[RESOURCES] Samarai's Bad Sprites

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[RESOURCES] Samarai's Bad Sprites

Post by Samarai1000 »

I've been experimenting with using weapon models I've made in Garry's Mod using the "PAC3" addon as sprites. They barely count as sprites, however, as they're just white-screened screenshots of the weapons with the excess white pixels cleaned off and a pixel filter applied to them. The result is pretty bad, but maybe these could be used for something.

Here's my first spritesheet, if that's what you'd call it, it's a double-barreled semi-automatic shotgun with a foregrip. It has a centered sprite (with a slight tilt, sorry), a angled sprite, and a pickup/side view sprite. No hand edits, but I'll try to accomplish those with my next sprite sets, this is just a test.
Please, provide any feedback you can, feel free to rip this abomination apart if you want to.
Special thanks to Reactor for telling me what to change with this sprite!
I have no idea what the hell this thing is nor what I should call it. It looks like some kind of rifle, or smg, but the barrel and magazine are so big you could pass it off as a shotgun. It also has wings at the back, for some reason. I really have no idea what I was doing when I was designing this at first.
Last edited by Samarai1000 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reactor

Re: [RESOURCES] Samarai's Bad Sprites

Post by Reactor »

Well, they look all right - for a starter. I have only one complaint - quite big - is that you really should clean the edges of the weapon more precisely. If necessary, then do it manually in MSPaint. You see, during hard rips, resizing, and pretty much everything else, colours bleed together at the edges of the objects, creating a thin, but extremely irritating aura. The scientific term for this aura is "shitcrap". It may not be visible on the transparent background, but sooner or later, it will show up in-game.
Removing shitcrap is extremely time-consuming and tedious, but it's very important for a quality work. My suggestion would be to leave this step till the end, and then, remove shitcrap from each frame individually. Paint.NET's magic wand works pretty well, but be careful, it tends to erase vital parts of the image as well.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I noticed that too when making these. I'll go ahead and clean the sprites the best I can and reupload them. Thanks for the feedback!
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I'm really not sure if this looks better or worse, but here's the same sprites with the shitcrap removed. Tell me what you think.
EDIT: Just noticed, upon using the magic wand, there's a few spots I missed. Starting to fix them now. Thanks again for the feedback, though. I'm new to sprite creation and photo manipulation, so you're a huge help.
AlphaEnt
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AlphaEnt »

A good piece of advice: If you're ripping from a game, try to achieve a background as homogeneous as possible.
And if necessary, activate/deactivate some video options from the game itself to improve the screenshots quality.
Some suggestions: No antialiasing, no bloom, no Depth of field, No motion blur.

This is something i had to do to rip Doom 4 weapons properly (and also, other games). Otherwise it would be a pain to crop each sprite manually.
Also, i had a batch processor for cases like this, when you rip tons of sprites at once =P
Spoiler:
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I'll keep all that in mind for next time I make another weapon, which will probably be soon. Thank you so much for the advice, Alpha.
AlphaEnt
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AlphaEnt »

Samarai1000 wrote:I'll keep all that in mind for next time I make another weapon, which will probably be soon. Thank you so much for the advice, Alpha.
You're welcome. You can't imagine how creative you must be sometimes to do a proper rip =P
Spoiler:
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

AlphaEnt wrote:
Samarai1000 wrote:I'll keep all that in mind for next time I make another weapon, which will probably be soon. Thank you so much for the advice, Alpha.
You're welcome. You can't imagine how creative you must be sometimes to do a proper rip =P
Spoiler:
In my case, the only real creative part of making this weapon (and any I make in the future) is actually making the weapon by mashing up different weapon models using PAC3, and that doesn't require much creativity. Due to Garry's Mod being a sandbox game, I can easily create a green/bluescreen of my own, or even just go into gm_construct's extremely bright, fully white room. You can even recolor said room to whatever color you need for editing purposes.
nekostuffing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by nekostuffing »

Samarai1000 wrote:I've been experimenting with using weapon models I've made in Garry's Mod using the "PAC3" addon as sprites. They barely count as sprites, however, as they're just white-screened screenshots of the weapons with the excess white pixels cleaned off and a pixel filter applied to them. The result is pretty bad, but maybe these could be used for something.
I know this post is really old, but still i just wanted to share what i made with the second one.

I was looking for weapons that looked like the ones from a lesser known franchise called Mutant Chronicles, and yours fit the bill so thanks for that.

i used the autoshotgun sprite from brutal_doomv21, to add the upper part of the weapon, whatever its called.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

nekostuffing wrote:*snip*
Hey, necropost or not, I'm happy someone was able to find a use for this extremely short-lived experiment! Nice work on turning it into something presentable!

Return to “Resources”