[Release] Waterlab GZD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: [Release] Waterlab GZD

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:By the way, the inly gripe I actually have with the map is the usage of SHAWN/SILVER-alike textures here and there (e.g. at the beginning the water tanks). The whole map has this rusty and dirty design, so the clean shawn textures feel like a foreign matter.
Fair comment, and thanks for the feedback but I'm happy with how the SHAWN-like textures were used.

The initial tank area was done like that because it's similar to how it was in the original Legacy map and I wanted to echo that. Other than that, I tried to use clean/shiny only in areas where it made sense to me - e.g. pistons on machines that were moving and keeping themselves clean, antennae or piping conduits that might be made of stainless steel etc. I did grungy it up a bit with a little noise though. ;)

Also, I was actually worried that the map was so grungy, rusty and metal that it was becoming dull and featureless (hence the "Too Much Metal...like waaay too much" comment).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

First post updated: the secrets spoiler now has a video with how to find all the secrets shown. I advise not looking at it until you have played (if you're going to) because it gives a lot away.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:By the way, the inly gripe I actually have with the map is the usage of SHAWN/SILVER-alike textures here and there (e.g. at the beginning the water tanks). The whole map has this rusty and dirty design, so the clean shawn textures feel like a foreign matter. Maybe you would like to replace them with something else that fits better to the rest of the look?
OK, I've been thinking about this and have gone back into the map for a look. You may be right. I still think I need some cleaner/more silvery textures in there to prevent the whole thing just becoming a complete rust-fest so please feel free to try the following file:

[edit] File removed - now encorporated in the main download. [/edit]

I just dirtied up the SHAWN and SHAWN-like textures a little bit and stuck them into a PK3. Load them after the main mod and tell me what you think. I'm honestly not sure either way so feedback would help. If this is considered to be better, I'll update the main package.
Last edited by Enjay on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

My only gripe with the aesthetics is that it is a rust fest even with the shawn that you've used. I say use more of it in more places. The stuff in that pk3 you just posted is pretty good I think.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the feedback. When it was just a small vanilla-ish map, playing it was over and done with quickly enough that the all-rust look of the interior didn't matter (in fact, it was fine and exactly the experience I wanted to create). As the map got bigger, I did become aware that it was becoming one huge block of rusty metal. However, I decided not to break it up further than I did. Indeed, I really wanted the lower sections in particular to feel like a big rusty industrial container of a building set deep into the ground but I can easily see how it might be considered too much metal/rust. On balance, though, that is still the look I was going for and it's why the stone/concrete/whatever that stuff that the exterior walls are made of is also a very similar colour to the metal textures.

I don't plan on going back and doing much reworking of the map unless someone finds something seriously wrong with it (which I hope won't be the case because I did test it pretty thoroughly myself) but a quick drop-in fix like the modified textures (or similar) is OK.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Enjay, 2nd and 7th secrets were the ones that I missed and now I understand the way to reach the 3rd one...
To me, the most clever secret is the 16th one and the 12th one is simply brilliant.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

zrrion the insect wrote:The stuff in that pk3 you just posted is pretty good I think.
I agree with that, I like the changes to the textures you've made here :)
Gez

Post by Gez »

You should include credits for the music. I recognize the title theme from TES: Arena and one of the tracks from Descent.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You're absolutely right.

I actually just got those music lumps from a huge directory of midi files on my HD and I didn't know where they came from originally. Thanks for identifying them.

There's also an edited version of a track from Heretic in there and an alternative version of D_EVIL for the cast call. That's definitely from Wolfenstein but I'm not sure which one - I don't *think* the PC one. [edit] I think it's the Jaguar version. [/edit]

First post updated.

PK3 has also been updated with a slightly altered map, additional credits and the altered Shawn-like textures. Not really worth a second download unless anyone is really desperate to get the changes in their copy.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Looking forward to tearing this set up! I enjoy your maps, Enjay - you bring the 3D FPS feel from the early 2000's to Doom with a beautiful aesthetic!!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you very much, especially for that article on Realm 667. :D
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

I enjoyed the map.
I liked the aesthetics, level design and the custom monsters especially the
Spoiler:
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Oooh! Does this have big underwater areas? Nobody else seems to do those...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's really only got one small secret underwater bit. All the rest of the water is knee deep at most. Sorry.

Return to “Levels”