [v1.1] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Awesome!

However, why did you increase the ammofactor? Now I get 12 shells from a single shotgun and 30 bullets from a tiny clip! :shock:

What is the point of removing large ammo items by smaller ones if they end up giving more ammo? So far, Doomslayer! feels actually much easier than it used to be.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

There are places later on where ammo was really tight even at the old ammofactor. It's not about how much ammo you get from what, it's about being different.

It should feel easier because it is, but don't forget the damagefactor is the same and you get less health still. It's possible for a former Sergeant to drop you in two shots without armor.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Nevander wrote:There are places later on where ammo was really tight even at the old ammofactor. It's not about how much ammo you get from what, it's about being different.

It should feel easier because it is, but don't forget the damagefactor is the same and you get less health still. It's possible for a former Sergeant to drop you in two shots without armor.
Then the ammo factor is necessary. Even with all the ammo, a dead Doomguy is not worthy...
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Personally, I would prefer to have more ammo placed in places where it used to be really tight than to have the ammofactor increased across the board.

It is annoying to be wasting so much ammo whenever I am nearly at maximum capacity - which for the first half of the game, is basically all the time.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”