Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
RockstarRaccoon

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - Version 3 Fighter Demo

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Well I'm glad I know that this exists now and didn't keep working on my project. If I'd known about this sooner, I wouldn't have even started...

I'll post what I have in a moment...
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Okay, you can download the demo in the video's description.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

It looks really cool, i think, i prefer the gameplay without so much rpg elements (like in brutal/original heretic/hexen), but need more mods for those games !

Are you gonna do some change for Brutal Heretic ? For me, it was near to be finished, i would want just the fire rain thing of the tomed hell staff (it's really epic in the original heretic) and some balance maybe?

The tomed crossbow was so epic ! :D
RockstarRaccoon

Ok, this is what I have...
Resources - ZHexen.pk3
Maps - ZHexen_Maps.wad

Aaand that's the last I'm gonna work on this, most likely, seeing as you have WAY more done than I ever will...
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Alright, I have to sleep now, but I'll check out that stuff tomorrow. We can also discuss what you want to do for the project. If you'd rather private message me about that, feel free to do so.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Seidolon wrote:The hexen 2 spider is actually just one of many wildlife enemies that randomly generate from decoration objects. They're not actually placed in the map, but just spawned in by already existing objects. You also have the option to turn off the wildlife in the menu, unless that's in the build that I haven't released yet.

I'm planning on uploading a video to youtube and posting it here soon showing another hexen project that I have had sitting dormant for quite some time. I think a lot of people will be impressed by what I have to show off there. Unfortunately, gzdoom's being a prick, so it might be a while before I record the video. If you like what you see in that video, you can feel free to help out with that too. I'll probably need a lot of people to help out with that project anyways, because it's gonna be a big one.

EDIT:
I decided to man up and just record the damn video.
I really like what I see Seidolon, very nice work! Also I can see that you used some stuff from Gore, but I am ok with it 8-)

[EDIT]: Don't forget to add DistanceCheck tweaks for 3d actors, so players can scale down details in order to get a good in-game performance.
RockstarRaccoon

So... I watched the video... Thought about it...

I don't like it.

There's a nice big open world and some technically impressive interesting, but it looks like it ends up being a cheaper version of Elder Scrolls 2, which Hexen was better than to begin with. The NPCs are clearly a technical achievement, but I don't see the point: why make a Hexen WAD about watching NPCs punch each other to death?

You have a very large map there, and it has decent details so far, but there's nothing really compelling about it as far as I can tell, just a series of random encounters and odd side-quests in a big field. This feels like the traversal between dungeons, and the dungeons would have to really step it up to make this very generic and muddled wilderness be worth crossing... Do you have any dungeons? Mountain passes? Notable locations?

My idea was to use the original plot and level progression of Hexen to create a series of compelling events which have both meaningful player progression (aka, item gathering and no combat-leveling) and a crafted experience by laying out the areas, not just filling open wilderness with random stuff. I'm guessing you intend to do something like that eventually, but as a proof of concept, this should have attempted more of that...
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Well, this is just a demo, so it's just supposed to show off some of the features I've made. There will be a main storyline for the mod. The NPC quests are just optional features that can be ignored. There's going to be a lot more in the finished product than what you see here.
RockstarRaccoon

Yeah, I figured, it's just a such a wide deviation from Hexen's gameplay is all...

I'm probably a bit jaded from the issues with the project I was planning too, because of how different this is, but we need to talk about that still...

Edit: So like... Right now, I'm caught between getting into the workflow of this project and trying to start my own ZHexen project. In the meantime, I'll just work on Metroid...
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Yeah, I figured, it's just a such a wide deviation from Hexen's gameplay is all...
I think that was kind of the point... XD
RockstarRaccoon

Sorry if my criticism came off as a bit harsh: I was a little peeved to find I'd started a project and that someone else had done something really similar already.

This is very technically impressive, it's just lacking the kind of gameplay I'd be interested in.
RockstarRaccoon

Just found a serious problem with this: you used HUDMessage index 1 for something. Big problem. That should be reserved for mappers: anyone making an enhancement mod should be using something above 100, possibly 200, to prevent collisions.

As of now, this makes pretty much all the HUDMessages on my maps not work.
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

Wow, I am impressed with the visuals. I don't think they can look any more pleasing than they do now.

I really can't wait for the future. I hope there is more features to come in the next updates, especially with the visual aesthetic eyecandy.

I think bloom looks so pretty with everything to be honest so I'll be sure to use that whilst playing this. :mrgreen:
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Just found a serious problem with this: you used HUDMessage index 1 for something. Big problem. That should be reserved for mappers: anyone making an enhancement mod should be using something above 100, possibly 200, to prevent collisions.

Okay, well I didn't know you were using Brutal Hexen RPG in your mod. I'll make sure to change it when I get around to updating the mod.
RockstarRaccoon

Seidolon wrote:
RockstarRaccoon wrote:Just found a serious problem with this: you used HUDMessage index 1 for something. Big problem. That should be reserved for mappers: anyone making an enhancement mod should be using something above 100, possibly 200, to prevent collisions.

Okay, well I didn't know you were using Brutal Hexen RPG in your mod. I'll make sure to change it when I get around to updating the mod.
I'm not, though I might ask you to help me incorporate parts of the code. This is just a standard thing: gameplay-changing mods should never use indexes of things which mappers are likely to use, so your HUDMessages should always be up in the 100s at least.

In Metroid Doom, I use 388 for most of it, because it's a very random number and a reference to SR-388 which only Metroid stuff would use. My maps then use 1 and 2 if I ever need to have a HUDMessage, because I have control over them.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”