Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiFi270

Re: Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Post by SiFi270 »

I'm not suggesting to replace the chaingun spawn. I'm suggesting to replace the SSG spawn so that instead of the machine gun occupying slots 2 and 3, it's the chaingun in 3 and 4.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Not the impression you gave on the previous page. I see.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:I would want the chaingun. But if I had cover, I would gladly make do with the MG.

But what you're suggesting to replace the chaingun spawn is way too weak, for what that slot's supposed to be. The chaingun spawn slot is up a bit in rarity from the shotgun, theoretically. So giving it the exact same reward is a downgrade.
The Chaingun slot is a downgrade from the Super Shotgun, as far as Doom's concerned, actually.

What SiFi is suggesting is that the Slot III, since it's placement in Doom as a weapon is usually MORE powerful than Slot IV, that BJ's Slot III, rather than giving a Machine Gun, instead gives the (MUCH) stronger Chaingun, because BJ's chaingun is basically his SSG-weapon.
Silentdarkness12

And if you're playing in Doom 1, then you can kiss the workhorse Chaingun goodbye.

GOOD IDEA. : P

Frankly, I feel like the SSG slot should just be a large ammo 1 box. Instead of another MG. Or the Chaingun.

It is worth noting that it's impossible to prepare for every eventuality with a mod.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Geez. No one said the chaingun shouldn't give a chaingun to BJ... The way it works now is Bj gets a MG when finding either shotgun or SSG.

Edit: TRIPLE COMBO!
Last edited by DoomRater on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:And if you're playing in Doom 1, then you can kiss the workhorse Chaingun goodbye.

No, because it'd still appear in place of Doom's own chaingun. And even if it didn't (because apparently my point isn't getting across at all) it'd still appear in place of the computer area maps because that's what Samsara already does. Otherwise, Corvus would go through Doom 1 with a firemace and no crossbow, and then he'd barely be Corvus at all.
Silentdarkness12 wrote: Frankly, I feel like the SSG slot should just be a large ammo 1 box. Instead of another MG. Or the Chaingun.
That'd be even worse, because at least with the machine gun you'd still have something more than a pistol to help you against tough monsters. If it was just bullets then your only consolation would be that you wouldn't run out of ammo as fast, but depending on the monster you'd probably die before you get to that point anyway.
Silentdarkness12 wrote: It is worth noting that it's impossible to prepare for every eventuality with a mod.
Yes, but "you come up against a tough monster and you're expected to use that SSG you were given to take it down because the regular shotgun isn't suited for the job" really isn't that rare an eventuality. I'd even go so far as to say that in any wad that knows what it's doing, that's pretty much the whole reason you're given a super shotgun.

On another subject, I've just discovered that in the current build of GZDoom, pressing altfire to equip a second pistol or shotgun as the Marathon Man causes it to disappear once it's finished rising into view.
Untitled
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:And if you're playing in Doom 1, then you can kiss the workhorse Chaingun goodbye.

Frankly, I feel like the SSG slot should just be a large ammo 1 box. Instead of another MG. Or the Chaingun.

It is worth noting that it's impossible to prepare for every eventuality with a mod.
Okay, you appear to be misunderstanding the argument.

You seem to be under the impression that he wants to swap the Slots 3 and 4 - it's not that, it's making it so Slot 3 AND 4 are both the chaingun, instead of Slot 2 and 3 being machine gun.

Or, put explicitly:
Current Weapon Layout:
2 - Machine Gun
3 - Machine Gun
4 - Chaingun
New Weapon Layout:
2 - Machine Gun
3 - Chaingun
4 - Chaingun
Silentdarkness12

Ok, I get it now. That's a bit better. Yeah, that seems alright.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Am I the only one who is getting this bug? When I play as the Security Officer and I want to dual-wield shotguns, the left one will briefly raise and then immediately vanish afterwards.

I am not sure if GZDoom 2.4 is causing this or something else, but this is really frustrating.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Does anyone know where I can download earlier GZDoom versions? It seems 2.4 is causing the bug with the Security Officer's dual-wielding ability, and I want to go back to 2.3.2.
Silentdarkness12

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Does anyone know where I can download earlier GZDoom versions? It seems 2.4 is causing the bug with the Security Officer's dual-wielding ability, and I want to go back to 2.3.2.
1. Probably shouldn't ask here.

2. Go to the GZDoom website for a download. Click on the Archive link, then click Bin. Older versions can be found there.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Thanks. And yep, 2.4 is what is causing my problem.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Urggh... I've never done Synthfire nonsense, so I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong here.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

_mental_ has committed a fix for this issue to GZDoom, so it should work again in a devbuild or two. Give him your love!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool! I wonder if there are also plans to address the missing Flem keys issue in Chex Quest 3.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”