[WIP]Delta Force: Doom Warrior

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[WIP]Delta Force: Doom Warrior

Post by 22alpha22 »

Delta Force: Doom Warrior(Replace with fancy title logo)

About
Delta Force: Doom Warrior is a gameplay mod that aims bring more realistic weapons and equipment to doom in tactically fun way.

Planned Features:
-Over 40 real weapons and equipment with functioning scopes, laser sights, under-barrel grenade launchers and shotguns, selective fire modes, and more...
-Weapon size and weight affects movement agility, movement speed affects weapon accuracy
-Custom system allows for both crouching and going prone, hunker down to improve accuracy and improve recoil control
-Custom home base map between normal maps where you can restock on health and ammo as well as purchase new weapons and equipment or buy upgrades for your existing arsenal before heading out on your next sortie
-All ammo, health, and armor pickups have been removed from all normal maps, you will need to stock up well when your home, and plan your engagements carefully to make sure you don't run out of ammo in the middle of a heated battle
-Utilize all kinds of weapons from sidearms, submachineguns, and assault rifles, to grenades, mines, and man-portable rocket launchers
-No set classes, mix and match your weapons and equipment to be the kind of soldier you want to be
-Defeat the minions of hell and scour the maps where normal pickups once were to get coins and shekels, currencies used to purchase new gear and upgrades
-Kill all monsters, find all the secrets, gather all the items to get extra rewards for completing a level
-Monster randomizer that spawns harder and meaner beasts and as you make progress through the game
-Compatibility with all vanilla doom IWADS, and custom vanilla megawads that follow conventional doom map progression
-Designed for solo play or cooperative with up to four players

Screenshots
Click image for larger size
Spoiler:
Progress
Current Weapon List:
Spoiler:
Completed Features:
Spoiler:
Features Still To Do:
Spoiler:
Credits
Spoiler:
Stand-alone weapon Replacement Mod
Due to how much time it is taking to finish Delta Force: Doom Warrior, I'm releasing a stripped down weapon replacement mod to give you guys a feel for the weapons and some basic gameplay elements. The stand-alone weapon replacement mod only replaces weapons and ammo, so it should be compatible with just about any other mod that doesn't add new weapons. The main goal of this is to provide you guys some content that I can get some feedback and constructive criticism from while I continue development of the full featured Delta Force: Doom Warrior gameplay mod.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b2wasn9j4k24 ... 0.zip?dl=0 (Note: Only 16:9 aspect ratio is supported at the moment, 4:3 and 16:10 may come in the future as separate versions depending on demand)
Last edited by 22alpha22 on Sat May 27, 2017 2:34 am, edited 11 times in total.
unRyker

Re: [WIP]Delta Force: Doom Warrior

Post by unRyker »

I'm looking forward to playing this when it releases! Is the scoped-view really simultaneous with the regular gameplay? It may take me some time getting used to especially with sniper rifles but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Guppy unRyker wrote:I'm looking forward to playing this when it releases! Is the scoped-view really simultaneous with the regular gameplay? It may take me some time getting used to especially with sniper rifles but it'll be interesting nonetheless.
The scope is indeed updated in real-time. Its just a camera texture rendered to the HUD rather than a wall, I've seen some other mod some time a ago that used a similar technique that inspired me on how to do this. I should have complete mod info and a feature test demo coming out later today.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hope this is not April's fools. anyway, Delta Force is a cool game, i remember playing Urban Warfare on PSX. Lot more harder than Rainbow Six.

I'm anxious for it.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

The OP has been updated with info about the mod and a link to a test demo has been posted.
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Damn the recreation of the weapons is great. Looks just like DF:TFD!

Looking patiently forward to it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I was actually thinking about this the other day while watching some Delta Force gameplay. Great idea to move the assets over, especially since they're already sprites. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

22alpha22 wrote:Due to how much time it is taking to finish Delta Force: Doom Warrior, I'm releasing a stripped down weapon replacement mod to give you guys a feel for the weapons and some basic gameplay elements. The stand-alone weapon replacement mod only replaces weapons and ammo, so it should be compatible with just about any other mod that doesn't add new weapons. The main goal of this is to provide you guys some content that I can get some feedback and constructive criticism from while I continue development of the full featured Delta Force: Doom Warrior gameplay mod.
The download link can be found at the bottom of the op.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hopefully you'll be able to keep working steadily on this, it's a cool concept for a mod.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Definitely a refreshingly vanilla-compatible break from the abject insanity of that other mod that uses ACS cameratexture scopes. :P

A couple things that kinda stick out for me:
1. The guns look like the player is holding them like this - way out there like you're about to take a swing at the zombies instead of shooting them. I suppose that's part of the resources you're working with, and their position does balance out the scope view nicely, though looking at the gun as I fire does make my right wrist feel funny.

2. Crouch and prone stack on top of (the much lower) regular ZDoom crouch. I suppose prior to PlayerThink() being opened post-3.0.1 that can't be helped, though now that it is available it might be worth taking a look.

(Also to consider: instead of the ACS pukes, grabbing the player's crouch input directly, and possibly using double-tap crouch to go to and from prone instead of binding a new key.)

3. The guns are really, really inaccurate :( I'm prone, immobile and zoomed in on the AUG and it still doesn't seem like my shots are reliably going where the little red dot is - they're generally within the view of the scope, but... well...
Basically anything I can reliably shoot I wouldn't need the scope to see.

(I do like that the shot clearly happens before the recoil though so this screenshot is even possible)

I am enjoying the 80s military movie vibe of this.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Vaecrius wrote:Definitely a refreshingly vanilla-compatible break from the abject insanity of that other mod that uses ACS cameratexture scopes. :P

A couple things that kinda stick out for me:
1. The guns look like the player is holding them like this - way out there like you're about to take a swing at the zombies instead of shooting them. I suppose that's part of the resources you're working with, and their position does balance out the scope view nicely, though looking at the gun as I fire does make my right wrist feel funny.

Unfortunately the way Novalogic designed the weapon sprites, if I move them closer to center in a more natural firing position, you will clearly be able to see they are cutoff on the right. They were designed to be placed on the right edge of the screen back when most monitors were CRT and had a 4:3 aspect ratio which looked much better than they do now in 16:9. If I decided to make a version of this mod for ultra-widescreen aspect ratios, they will look even worse.

2. Crouch and prone stack on top of (the much lower) regular ZDoom crouch. I suppose prior to PlayerThink() being opened post-3.0.1 that can't be helped, though now that it is available it might be worth taking a look.

I was looking for a way to disable (G)ZDoom's standard crouching through ACS because I thought I vaguely remembered doing it in some other mod but I didn't mange to find anything. As for ZScript, I still know next to nothing about it, I only fiddled around with it enough to make one function I needed, which really was just copied from an existing function and edited to suit my needs.

(Also to consider: instead of the ACS pukes, grabbing the player's crouch input directly, and possibly using double-tap crouch to go to and from prone instead of binding a new key.)

I had considered using looping scripts that would check if the player was pressing the crouch key, but after some limited coop testing on a local network, with so many weapon actions happening every tic, I found that GZDoom was having problems executing every action for every player. (main culprits here being the range finder on scopes and laser dot sights) Thus adding yet another looping script seemed like it would only add to the problems for multi-player compatibility, so I ultimately chose to go the puke method since it activates the script once without looping it over and over. Plus as a tiny bonus, it follow Novalogic's Delta Force games behavior with a key for standing, crouch, and prone individually.

3. The guns are really, really inaccurate :( I'm prone, immobile and zoomed in on the AUG and it still doesn't seem like my shots are reliably going where the little red dot is - they're generally within the view of the scope, but... well...
Basically anything I can reliably shoot I wouldn't need the scope to see.

This inaccuracy is mostly a holdover from the main gameplay mod which is going to have various upgrade options, some of which can improve accuracy. Most weapons as a whole are going to have a less base accuracy than many other mods and games as I imagine them being fired from the hip. However, using a scope or dropping to a crouch or prone position is supposed to simulate actually aiming the weapon, hence the slower movement speed and improved recoil control. As it currently stands, scopes and laser dot sights give an accuracy bonus of 25% except for sniper rifles which get a tremendously larger bonus. Crouching gives 10-30% bonus to accuracy depending on weapon type and going prone gives a 15-50% bonus depending on weapon type. To me the weapons mostly felt fine as is, which is why I didn't change them much from the main gameplay mod, but if you guys think they need better base accuracy or better bonuses when using sights or moving to a better firing position, I am willing to make some changes, it is why I released this little stand-alone weapon mod in the first place.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”