[WIP] Troodon

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
breadbagfly

[WIP] Troodon

Post by breadbagfly »

edit: nice of course i had to make a friggin thread of project ill inevitably loose all the goddamn progress on lol

For long was thinking to make map or mod in heavy inspiration from Turok and Turok 2, and rest is well stuff

The primary difference or "twist" on this is that you are uglyass humanoid raptor cus generally why not in this point. In a vast jungle in obscurity (Insert whole bunch of friggin Lost land references here cant be arsed for plotlines yet),
you find yourself to suddenly be a near-extinct saurian subspecies after a chance of finally getting cozy in the jungle which is an achievement itself. Hunted by humans, rival saurian species and suspiciously manipulated wildlife, naturally you are fucking pissed from learning all of that fun stuff.

I planned the maps to have heavy exploring and occasional platforming, also most of health which not hidden in secrets, will come from killing enemies and eating falling bodyparts of them.
This includes hunting neutral NPCs that roam around for health/armor bonus, will also include different types of special flora.

Streamfox also does heavy amount of mapping in it, but the screenshots yet ive done mostly everything. Accurate crediting imma yet leave for later.
3 maps were planned for now, but i think map 1 can be released as beta version, that is when layout, monsters, and guns are mostly done which is a helluva fucking task lol

Concepts (ludicrously outdated)
Spoiler:
pic with models in
not much
Last edited by breadbagfly on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Enjay

Re: [WIP] Troodon

Post by Enjay »

How bizarre. Two "you play as a dinosaur" mods in the making. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55797 Not that I'm complaining. Both look good and seem quite different to each other in style.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

real talk im glad you're putting feathers on the dinosaurs
Nash

Post by Nash »

Those level textures look amazing!
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I'm really digging those screenshots; it looks like a proper stand-alone game to me. I can't wait to see what more you have in store.
P.Rex
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by P.Rex »

Hi, I'm the guy who makes the other "you play as a dinosaur" mod. With a title like Troodon, this mod immediately caught my attention!
Your mod looks fantastic so far. The environments look very detailed, and I appreciate the solid color schemes that help convey the sense of desolation about this place. The jungle environments in particular give me a strong Jurassic the Hunted/2005 King Kong vibe. I wonder, just how anthropomorphic is the protagonist going to be? Other than the two giant talons jutting out of his metacarpals Wolverine-style, the hands at least look very human. I do like the idea of a cynic, self-aware character, it could serve as an effective Wolverine/Turok parody if so you choose.
Your mutant dinosaur concepts look great! Definitely looking forward to seeing them in-game.

Best of luck on your project, and if you need any help with monster sprites, let me know.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Will be keeping an eye out for this, as it looks quite promising indeed. Really digging what little we have so far.
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

woo needless goddamn inactivity, i seem to be good at that
Hi, I'm the guy who makes the other "you play as a dinosaur" mod. With a title like Troodon, this mod immediately caught my attention!
Your mod looks fantastic so far. The environments look very detailed, and I appreciate the solid color schemes that help convey the sense of desolation about this place. The jungle environments in particular give me a strong Jurassic the Hunted/2005 King Kong vibe.
oh hello i was aware of that mod lol, and tried out the demo addon of it in some point. i liked the weapon set being a series of spells that seamlessly change from one another too.
any form of script help might be primary which ill be yet asking later on, cus i still got ridiculously huge chunks to learn with decorate scripting myself, mainly that friggin dreaded inventory scripting which would tho allow all the advanced stuff possible, but something in that i always lose any sort of concentration even to this day. i wouldnt mind some possible contributions on other aspects too, tho the danger is that i always have sorta bad habit of editing or just mangling everything to different shape lol.

about the concepts i keep posting as extra, i planned to just model them myself in blender or sculptris if im desperate and later turn into sprites, which is gonna be painstakingly awful process. id be open to any sort of alternatives so less of dat shit.
I wonder, just how anthropomorphic is the protagonist going to be? Other than the two giant talons jutting out of his metacarpals Wolverine-style, the hands at least look very human.
i think i simply planned him as a dude with wrinkly anemic raptor head lol, and otherwise basic dino characteristics like tail and talons in feet. the human skin color is partly because so i wouldnt need to extensively edit the sprites i made from my hands, which i infact remade recently so any of the ones in screenshots are obsolete now. only too bad i still suck trying to actually draw the guy properly which is odd, eventho the raptors on other hand were far out of comfort zone with doing pics, still the next thing ill do.

on other hand finally figured out how 2 add models after a ton of shit. now actual palm trees, which i found from OpenGameArt and dat saved friggin ton of time, also cus palm trees doesnt actually grow here

chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

ahhh you draw so well!! its gonna be great when this is done
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

So who did the weapon sprites in those screenshots? They look like they belong in a commercial product.
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

the pistol is snapshot of Rhino 200DS revolver by doomsentinel.
talons i painted myself
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It looks very professional! :)

What about the hands?
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

aint my hands fabulous
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Now that's a nice project, different than most we see around. Can't wait to see it done!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just assumed that the talons/hands came from another game somewhere. Colour me impressed.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”