Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: (WIP) Ashes 2063 Total Conversion - Community Questions

Post by Gez »

1. Don't care much for reloading, but I like jumping around.
2. Bike sections could be fun, though perhaps try to make most of them non-mandatory, a way to reach secrets and the like.
3. Protagonist can be anything I suppose. I don't like playing assholes, but other than that, no preference.
4. 3D floors are cool. I'm not talking about using them just for the sake of using them, but when you've got a situation where they'd be logical (like ruined buildings, bridges, etc.) then use them for sure.
5. Sometimes but I mostly play in OpenGL.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: (WIP) Ashes 2063 Total Conversion - Revived

Post by Vostyok »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Been real interesting and has helped get a grasp of where I need to go with this project.

I've had a bit of a problem with Imgur the last few days so I haven't been able to post much. Got some new screens for you below, though.

@ GAA1992 haha you're mod actually fits the post-apocalyptic theme surprisingly well. Like humanity has disappeared and the spiders have finally revealed the power they've been hiding all this time. Some parts are clearly designed for ranged opponents, so picking the spiders off at range is quite easy.... then a big swarm charges you in a dark corner somewhere and you get to eat humble pie. Bwahahahahah.

Anyway, I've been giving some structure to the Subway map. It's actually the biggest map I've ever worked on, and even a casual walkthrough with no actors took about 10 minutes to complete. Lot's of dark corners, some big open spaces, some puzzles involving machinery and a couple of deep chasms. Shouldn't get boring, and I've tried not to turn it into the dreaded "sewer level" you get in a lot of games.

There may be a sneaky reference or two to Metro2033, Planet Of The Apes, and more if you keep your eyes peeled. Haha.

Also working on a new player sprite, still need to pallete match him for teamcolor compatibility.

Once the layout is done I can start adding actors, since it's a bit empty at the moment. As before, if anyone has any suggestions feel free to give voice to them.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

>Metro2033, Planet Of The Apes

Don't tease us. And don't forget Mad Max as well :p

Thanks you like the mod. 4.0 is almost running and it fixes some... behaviours. Some foes are even deadlier than before. I'm sure i'll enjoy to play it with your mapset. ;)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Vostyok wrote:Also working on a new player sprite, still need to pallete match him for teamcolor compatibility.

That station map looks flawless and nice! And perhaps put green kneecaps to him?
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

Wow, just played through the demo and I gotta say this is one of the most promising TC's for Doom I've ever seen (despite fall damage, my greatest enemy.)
Would love to contribute if anything needs helping with. I don't have any real experience with doom creation but I did use to make tons of pixelart.

Edit: Oh and if it hasn't been fixed already, in the demo you can stand on flaming barrels without taking damage.
Vostyok

Re: (WIP) Ashes 2063 Total Conversion - New Screens

Post by Vostyok »

BoJustBo wrote:Wow, just played through the demo and I gotta say this is one of the most promising TC's for Doom I've ever seen (despite fall damage, my greatest enemy.)
Would love to contribute if anything needs helping with. I don't have any real experience with doom creation but I did use to make tons of pixelart.

Edit: Oh and if it hasn't been fixed already, in the demo you can stand on flaming barrels without taking damage.
Ah, yeah the original demo is so out of date I had to remove it from front page. If you have downloaded the old beta Alpha you have a piece of history in your hands. I'm hopefully uploading a new demo soon.

(note: trying to get some new screenshots out in a few hours. If not, well, rest assured I'm still busy mashing away at this thing :) )

edit: Here you go. Been working on finishing off the subway, as well as tentatively starting pulling together another map. Wondering about some puzzles.... should be fun thinking something up...
Spoiler:
BoJustBo

Re: (WIP) Ashes 2063 Total Conversion - New screens

Post by BoJustBo »

The screenshot with the dark pits and glowing shrooms really remind me of Ultima Underworld.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

BoJustBo wrote:The screenshot with the dark pits and glowing shrooms really remind me of Ultima Underworld.
Haha cool. That's the kinda atmosphere I'm going for.

Feel free to help out if you like.
Right now I'm looking for props to decorate maps with.
mekanchest

Post by mekanchest »

hey the mod looks good in the new maps :3, i´ll waiting the new beta, btw cool sprite for the player, i´m made my own version jeje only for practice because your sprite work it´s cool
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Haha looks like you got a similar setup to me - paint.net with 10000 images open.

Glad I could inspire you!
Axebeard

Post by Axebeard »

Hey man, glad to see you're still working on this. I stumbled across it like over 6 months ago when I was working on my own Doom post-apoc mod. I never finished it, but I used some of your monsters. Let me know if you need any help with sprites or maps, I'm pretty decent at both. From what I can remember, I had road flares, a damn sweet looking molotov cocktail (I even added the Brutal Doom firedeath sprites to your zombiemen), and a crossbow with bolts that stuck in walls that could be upgraded to fire bolts that pierce through enemies. There's also a gas mask that you can take on and off, and has it's own hitpoints (cracks on the lens), complete with breathing sound effects and a HUD. I was going to implement some sort of weapon customization system, but got bored. Now that I've returned to Doom I'll either lend a hand here or work on my own shit.

Oh yeah, one criticism/complaint: don't overwrite the vanilla Doom textures.
I was using your textures and was very annoyed when I noticed that. It screwed up whatever I was trying to do (this was a while ago and I don't exactly remember).
BFG

Post by BFG »

This mod is just epic, it is like a love letter to those 1980's post-apocalyptic action films.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I have to admit I really like what I see. This looks very solid at its current state
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

Ok so I made some test graphics. I learned two things.
1. Doom graphics are really quite small, that's why there are two versions of the canine skeleton, the big one was done first but then I looked at it next to some actual doom graphics and it was huge. The skull on the sign was size referenced from some vanilla graphics to not do the same mistake again.
2. Quite a lot of colors per sprite in Doom. I feel both of these have a lot more restricted palettes than the vanilla graphics do (but I did use colors picked from the original doom palette.) I'm used to do NES or SNES style graphics with tight limits on the amount of colors used.

Anyways critique is welcome.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Thanks for the comments! Sorry I haven't been on for a while. Busy time at work and home. I'm working on a few bits and pieces I've had requests for in the next few days as well. Oh, if you've asked me for something and it seems like i've forgotten you, don't worry. I will try and get round to it as soon as possible.

anyways....

@ Axebeard

That gas mask code sounds pretty nifty. Was thinking about using something similar for a new radsuit, but didn't really know where to begin. If you want to lend a hand on anything, let me know by PM. I always welcome anyone wanting to get involved :)
Oh, and the textures lump is now added-to rather than using replacements. There are a few floor/ceiling replacements (as it is just easier for now), but the .wad is not really designed to be mixed with other maps. Let me know if you remember what problems you were having.

@ BoJustBo

Those bones sure could come in handy for the desert themed map. I got a use for those signs too. I will credit you of course.

@ Everyone. Got some new screens up. I'm pretty happy with layout for this map. Dreading starting the next map, though. Might leave that one until after demo release. It's going to be... apocalyptic in scale.

800 x 450 images:
Spoiler:
edit: Also, wondering if this map should have swimmable deep water sections. Might be a bit jarring/annoying though. Since it would be a one-off for now.... hmm...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”