Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Silentdarkness12

Re: Samsara - 0.3666 - World Tour

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

That's not limited, just simplistic, really. There's no accuracy dropoff on his weapons iirc.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's plenty of reasons to not like Wolf3D. For me, it's the map design that infuriates me so.

Also, it's worth noting that the flamethrower and rocketlauncher are from the Mac version of Wolf3d, if I understand correctly. Only the Spear of Destiny is fully custom.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:That's not limited, just simplistic, really. There's no accuracy dropoff on his weapons iirc.
It is limited in the sense that there is just no reason to use the Pistol or the Machine Gun once you get the Chaingun.
Silentdarkness12 wrote:Also, it's worth noting that the flamethrower and rocket launcher are from the Mac version of Wolf3d, if I understand correctly. Only the Spear of Destiny is fully custom.
Yes, I am aware of this. It is a shame because on paper, Wolfenstein 3d really sounds fun, but the game just has not aged well - unlike Doom.

I get why BJ would be included in Samsara roster and I do not object to his presence, but as with Corvus and Parias, I just do not care about him.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

While the machine gun's benefit is kinda lame (it doesn't obstruct your view as much), the pistol has infinite ammo so there's always a reason you might need to fall back to it.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Unless you turn on the option to make the weapon in slot 1 uses ammunition - which I do, as most compatible mapsets tend to be very generous in terms of ammo pickups already. Besides, since BJ has no weapon in slot 3, you get even more slot 1 ammo from shotguns and shells anyway.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

That makes me wonder: what ammo would the mages dart staff use in the hands of Parias?
ElectricDragon

Post by ElectricDragon »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Silentdarkness12 wrote:That's not limited, just simplistic, really. There's no accuracy dropoff on his weapons iirc.
It is limited in the sense that there is just no reason to use the Pistol or the Machine Gun once you get the Chaingun.

I get why BJ would be included in Samsara roster and I do not object to his presence, but as with Corvus and Parias, I just do not care about him.
The Machine gun has fairly decent DPS and doesn't eat through your ammo like it's candy. I usually save the Chaingun for Pinkies and minibosses.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Maybe, but they are both automatic weapons, so it is like choosing between a machine gun and another machine gun. I had the same issue with Quake's Nailguns.

And again, in most compatible mapsets out there, ammo tends to be plentiful anyway, so I just do not see why I should bother with the Machine Gun.

I suppose this could be addressed by making the Chaingun crazy inaccurate, but that may take away BJ's uniqueness.

Also, another thing I dislike about BJ is his Heroes Don't Quit passive trait: personally, I would have tried making health and armour bonuses work like Wolf3d's treasures (read: extra points) and disabling armour for the character altogether. Not sure if it could be done or even be balanced at all, but at least, it would have a much more significant gameplay impact and it would not depend on something as random as decorations.
Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silentdarkness12

Yes, that would ruin BJ's uniqueness. Is being able to chaingun snipe.

The MG is more ammo-efficient though. Save the chaingun for the big nasty encounters, and use MG for all else.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Speaking of which, I was lately wondering if his chaingun should replace the SSG instead of the machine gun. Because when a wad gives you a Super Shotgun, it's often saying "now you can handle big deal monsters like mancubi, barons, and arch-viles. I think I'll throw some at you now" and the machine gun doesn't really hold up in that kind of scenario.
Silentdarkness12

What would be chaingun tho?

Just a crapload of Slot 1 ammo?
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

No, it would occupy two slots like the machine gun currently does.
Untitled
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

It's worth nothing that in the majority of characters, the Slot 4 weapons outclasses the Slot 3 in utility function.
Hell, in a bunch of cases, the SSG replacement uses rocket/cell ammo.
Silentdarkness12

That seems like a straight downgrade, sifi.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Imagine you're playing a wad that, without mods, has yet to give you a chaingun but is currently presenting you with a super shotgun. When you collect it, an Arch-Vile appears that you have to deal with as quickly as possible. If you were playing through this wad as Blazkowicz, would you rather have a machine gun or a chaingun in this scenario?
Silentdarkness12

I would want the chaingun. But if I had cover, I would gladly make do with the MG.

But what you're suggesting to replace the chaingun spawn is way too weak, for what that slot's supposed to be. The chaingun spawn slot is up a bit in rarity from the shotgun, theoretically. So giving it the exact same reward is a downgrade.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”